Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gone with the Wind talk

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a shipping email on tuesday which means i should be getting mine tomorrow since no mail today.

Last edited by kevin75; 11-11-04 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kevin75
i got a shipping email on tuesday which means i should be getting mine tomorrow since no mail today (thanks vets!).
Hey, they died for our country so that you could have the freedom to watch DVDs. All gave some, but some gave all. Or something like that.
Old 11-11-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
I think (hope) he was being sarcastic.
Old 11-11-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

actually right after i typed that i realized it was gonna sound wrong. the thanks was genuine and not meant as a "stupid vets are the reason there's no mail today." thing.
Old 11-12-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I think (hope) he was being sarcastic.
So was I.
Old 11-12-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In case you missed it, the DVDTalk review is here...
Old 11-12-04, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by MJG87
Hey how's it going with your order? My shipping estimate was passed today and still nothing. I think I will cancel my order and pick it up at Costco for $25. This is the first time that there has been such a delay with Amazon for me when almost everyone else that chose the same method of shipping has already received it. There was a slight delay last week with my Looney Tunes order but not like this. I wonder what's going on with their operations lately.
It finally shipped via UPS Thursday late afternoon, and was delivered this afternoon. I love when Amazon uses UPS because I always get them real quick - one or two days. When they use USPS (Media Mail) it takes a week or so.

But my sister's GWTW is still not shipped - estimate is listed as Monday, 11/15 for her.
Old 11-13-04, 10:50 PM
Cool New Member

Mine arrived today.

This is WITHOUT A DOUBT, the finest DVD release of the year, perhaps of all time.

The improvement in picture quality is (IMHO) astounding...shocking..breathtaking. Such detail, sharpness, and vivid color. Astounding!

It doesn't hurt that it's the greatest film of all time...

I can now use my old disc for a cocktail coaster

Seriously though, everything about this release is remarkable. The beautiful packaging, the exhaustive, beautifully
Old 11-13-04, 10:51 PM
Cool New Member

Mine arrived today.

This is WITHOUT A DOUBT, the finest DVD release of the year, perhaps of all time.

The improvement in picture quality is (IMHO) astounding...shocking..breathtaking. Such detail, sharpness, and vivid color. Astounding!

Seriously though, everything about this release is remarkable. The beautiful packaging, the exhaustive, beautifully presented extra features, even the original souvenir program from 1939 reproduced for posterity!

Last but certainly not least, David O. Selznick's two sons produced a documentary about the making of the film that dwarfs all other attempts to trace the aegis of any other film...THE MAKING OF A LEGEND. Yes, it was made 15 years ago. Yes, it was on VHS and LD (although trying to find a copy was not easy)...But now, here it is, where it always belonged...with the film itself...and it's a marvel...

But one thing was missing. The one surviving star of the film.
Miss Olivia de Havilland.

Rumors abounded that she had some resentment about GWTW and that's why she wouldn't be in the old docu.

Well, Warner has disproved that by obtaining her involvement with a lovely, heartfelt and genuinely touching piece that features the now nearly-90 year old Olivia as sharp as a tack, and having an intimate conversation with each DVD viewer as she shares her recollections about the film and its genesis.

Priceless stuff....

Hats of to Warners for (yet another!) amazing DVD release.
Old 11-14-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Mine arrived today.

Old 11-14-04, 07:01 PM
Banned

The way this 1939 movie looks on dvd is more proof that their is no excuse for the way THE GODFATHER movies of the 1970's look on dvd!!
Old 11-14-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Mine arrived today.

Is ther an echo in here?

DJ
Old 11-14-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
The way this 1939 movie looks on dvd is more proof that their is no excuse for the way THE GODFATHER movies of the 1970's look on dvd!!
It's because of liberals.
Old 11-14-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wm lopez
Yes and no. The film stock of the 70s is of a variety that degrades at a MUCH faster rate than the Technicolor stock of GWTW.
Old 11-14-04, 10:53 PM

My favorite DVD set of the year (so far)

Been watching the movie, commentary, and extras all week. The picture quality is astounding. Can't wait for the Ultra Resolution of The Wizard of Oz!

Peace and Love,

Hermey the Elf
Old 11-14-04, 11:51 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Mine's still "Sent to warehouse..." from Buy.com - it's been at that status for over a week now. I may just cancel with them and include it in a DDD 20% off sale order.

This is a blind buy for me, too. I've actually never seen Gone with the Wind.
Old 11-16-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
So, what's the perception of this film? Yesterday I talked to two of my friends (at different times) and said that I was really happy to finally get this movie on DVD and they each responded, "you may not want to tell people that" - almost like it was a chick flick or something. Each friend is female, mid-20s, and born, raised, and living in Ohio. Neither of them are really movie buffs, either. Maybe it's geographic, since I was born and raised in Virginia. It could also be generational. Either way, though, I found it really odd, considering all the acclaim it's received for the past 65 years.

Just curious if anyone has heard the movie get a similar reaction.
Old 11-16-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you ever seen it before? You shouldn't feel like you have to hide it: It's THE ultimate Hollywood spectacle movie. It's got women's story elements but it is not a chick flick. I think they might be referring to the racial element, which is... not modern.

I posted a link to my DVD review earlier in the thread. I talk about the content of the movie quite a bit.
Old 11-16-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Oh, yeah, I've seen it and not ashamed in the least to say that I think it's a great movie. I didn't see it until it was rereleased in theaters about 8 or so years ago. It was playing at the local art theater, which has some pretty uncomfortable seats. Add to that the fact that my friends and I underestimated the crowd that showed up, so we had to sit in the very front row. It was an uncomfortable few hours, but well worth it.

Like you said, there's many different elements to it. I think my friends are just nuts. Great review, BTW.
Old 01-18-06, 04:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
is the new 2-discer out on 1/31 the same as the 4-discer in terms of the movie? or is this a new release with an anamorphic transfer? as the others are non.
Old 01-18-06, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
is the new 2-discer out on 1/31 the same as the 4-discer in terms of the movie? or is this a new release with an anamorphic transfer? as the others are non.
Why would a movie filmed in standard academy ratio (1.37:1) need an anamorphic transfer?

As far as I know, it will be same film as the 4-discer, just without all the extras. (Probably will have the commentary track, though.)
Old 01-18-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would have to say that the 2 disc release, if it's the same transfer and same compression etc, would be essential for anyone on the fence about the 4 disc. The extras are good but not nearly as important as the movie. This is a case of either release being fine.
Old 01-19-06, 09:17 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
I would have to say that the 2 disc release, if it's the same transfer and same compression etc, would be essential for anyone on the fence about the 4 disc. The extras are good but not nearly as important as the movie. This is a case of either release being fine.
then i think i will just stick with my 1-disc release. i saw some comparison shots and i think the older actually looks more detailed.
Old 01-19-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The one disc is definitely good for a 1998 release but a lot of the impression of detail is from added sharpening. The new transfer is really beautiful. It's hard to describe although I tried in the review. It's like looking at silk or something. It has texture. It's great.
Old 01-19-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

afaik the 1998 release use a different restoration print which is considered inferior to the current release. The new DVD is not only have better transfer, but also a better source material.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.