Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Are you buying the Star Wars Trilogy Boxset and Why" Poll!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Are you buying the Star Wars Trilogy Boxset and Why
YES! I prefer the revisions to the original versions!
20.17%
YES! I dislike the changes but hey...it's better than nothing!
54.51%
NO! I hate the revisionsand prefer to own the Original Trilogy only!
18.03%
No! I never planned to own the revised, original or super-duper special edition!
7.30%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

I felt like others were making good points in the other Star Wars threads on how many are buying the revised trilogy being offered in September even though they bitch & moan about the changes. I was going to do this poll closer to the release time but since it is only a month & a half away...why not now.

I personally am passing on the setbeing released this fall. I am a pretty big Star Wars fan but I prefer the OT to what is being released now. What are you doing?
Old 08-02-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just wanted to see some hard numbers on this since it has been talked about more than most any subject here at DVDTalk.
Old 08-02-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Come November... I'll still be watching my LaserDiscs. The SE's (Or SE-SE's) just ain't the same movies. Sorry.
Old 08-02-04, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need another option. Yes I am buying it, but I can't comment on the revisions until I actually see them. I wish the OT was available in it's original state...but I think I can be happy with the changes if they make the movie better (better leads to an entirely different debate)

Anyway I haven't given up hope that the originals will some day come out. This is the money hungry Lucas we're talking about. Having live the the OT on laserdisc, i can say there were a least 5 different releases...so what would this be the last time for dvd. Let's face it on some arbitray anivs. date he'll release the "throwback" original version and make a killing!
Old 08-02-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it needs another "yes" option:

Yes, because despite the changes, the good still outweigh the bad.
Old 08-02-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bossman284
I need another option. Yes I am buying it, but I can't comment on the revisions until I actually see them.
Well, I did it like this b/c there is so much discussion of the changes in the Special Editions and even the new changes in the other threads as well as clips, stills, etc., of I figured most people have decided whether they like the changes or not.
Old 08-02-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm definitely buyin' it. I voted for choice B.
Old 08-02-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far, I'm the only one who's voted for the last choice.

I've never seen any of the Star Wars films, nor do I have any desire to.

Rob
Old 08-02-04, 03:16 PM

Wow... over 50% (as of this post) don't like the changes, but will still be buying it.

Weak people
Old 08-02-04, 03:16 PM

I think it also needs a "Yes, I don't care about the changes" option
Old 08-02-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
While I dislike the changes, I don't get my panties in a bunch about it so of course I'll buy it.
Old 08-02-04, 03:21 PM
Retired

Yes. I like most of the changes. Greedo shooting first and the shoddy Jabba CGI in ANH were the only ones I disliked.

The first supposedly looks better with them firing at the same time, and the Jabba CGI looks MUCH better IMO, so I can't wait for the DVDs.
Old 08-02-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you need a "Im sitting on the Fence until nearer the release date" option as well as a "Its a renter for me" option.
Old 08-02-04, 03:25 PM
Retired

It's a renter means your not buying it, so no need for that option given the title/focus of the thread.
Old 08-02-04, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Where's the "I'm buying and I dont really mind the changes" option?
Old 08-02-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Well, I did it like this b/c there is so much discussion of the changes in the Special Editions and even the new changes in the other threads as well as clips, stills, etc., of I figured most people have decided whether they like the changes or not.
The problem is that there is a big difference between liking the changes and preferring the changes. I like the changes, but I like the originals just as much (perhaps a little more, in some cases).

So, since I had no vote option to represent how I really feel, I chose A, since saying I dislike the changes would be a lie, and there are a few changes that I really do prefer.
Old 08-02-04, 03:31 PM

NO! I hate the revisionsand prefer to own the Original Trilogy only!

What happens when HD-DVD comes along? Another updated version(s)? I'll pass. I only wanted to see the ORIGINAL theatrical cut that's all, not some updated and ruined version.

Thanks but not thanks.
Old 08-02-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope, passing on this one... And I had no intention of buying it, so it doesn't really matter to me what ends up being released. I do get a kick out of reading the Star Wars threads though, from time to time... I loved the films when I was a kid, I'm of "first run" age (34) where I saw them all in the theater many times... But now? They just don't hold up, at all, for me... With all of the other great releases this fall, this is an easy set to pass on.
Old 08-02-04, 03:40 PM

Yes, because I'm getting it for free. If I wasn't getting it for free, there would be no way I'd be spending money on this set until the orginal version are released.
Old 08-02-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes I will buy them. Frankly I don't care about revisions.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I already have it preordered, unfortunately w/ DDD during their recent coupon and I can't seem to cancel it It's not that big of a deal but in retrospect it occured to me that it would have been better to wait until #3 is finished and then pick up the inevitable box set that'll be out. I mean I enjoy the movies but I certainly could have rented this batch and waited.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Huge Star Wars fan here.

I think what really turned me off against Lucas (well, aside from the '97 versions and Episode I), was when the new DVDs were announced and Jim Ward, VP of Marketing at Lucasfilm, made the following statement:

"We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...004/02_10.html

Well George, the funny thing is, this country actually IS a democracy. And I'll be voting "NO" with my wallet on September 21st. Yeah, it pains me a little, since seeing Star Wars at such an early age is probably the reason why I am such a film buff today. But I refuse to be one of those people who "doesn't like it but is going to buy it anyway." I would liken that to buying a colorized version of Citizen Kane or supporting fullscreen DVDs so we go back to the pre-Criterion days of pan & scan. I will not support a new trend to revise history and forever lose the original versions of classic cinema.

I just wish others would do the same and send a loud message to Lucas that we will not stand for it.

Last edited by rennervision; 08-02-04 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went with the yes, but dislike the changes. I hate the new movies, and think that the original should stand on its own, and not coupled with the modern tripe.
Old 08-02-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course I'm buying them! I like those movies. If you don't, DON'T but it and DON'T complain about it.

I don't like vegetables, but you don't hear me telling the whole world how they shouldn't eat vegetables because I don't like them!
Old 08-02-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I'll buy it.

George Lucas is the filmmaker. These are his babies, and as far as I'm concerned, what he says goes when it comes to Star Wars.

I'm a bigger fan of the OT (with the exception of some of the truly horrid effects...for example I feel the space battle at the end of ANH is MUCH improved in the new versions) but I really feel this is the only way I'll own any version of Star Wars on DVD, so that's fine with me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.