DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Flash Gordon (1980) on DVD? (SE in the works - merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/374659-flash-gordon-1980-dvd-se-works-merged.html)

Snowmaker 04-04-05 06:14 PM

Still debating ....

Would like to hear a more definite answer on the SE.

bryce0lynch 04-04-05 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by chente
I watched my LD of it last months and still love it!

Flash Gordon
Quarterback
New York Jets

If I'm ever captured by aliens and forced in to a brutal gladatorial fight to the death, THAT is how I'm going to introduce myself!

Oh, and I also pledge to call my spaceship "Rocketship Ajax"

You should too!

JesseCuster 04-05-05 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by NavinJohnson
Ornella Muti was a very distracting actress. :o

She was a hottie but I actually liked Melody Anderson better. As a ten year old, her glowy hypno-orgasm scene was um, eye opening. :drool:

Rogue588 04-05-05 01:38 AM

Dude, that'd be a sexy sandwich right there..

Snowmaker 04-23-05 05:40 PM

Any update?

Giantrobo 04-24-05 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I kinda hate to ask...what was the first? ;)

Popeye :up:

mrcoaster 04-24-05 01:29 PM

Very eager to pick up the new version of this movie myself. I've been waiting a long time.

Oh, and the hypno-Melody Anderson scene was indeed VERY exciting for me the first time I watched it back in the day. ;)

Tenacious D 06-16-05 02:51 PM

I'm really hoping the 2-disc SE sees the light of day. Any updates on this?

bboisvert 06-16-05 03:25 PM

I hadn't taken this out for a spin in years, so I popped it on the other day. Wow, this has terrible picture quality. I mean really bad.

It didn't seem so terrible last time, but since upgrading to a decent 16x9 HDTV... wow. It's borderline unwatchable. There is film grain bigger than my head in this transfer.

It found its way to eBay pretty quickly... if people are going to pay $50 for this, I'm happy to oblige. :)

I too am hoping that Universal manages to get us a decent SE soon. There's definitely room for improvement on all counts -- picture, sound, and supplements.

Snowmaker 06-16-05 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
I'm really hoping the 2-disc SE sees the light of day. Any updates on this?

I already unloaded my OOP version on ebay (got $64 for it :eek: ) so I sure hope this thing sees the light of day.

Cameron 07-28-05 10:33 PM

its coming across the pond....i'm sure the U.S version isn't far behind

from the bits

Other DVD news today... some of you are going to be pleased... or not... with this. Momentum Pictures in the U.K. is preparing a Flash Gordon: Silver Anniversary Edition DVD... for release in the U.K.. We're trying to find out if this will also be released in the States and, if so, who will handle the distribution (we understand that there's some confusion as to who owns the U.S. release rights - we've got questions into Universal, so hopefully we'll know more soon). The DVD will street on 10/10 in the U.K., featuring anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio, audio commentary by director Mike Hodges and an interview with him as well, a second audio commentary with actor Brian Blessed, a photo slideshow, the original Queen theatrical trailer, and the first episode of the original 1940s serial Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe. You can read more on the Queen Online and Bryan May websites (thanks to a number of Bits readers for the links). Here's a look at the cover art...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ilverukdvd.jpg

bboisvert 07-28-05 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
its coming across the pond....i'm sure the U.S version isn't far behind

I wouldn't be so sure. I won't pretend to understand the rights issues involved, but if you look at other Momentum Pictures special editions in Region 2 of Universal properties (They Live, Prince of Darkness), the R1 editions were pathetic and bare-bones.

I'm not convinced that R1 will see an edition that is this good.

marty888 07-29-05 08:23 AM

Well, if by the time this R2 (it looks great!) hits the streets nothing has been confirmed for R1, I'll probably go ahead and order it - along with <i>Class of 1984</i> which has now gone off the R1 radar.

Cameron 07-29-05 10:41 PM

yah, i think with more people going region free they need to get the R1 rolling or risk losing the sells of hardcore dvd buyers

Tenacious D 10-06-05 07:21 AM

Well with the R2 UK version supposedly being released next week, I thought I'd bump this in the hopes that someone has some R1 news to report. This is my most wanted DVD. I want a R1 2 disc SE!

scott shelton 10-06-05 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Well with the R2 UK version supposedly being released next week, I thought I'd bump this in the hopes that someone has some R1 news to report. This is my most wanted DVD. I want a R1 2 disc SE!

Tease.

speedy1961 10-06-05 10:10 AM

Has this been seen on any reliable sites like CD-WOW?

I may just have to double dip on this one (I already own the French version).

marty888 10-06-05 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by speedy1961

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...714568-0794035

bboisvert 10-06-05 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by speedy1961

I've ordered mine from Amazon, which is about as reliable as you can get...

chente 12-29-05 10:56 AM

I'm in Mexico right now and saw a R4 version of this movie in anamorphic widescreen at Walmart for less than $20. It looked like a Studio Canal disc and was in DD5.1 I might pick it up before I return to the states.

Giles 12-29-05 11:01 AM

yeah, aint that a steal, bought this along with the SE of The Company of Wolves

Snowmaker 02-03-06 11:55 AM

Any updates on a R1 version yet?

Snowmaker 04-26-06 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Any updates on a R1 version yet?

OK, how about now?

Tenacious D 04-27-06 06:30 AM

Damn you Universal! I want this so bad! :brickwl:

whoster69 04-27-06 08:54 AM

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it too!