Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Gone with the Wind talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gone with the Wind talk

Old 08-16-04, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is inching its way up to the most eagerly awaited release on my list now.
neck and neck with ROTK.
i always loved the film, and purposfully haven't seen it in years, hoping for WB to kick out a worthwile remastered version, and from just the specs , this is going to be beyond my expectations.
hard to get a real good idea with the trailer, but the 'earthy' cast to the colors is starting to grow on me, and even in that crappy compressed mpeg, it looks like many scenes are going to be stunners as far as tightness and detail go.
this is gonna be sweet!

i just hope that the box for this isn't going to be ridiculously huge.
the art that has been out for a while looks like a standard digipack slipcase, yet in the trailer that art is on the front of an even larger box.
shelf space has become a huge concern for me, so i'm hoping i don't have to do up my own jackets for this and dig up some alphas.
Old 08-16-04, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also noticed the sharp image quality even from the trailer. I especially noticed it for some reason during the scene with Scarlett and the carriage under the bridge in the pouring rain. I also found the size of the packaging incredibly big, but I was thinking that the program that is included is probably bigger than a standard dvd box size, unless they sized it down.
Old 08-16-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Can't wait for this. Looks like it'll be stunning.

The scene of Scarlett making her way across the sea of dead/wounded is one of the greatest scenes put on celluloid. Ever.
Old 08-17-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Warner Brothers has definitely captured our hearts with their quality special editions - this looks to be another gem!
Old 08-17-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just FYI, amazon has this up for preorder. $25.15 after STL.
Old 08-18-04, 12:51 AM

I really want to see that trailer, but alas, I'm on a modem for the next few weeks and streaming something like that just doesn't work. If anyone knows how to just download it (if possible) please let me know. I'm dying to see this trailer!
Old 10-30-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check your local blockbuster's dvd set glass case. I just got a copy for $29.99. Not bad for a week or so early. I am debating on whether a B&M will have a fantastic opening price before I open it.
Old 10-30-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yesterday on the "Ellen" show, Ellen DeGeneres broke the street date. She gave everyone in the audience a copy of the new DVD and even said "It doesn't come out until next week so everyone gets it early".
Old 10-30-04, 12:16 PM

That's cool.
Old 10-30-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Looks like I'll be giving my old copy away. I've seen this movie in the theater, on VHS, and on DVD. I'm obligated to upgrade again! What's cool is the re-watchability of the film. Good times.
Old 10-31-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pre-ordered and boy am I looking forward to this one. I didn't buy the first DVD because, like many, I just knew a cool re-issue HAD to be in the works. Yay !
Old 11-08-04, 09:16 AM
Banned

I've never seen this movie before, obviously I've heard lots of great stuff about it, for such a low price for 4 dvds I'm gonna make a blind buy on it.
Old 11-10-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

people expecting Singin In The Rain levels of clarity and detail, are going to be a bit disappointed i think.
its a beautiful package, an enormously satisfying a/v presentation, but all the hype (coupled with the fact that film has always seemed fairly sharp and detailed to me before in other home video incarnations) i think set my expectations a little too high and i'm left wondering why i'm not seeing the same thing everyone else is.

i want to make it clear i have no complaints with this set.
as a long time fan of the film, i'm thrilled with it- but i think most people would be wise to ratchet down their expectations a little as to image quality.

Last edited by ckolchak; 11-10-04 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 08:06 AM

Did anyone's amazon order for this ship yet? I used Super Saver and ordered back in August...it seems like they're oddly sticking to their shipping estimate of 11-12-04 this time, it hasn't even gone to the "shipping soon" phase yet. I blind bought this and can't wait to finally see it.
Old 11-10-04, 11:17 AM

No, unfortunately. I also ordered from Amazon with free shipping. Despite their shipping date estimate of up to a week after street, usually they actually ship the day before street date and I have it by the day after, if they use UPS. If they use USPS (Media Mail) it takes several more days.

