DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gone with the Wind talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-04, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gone with the Wind talk

I found this from thedigitalbits.com:

7/12/04

We're hearing new reports about a possible 4-disc Gone with the Wind: 65th Anniversary Special Edition that's in the works at Warner Bros. Word is that the title has been announced already for release in Germany on 11/5. We DO know that such a title had been planned as at least a 2-disc special edition (click here for a list of Warner titles on the way) and that it has undergone the "ultra restoration" process at the studio. We've also been hearing whispers about the release from industry insiders. This would be the first retail confirmation of the title, and the first time we've heard about the release being expanded to 4 discs. We'll keep you up to date on this as we learn anything new.

Stay tuned...
Old 07-13-04, 08:28 PM

Looking forward to this
Old 07-13-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully they have all new interviews with the cast and crew

Would definately upgrade on this one.
Old 07-13-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll admit, i haven't seen Gone with the Wind in its entirety. A special edition would probably end that
Old 07-13-04, 08:52 PM

I could definately see the movie spread over the first two discs since it'll have that ultra restoration treatment. The movie originally had an intermission break in it so that wouldn't be that big of a distraction. I remember the vhs copies having the intermissions, and I believe the barebones flipper dvd had it too.

I could see the other two discs used for special features and hopefully with new interviews with surviving cast and crew. I don't think many are left. I'd like to see it done in a Lord of the Rings extended edition style encompassing the from book to film to phenomenon concept showing the whole development etc etc.
Old 07-14-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These rumblings (getting louder) are what's kept me from buying the movie all this time.
Old 07-14-04, 04:37 PM

This will make the wife quite happy!
Old 07-14-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the ONLY AFI top 100 movie I've held off and held off and held off on.
Old 07-14-04, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Can't pass on "ultra restoration"
Old 07-14-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
They could probably fill one DVD with just screen tests, since virtually everyone in Hollywood (with the possible exception of Lassie) auditioned. Anyway, nice to know that waiting on this one will eventually pay off.
Old 07-15-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a great release.
Old 07-15-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
It would presumably have the Turner special on the Making of Gone With the Wind which shows up on Turner Classic Movies and was released on VHS. I don't know how much else could be included. It would be great if they got the participation of Olivia de Havilland .
Old 07-15-04, 08:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Dsilva71
This will make the wife quite happy!
And me too!!! This is my absolute favorite movie and I can't wait to upgrade on this!!!
Old 07-15-04, 11:21 AM

I am doing the dance of joy!

/fave movie of all time.
Old 07-30-04, 12:45 PM

Here is a link to a new USA Today article that includes many details about the upcoming release...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2004-07...ractions_x.htm
Old 07-30-04, 01:18 PM

November 9th! I'm there! Good to hear they're including the Making of a Legend documentary from '89. This makes me happy.
Old 07-30-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Here's the text:

DVD
'Gone With the Wind' gets complete digital makeover

Frankly, here's a special edition DVD you should give a damn about. A four-DVD Gone With the Wind Collector's Edition arrives Nov. 9 ($39.92). The film, one of the first DVDs released back in 1998, gets a technological makeover with Warner Home Video's Ultra-Resolution process, which digitally combines the original three Technicolor negatives. (The original DVD was created from a single film element.)

The new GWTW "has depth of field, clarity and sharpness not even possible theatrically in 1939. The film has never looked this good," says Warner's George Feltenstein. Among the two discs of extras — most of which are new to home video — is a 45-minute documentary created especially for this DVD that features Olivia de Havilland, 88. The actress, who was nominated for an Oscar for supporting actress in her role of Melanie Hamilton, "talks to the camera and shares intimately all her memories of (the film)," Feltenstein says. "It is your true, real-life 2004 link to what happened 65 years ago."

Other documentaries cover the lives of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, and there's also the 1989 documentary The Making of a Legend: Gone With the Wind. Also included is a 22-page reproduction of the souvenir program sold at theaters in 1939.

______________________-

As many have predicted, the excellent 1989 Doc is on there. I would have been just happy with the digital restoration and that doc, but I'll take all the extras I can get.

$39.92? Odd MSRP, but should be around $25 on release. My financee will be very happy!
Old 07-30-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Awesome details!!!
Old 07-30-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hope to god its not a flipper for disc 1

since its a four disc set, i guess it will be spread over 2 discs.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 07-30-04 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This and Titanic were my two big hold-outs for better releases.

I am thrilled that this is getting a 4D treatment!
Old 07-30-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thrilled too Michael!

this film has enormous re-watchability for me and i was greatly disappointed in its presentation on the previous disc.

its intersting that i posted a question about this hopefully getting remastered along with the "U-R" treatment in another forum back in 2003, and Robert Harris, a prominent film preservationist and the guy behind the resotrations of things like Spartacus and Lawrence of Arabia, chimed in and said there was basically nothing wrong with the current GWTW disc and was apoleptic that i would even suggest this film getting a U-R makeover.
i still fail to nderstand how properly registering the elements is a slap in the face of the original intention of the film makers.
to me, that is all that UR is- proper, precise registration.

in any case, i'm thrilled.
i thought SITR looked remarkable, and am entirely happy with AORH and MMISL.
if the film looks at least as fine as any of those i will be one happy HT camper this winter
Old 07-30-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to DavisDVD, the film will be on two discs.
Warner Home Video will release a brand-new special edition of the MGM classic Gone With the Wind on November 9th. The four-disc set will feature over five hours of old and new documentaries, interviews and other bonus features. Digitally restored with Warner's "Ultra-Resolution" hi-def technology, the film's original three-strip Technicolor negatives were digitally separated, aligned frame-by-frame in a computer and scanned at high-resolution. And according to the studio, the results are nothing short of miraculous.

The four hour film will be presented across two dual-layer discs in fullscreen and with Dolby Digital 5.1 and original mono audio tracks. A plethora of bonus materials include a new full-length audio commentary with film historian Rudy Behlmer, hour-long documentaries on actors Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, "Melanie Remembers: Olivia de Havilland Recalls Gone With the Wind" 45min featurette (with a recent interview with 88-year-old star), the 1989 documentary "The Making of a Legend: Gone With the Wind," behind-the-scenes footage, advertising materials and more. Incidentally, actor Christopher Plummer will narrate and introduce many of the bonus features. Also included with the set is a full-color reproduction of the original 22-page souvenir booklet that was sold during premiere road-show engagements from 1939 through 1941. Retail for the four-disc set is $39.92.
Old 07-30-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Only $40 MSRP for a 4 Disk Set. Warners certainly does it right and at the right price. This is a must have for me. Can't wait.

Maybe it will be $20 somewhere on Black Friday. Let the rumors begin.

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-30-04 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gone With The Wind.... What my bank account is going to be after buying this and all the other great titles coming out at the end of the year...
Old 07-30-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like we finally get a release worthy of such an amazing film. It sounds like the video quality is going to be quite amazing for a 65-year old film, so I couldn't be happier. Put off buying this film for quite some time, glad to see the wait is going to pay off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.