DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Flash Gordon (1980) on DVD? (SE in the works - merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/374659-flash-gordon-1980-dvd-se-works-merged.html)

Snowmaker 03-29-05 07:52 PM

Wonder if I should put my OOP one up on ebay ...

Cameron 03-29-05 07:57 PM

from mike

[QUOTE=Mike Lowrey]Also in the news accompanying the Lynch Dune news, thedigitalbits also reports the following:

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
By the way, I was also able to confirm with Universal that a Flash Gordon: Special Edition is currently in production. No specs or release information is available yet, but it's good to know that the 80s sci-fi/camp classic is finally getting the long-awaited attention it deserves on DVD. We'll post more as soon as we hear anything.

As I used to like this film, but I'm not sure it's one of those I'd be interested in today...kinda goes along the same lines as Ice Pirates.

Which kinda makes me wonder, if some of those early '80s campy sci-fi films could be remade today using modern effects and production values. By that I mean, not necessarily remake the movies using the same script, but do them using the "universe" in which they created.

Mike Lowrey 03-29-05 08:03 PM

Cameron...I, King Lowrey, now pronounce you the Prince of Repost Police. :D

resinrats 03-29-05 08:16 PM

Too bad they couldn't put out the soundtrack with JUST the music. The one out now has tons of audio clips from the movie. Its like they recorded the sountrack from the final film and got all the talking in there.

Rogue588 03-29-05 10:04 PM

Hmm...

Wonder if they'll do an Isolated Score track?

talemyn 03-29-05 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Hmm...

Wonder if they'll do an Isolated Score track?

Aww c'mon . . . "Flash . . . a-aaaaah!" just isn't the same without the visuals. ;)

Rammsteinfan 03-29-05 10:26 PM

2nd Best movie of 1980! I so love this movie.

Mike Lowrey 03-29-05 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
2nd Best movie of 1980! I so love this movie.

I kinda hate to ask...what was the first? ;)

scott shelton 03-29-05 10:49 PM

I kinda hate to ask...what was the first? ;)

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

talemyn 03-29-05 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

That was my guess too. :)

Mountain Biker 03-29-05 11:35 PM

Great news :thumbsup:

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief as I sold my oop copy a few months ago in anticipation of an SE this year.

Rammsteinfan 03-29-05 11:48 PM

ESB cant be beat in 1980.

dollfins1 03-29-05 11:50 PM

'bout time!

meritocracy 03-30-05 01:03 AM

Great to finally hear confirmation of this. Time to hit ebay with my OOP.

D-Ball 03-30-05 01:38 AM

This is typical. I just got the OOP version about a week ago.

Matthew Chmiel 03-30-05 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by resinrats
Too bad they couldn't put out the soundtrack with JUST the music. The one out now has tons of audio clips from the movie. Its like they recorded the sountrack from the final film and got all the talking in there.

:thumbsup: You don't know who and what I would kill to get a soundtrack with just simply the music for the flick.

Cameron 03-30-05 01:59 AM

Cameron...I, King Lowrey, now pronounce you the Prince of Repost Police. :D

I am what I am

Daniel-A 03-30-05 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Wonder if I should put my OOP one up on ebay ...

Put it up to end on Sunday, before the news spreads.

Geofferson 03-30-05 08:47 AM

Most excellent! :up:

boc4ever 03-30-05 09:07 AM

Hopefully they will include the documentary from the French set. That also had a copy of the soundtrack included. And yes, the movie is cheesy, but I just watched it the other day and found it entertaining...

chente 03-30-05 10:53 AM

I watched my LD of it last month and still love it!

Flash Gordon
Quarterback
New York Jets

Dr. DVD 03-30-05 11:29 AM

IF this follows the pattern of other Universal SEs, I wouldn't hold my breath for this one.

Mike Lowrey 03-30-05 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

DOH! Should've known.

Snowmaker 03-30-05 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Put it up to end on Sunday, before the news spreads.

I just set up a Seller's account. Hopefully its easier to sell something than it looks. :(

bboisvert 03-30-05 12:18 PM

Before everyone rushes to eBay to sell your OOP Image discs, remember that this is UNIVERSAL we're talking about. They have an incredibly long history of announcing titles and then pulling them at the last minute. A lot of people that dumped their Double Indemnity discs when that was announced ended up having to buy them back later. ;)