But on GWTW my order is still just sitting there, not yet shipped. Demand must be high.
Old 11-10-04, 01:43 PM

I ordered using Free Amazon shipping and got ti Monday!
Old 11-10-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got mine yesterday (Tuesday) and I used the free shipping option from Amazon. It is a gorgeous looking edition. I read through the Programme reproduction but haven't actually popped the disks in yet.
Old 11-10-04, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by ckolchak
people expecting Singin In The Rain levels of clarity and detail, are going to be a bit disappointed i think.
its a beautiful package, an enormously satisfying a/v presentation, but all the hype (coupled with the fact that film has always seemed fairly sharp and detailed to me before in other home video incarnations) i think set my expectations a little too high and i'm left wondering why i'm not seeing the same thing everyone else is.

i want to make it clear i have no complaints with this set.
as a long time fan of the film, i'm thrilled with it- but i think most people would be wise to ratchet down their expectations a little as to image quality.
I agree, I traded in my flipper for this on the word that the transfer was amazing. I too was expecting Singing In the Rain type clarity and colors but there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between this new edition and the old one. Considering the age of the film its still quite good. If having the movie itself is good enough then stick with the old flipper. But if you are a die hard fan of GWTW it still has a lot of features that may be worth the splurge.
Old 11-10-04, 06:11 PM

"If having the movie itself is good enough then stick with the old flipper. But if you are a die hard fan of GWTW it still has a lot of features that may be worth the splurge."

I completely disagree. If you enjoy this movie what so ever, please run to your favourite store and pick this up! The sound is amazing, and the video has a level of detail and clarity that hasn't been seen before. The special features are amazing like you said, Ian, and are worth the price of the set alone.

Andy
Old 11-10-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love my Adventures of Robin Hood SE
Old 11-10-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you enjoy this movie what so ever, please run to your favourite store and pick this up!
yeah, it wasn't my intention at all to try to disuade anyone form picking this up.
even with my quibbles, this is still a very substantial improvment over the first disc, in terms of a/v alone, to say nothing of the extraordinary supplemental content.
this is this years "Alien Quad" release.
it absolutely sets a benchmark that will not be surpassed anytime soon.

for the most part, the new transfer looks gorgeous- it's just not perfect, and its not always a major depature from previous incarnations as far as detail and clarity go- which is the impression you get when you read some of the reviews.
the film has always looked very fine for its age and has never had an excessive grain structure that was obscuring detail.
but that noted, there are still plenty of shots where long time fans are going to find themselves catching their breath.

i feel sorry for anyone that passes this by thinking its just a 'chick flick'.
this is a great American movie and simply grand & witty entertainment.

Last edited by ckolchak; 11-10-04 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Anyone seen any official reviews of the set yet? I can't seem to find any.
Old 11-11-04, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Anyone seen any official reviews of the set yet? I can't seem to find any.
DVD Town

DVD Journal

These were the first 2 places I hit (2 sites I visit a lot).. but I'm sure there are others out there.
Old 11-11-04, 09:03 AM

Here's a link to GWTW:CE reviews:

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3...go&idhop=61633

The HTF one was the first one posted over two weeks ago.
Old 11-11-04, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by hondo21
No, unfortunately. I also ordered from Amazon with free shipping. Despite their shipping date estimate of up to a week after street, usually they actually ship the day before street date and I have it by the day after, if they use UPS. If they use USPS (Media Mail) it takes several more days.

But on GWTW my order is still just sitting there, not yet shipped. Demand must be high.
Hey how's it going with your order? My shipping estimate was passed today and still nothing. I think I will cancel my order and pick it up at Costco for $25. This is the first time that there has been such a delay with Amazon for me when almost everyone else that chose the same method of shipping has already received it. There was a slight delay last week with my Looney Tunes order but not like this. I wonder what's going on with their operations lately.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.