Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

News on Bionic Woman & Six Million Dollar Man on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that the Bionic Woman was going to be released but no news on the Six Million Dollar Man. I see on Ebay they sell Region 2 Six Million Dollar Man DVDs. Does anyone have any news on this at all?
Old 08-03-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
None that I am aware of. I thought that I had read that these were being considered for early next year.
Anyway, www.TVSHOWSONDVD.com will have info when it does indeed become available.
Old 08-03-04, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Region 2 DVDs are supposed to be of pretty poor quality. I would wait for Region 1 releases. With all the TV on DVD being released these days, it's just a matter of time before the series are released.
Old 08-03-04, 01:09 PM

im sure the six million dollar man will be released to coincide with the release of the remake.

example, starsky and hutch. another thing, whats with todd phillips turning old tv shows into movies lately..
Old 08-03-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SMDM currently has rights issues.
Universal owns the tv show, but the rights to the characters from the book it was based on has changed hands- that will have to be sorted out before any sets come out-
but the presence of the remake in the marketplace would still make this worth the effort and expense.

for that reason, its been said that Bionic Woman is closer to getting a release, and Universal has been dropping hints that it may be towards the end of this year , or more likely, early next year.
i can't wait as BW is one of my favorite series.

i have the R2 dvds, and even with the increased possibility of seeing a R1 set not too far off, i'm still hesitiant to let these go.
the R2 discs are actually very good, PQ wise.
the only point against them is the PAL speedup- but even that doesn't come across as too distracting.
for the time being, i'm happy to have them over nothing
Old 08-04-04, 09:00 PM

I think there is not enough interest in these shows afterall based on the posts.
Old 08-04-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the Bionic Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man would make great DVD sets. Hope to see them in the future.
Old 08-04-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ruderic
I think there is not enough interest in these shows afterall based on the posts.
if these were first broadcast in the '80s this thread would be on two pages already.
sadly, the 70's stuff just has a more limited demographic appeal.
i think the quality of these shows is still high where it counts and i, personally, would much rather have either of these than Knight Rider or A-Team or any of the other fantasy adventure based shows Uni is releasing, but i'm from a slightly older age bracket.

its interesting to see yourself start to fade away as the studios find your demographic irrelevant and strive to pander to the generations that came after you.
and its only gonna get worse.
Old 08-05-04, 06:29 PM

its interesting to see yourself start to fade away as the studios find your demographic irrelevant and strive to pander to the generations that came after you.

It should be noted that Star Trek:TOS is a 60's show and seems to have no trouble getting distribution on DVD; so I wouldn't pigeon-hole the age of the show as being a totally defining factor in what gets to DVD and what doesn't.

For example: In a few weeks we'll finally get the first season of Magnum P.I. on DVD, and that's definitely an 80's show. In the meantime, "Have Gun Will Travel", a show popular in the late 50's!, has had its first season available on DVD for months!

So ... I really can't see where this argument holds a lot of water.
Old 08-05-04, 08:07 PM

Well I have been awaiting those as well as the Wild Wild West and Mission Impossible for a few years now. Lets wait and see.
Old 08-05-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by Joseph B
It should be noted that Star Trek:TOS is a 60's show and seems to have no trouble getting distribution on DVD; so I wouldn't pigeon-hole the age of the show as being a totally defining factor in what gets to DVD and what doesn't.

Not trying to argue but Star Trek does have LEGIONS of fans, 4 spin-off shows, an animated series and 10 feature films over the Six Million Dollar Man.

Not your typical "60's show."

Andrew
Old 08-05-04, 11:03 PM
Suspended

SMDM and the Bionic Woman are high on my want list. I'm somewhat puzzled as to the reason why so many of the classic TV shows from the 70's aren't selling well on DVD.
Old 08-06-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
I would think it's because of the high price points.
Old 08-06-04, 01:58 PM
Suspended

I would buy this (these) series in a hot second. I picked up the UK discs a while ago, and while the show is cheesy as hell, and very much a time-capsule of the 70's - it still rocks hardcore.
Old 08-25-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Bionic Woman just may make it here before the end of the year after all.

hope so anyway.
Old 08-25-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also patiently waiting for the Mission Impossible original series to be on dvd, but since Tom Cruse is not doing the Mission Impossible 3 until late next year we may not see get the original till 2006.
Old 08-25-04, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by ckolchak
The Bionic Woman just may make it here before the end of the year after all.

hope so anyway.
Sweet. I think that there is definitely interest in these shows but the high price on some of these boxed sets is the limiting factor.
Old 08-25-04, 08:40 PM

How many seasons did Bionic Woman go? I like the fact the whole series of Buck Rogers is in 1 set.
Old 08-25-04, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Ruderic
How many seasons did Bionic Woman go? I like the fact the whole series of Buck Rogers is in 1 set.
3 seasons - 58 episodes. Here's a link to an episode guide:

http://epguides.com/BionicWoman/

Hopefully this one will sell well on DVD. Regarding the release of "The Six Million Dollar Man" I'm sure this one will get released as well, especially with a motion picture remake starring Jim Carrey in the works (hopefully in the same fashion as "Starsky and Hutch" got released around the time the motion picture came out).
Old 11-10-04, 12:44 PM
Suspended

Break out the Bell Bottoms! The 6MDM is on the way!

From the Digital Bits:

What's more, at a special 25th anniversary screening last night at the American Cinematheque in Hollywood of the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century theatrical film, Universal Studios Home Entertainment VP of Marketing Robert Reed confirmed that both The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman are currently being prepared for DVD release in 2005. Figured you classic TV fans would like to hear that good news!
Old 03-10-05, 12:36 AM

Any updates?
Old 03-10-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ckolchak
if these were first broadcast in the '80s this thread would be on two pages already.
sadly, the 70's stuff just has a more limited demographic appeal.
i think the quality of these shows is still high where it counts and i, personally, would much rather have either of these than Knight Rider or A-Team or any of the other fantasy adventure based shows Uni is releasing, but i'm from a slightly older age bracket.

I think as time is passing this isn't holding up to be so. We have stuff like The Brady Bunch, Columbo, The A-Team, Green Acres, all getting or having gotten season releases just over the next month or so, all 70's and 60's based, with tons of clamour over wanting a Batman release. A friend of mine just picked up Lost In Space over the weekend, definitely something that caters to the older DVD buyers. You've got obscure stuff like Here's Lucy that's made its way out on DVD in a nice one shot release, so even some of the short run series are getting to an audience. Granted, most all current shows are getting a DVD release but thats to be expected as they are what TV viewers are seeing running today....but we still see lots and lots of older stuff hitting the shelves with more coming. I'd love seeing SMDM come to DVD...the cheese factor would be pretty close to a 10 score on that one