DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Flash Gordon (1980) on DVD? (SE in the works - merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/374659-flash-gordon-1980-dvd-se-works-merged.html)

Daniel L 07-13-04 10:08 PM

Flash Gordon (1980) on DVD?

Is Flash Gordon from 1980 on DVD? If so, where can I find it? What features does it have? I used to love this movie as a kid and would really like to pick it up.

Sessa17 07-13-04 10:37 PM

Yes it's on DVD.

I don't think it has any extras. It's out of print & in a crappy snapper case.

bboisvert 07-13-04 10:43 PM

You'll have to go to eBay and pay some pretty hefty prices to get the legit Region 1 edition, which is currently out of print.

There are a lot of boots out there, though... so be careful. You want the R1 Image Entertainment edition in a snapper case.

marty888 07-13-04 10:59 PM

This was one of many titles that Universal licensed to Image in the early days of DVD - this particular title was released in 1998. Universal has all the titles back under their control, and slowly they seem to be re-releasing them on their own label.

Joe Molotov 07-13-04 11:00 PM

I'm still kicking myself for not just picking this up when it was $10. This and MST3K: The Movie. I pased them over so many times thinking I'd get them some other day, and then never did.

speedy1961 07-13-04 11:04 PM

The French version is good (except for burned in subtitles).

CaptGideon 11-05-04 12:54 PM

This is a movie that deserves a special edition. I always passed on buying this on DVD since it was just a bare bones release.
If it's out of print, hopefully that's a good sign that a special edition isn't too far down the road. There are plenty of other DVDs to keep me amused in the meantime I don't feel the urge to pay dollar to buy a DVD I wouldn't buy back when in it was print.

darqleo 11-05-04 12:56 PM

Unfortunately we will probably have to wait for the release of the Stephen Sommers' Flash Gordon movie to hit the theaters before we'll see this in-print on DVD again.

CaptGideon 11-05-04 01:06 PM

Stephen Summers is doing a Flash Gordon remake? Ouch. I had no idea. A remake could be very cool. But Stephen Summers? Man that could really, really suck. The Mummy was OK as best. Mummy 2 was weak. I passed on Van Helsing after hearing a lot of bad stuff. But if a Stephen Summer's Flash Gordon is unavoidable, I wish him well. Maybe he'll surprise me and make a great movie.

NotEd 11-05-04 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
I'm still kicking myself for not just picking this up when it was $10. This and MST3K: The Movie. I pased them over so many times thinking I'd get them some other day, and then never did.
Have them both myself. Not missing much, quality-wise, although at least it's letterboxed.

I read somewhere on another board that there is a Region 1 special edition in the works. I'm afraid that I can't find verification elsewhere.

steelpotato 11-05-04 06:40 PM

Just released Region 4 is anomorphic OAR

Playitagainsam 11-05-04 06:42 PM

HTF announces there is a SE coming in Jan/Feb 2005.

And for owners of the R2 version, there is a way to get rid of the forced subtitles. Look for the procedure in the thread at HTF.

cross 11-05-04 08:47 PM

Love that Queen Soundtrack

RichardW 11-05-04 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
HTF announces there is a SE coming in Jan/Feb 2005.
It figures. I just ordered the Region 3 disc from KoreanDVDs.com.

Snowmaker 11-05-04 09:08 PM

Glad I got mine when I did. Still, an SE would be good.

Playitagainsam 11-05-04 09:21 PM

My mistake... no date announced yet, I confused it with another title. But looks promising, anyway:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=215723

Fok 11-05-04 09:50 PM

I'm hoping this will be released as well, great movie.

mike45 11-05-04 10:06 PM

I'm also glad I got mine when it first came out.

Great unappreciated movie.

Rammsteinfan 11-05-04 10:18 PM

WHOOOOOA! If they do re-release it next year then I can retire my current disc which I love but it is in dire need of an update. Im already seeing it as the best DVD of 2005!!!! :)

landosystem 11-20-04 03:15 AM

Yay! I have the OG edition and the french edition but I'll gladly buy this one as well, it is my favorite film after all... now if only I could convince my work to get thier hands on the restoration, that'd be the highlight of my film cleaning career!

basaro 11-20-04 09:03 AM

I saw this on On Demand last week. I was at a friends house, so I'm not sure which package offered it, and it was only fullscreen. But I haven't seen it since like 1982 or something, so I just had to watch it.
I enjoyed it a lot, but it's funny since the last time I saw this I was very young, and I remembered (or exaggerated) some details that weren't true! It seems to be, since my young mind was so imaginative, that even while I was watching the movie all those years ago, I was re-inventing some of it in my head. Either that or I dreamed about some new details and that's how I remembered it. So because of this, a few scenes left me boggled and wanting more from them (the version in my head!) It was a weird feeling.

Now I can appreciate it for the campness, and not the sci-fi wonder I thought it was when I was a kid. :)

gutwrencher 11-20-04 06:21 PM

Originally posted by mike45
I'm also glad I got mine when it first came out.

same here....regardless of the dvds downfalls. I've enjoyed this dvd many, many times. I'll enjoy it again before a new version ever arrives.

It seems to be, since my young mind was so imaginative, that even while I was watching the movie all those years ago, I was re-inventing some of it in my head. Either that or I dreamed about some new details and that's how I remembered it. So because of this, a few scenes left me boggled and wanting more from them (the version in my head!) It was a weird feeling.
a potent bong-rip usually takes me there.:D -wink-

C_Fletch 11-20-04 07:04 PM

Just sold a copy of this. Great movie though. I'd love to see an SE. I've heard a few rumors though.

basaro 11-20-04 07:27 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
same here....regardless of the dvds downfalls. I've enjoyed this dvd many, many times. I'll enjoy it again before a new version ever arrives.

a potent bong-rip usually takes me there.:D -wink-

Nailed it! Now that's what I need to take me there, but when I was 10, it was natural.:D -wink-

jfoobar 11-22-04 10:17 PM

I had my old copy of the snapper R1 stolen in a burglary more than 2 years ago and it is about the only title I haven't replaced yet since by the time it was taken the disc (which I got in a bargain bin for $9 or so) now goes for so much.

"Fire on Rocket Ship Ajax?!?!"