Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jodorowsky news (El Topo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a copy of El Topo from HKFlix. apparently sourced from Japan - it's in English, with removable Japanese subtitles, and "edited" with a blur over the butts in the riding-the-priests scene. Not a great DVD, but if you desperately need an El Topo fix...
Old 12-08-06, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
<--- waits for Mike Adams to show up.

hehe, and I have the screenshots to prove it
Old 12-08-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
You're lucky to have a laserdisc of it. Back when I collected LD, I was more into mainstream movies.
Old 12-08-06, 10:31 AM

I contacted the current US rights holder for El Topo, Fando y Lis, & Holy Mountain. They could not tell me the exact release date for the official US releases, but did state they were hoping to get them out 1st quarter of next year. So those DVDs at HKFlix that are duplicates of the Japanese releases are bootlegs.

ABKCO Films is currently working with Alejandro Jodorowsky to restore the films “El Topo,” “The Holy Mountain,” and “Fando Y Lis.” The films will be released on DVD in the US in the first quarter of 2007. Until I have a firm release date, I am unable to supply any further details. However; we will let you know via email and you may check our website, www.abkcofilms.com, periodically for additional information.

Thank-you for your interest and support.
Old 01-19-07, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From thedigitalbits.com:

Boy have we got some great DVD news for you film geeks today! ABKCO Films and Anchor Bay Entertainment have just announced a pair of titles that we've been waiting for on DVD since Day One of this format... El Topo and The Holy Mountain! No kidding! Anchor Bay will release a special limited edition collector's box set, The Films of Alejandro Jodorowsky, on DVD on 5/1 (SRP $49.98). The set will contain El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Fando Y Lis on DVD, fully restored and remastered from new HD transfers in anamorphic widescreen video, with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio. The box set will also include 2 music CDs containing the soundtracks for El Topo and The Holy Mountain, as well as a DVD of Jodorowsky's never-before-released first film, La Cravate. El Topo and The Holy Mountain will also be available separately (SRP $24.98 each). The El Topo DVD will contain audio commentary by the director, the original theatrical trailer (with English voice-over), a 2006 on-camera interview with the director as well as an exclusive new interview, a photo gallery and original script excerpts. The Holy Mountain DVD will include audio commentary with the director, deleted scenes with commentary, the original theatrical trailer (with English voice-over), the Tarot short with commentary, a restoration process short, restoration credits, a photo gallery and original script excerpts. Fando Y Lis will include audio commentary with the director and the La Constellation Jodorowsky documentary. Subtitles on the discs will be available in English, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese. Awesome news indeed! To which Todd adds, "Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!" and faints dead away in shock. This is, you see, his long awaited Holy Grail of DVD.

Here's a look at the preliminary cover art for the Jodorowsky box set and El Topo, along with 20th Century Fox's A Good Year (2/27)...

Great set and nice price point.
Old 01-19-07, 09:38 AM

Some good shit there. I'll definately be saving some tax refund money for the box set. I'm just worried about Anchor Bay somehow screwing things up. At $50 though for all that it's a little hard whine unless they royally screw up.
Old 01-19-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by KFelon
Some good shit there. I'll definately be saving some tax refund money for the box set. I'm just worried about Anchor Bay somehow screwing things up. At $50 though for all that it's a little hard whine unless they royally screw up.
I have their R2 PAL release of Santa Sangre. It's not bad, a little grainy, but still superior to the VHS release. There are a lot of extras on it too.
Old 01-19-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
From thedigitalbits.com:

Great set and nice price point.
awesomeawesomeawesomeawesome!

But I hope (As KFelon said) there will be no suspicious f'-ups.
Old 01-19-07, 12:27 PM

That's just unexpected, great news, wow.
Old 01-19-07, 01:06 PM

Couldn't have started the day with better news.
Old 01-19-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is fantastic!

I also have Anchor Bay's R2 release of "Santa Sangre", and I'm a bit surprised to find that they must not hold the rights in R1. Otherwise, wouldn't they have released it as part of the boxset? I'm fairly satisfied with the R2 "Santa Sangre" disc, though there is some room for improvement -- anybody know who has the R1 distribution rights?
Old 01-19-07, 01:42 PM

Anchor Bay US & UK are actually 2 separate entities, merely just sister companies. I think each does their own transfers unless a release is being made in both countries. Anchor Bay US has poor standards compared to alot of what I've seen come from its sister UK. Also yes, the r2 Santa Sangre release is pretty good.

*Prays* "Please don't let this one be interlaced to hell & back."
Old 01-19-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,534 Posts
About Fucking Time. (and with some nice extras too!)

I really hope they don't screw this up somehow.
Old 04-18-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I didn't see this posted anywhere but here's the breakdown of what's in the box:

Alejandro Jodorowsky Classics Collection on May 1st

FROM ABKCO FILMS: THREE CLASSICS OF CINEMATIC SURREALISM FROM “MIDNIGHT MOVIE” PIONEER ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY - EL TOPO, THE HOLY MOUNTAIN AND FANDO Y LIS DISTRIBUTED BY ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT!

PREMIERING ON DVD MAY 1st WITH EXCLUSIVE NEVER-BEFORE SEEN EXTRAS!

New York, NY – On May 1, 2007 ABKCO Films will release Alejandro Jodorowsky’s trio of mind-bending classics, El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Fando Y Lis, on DVD for the first time ever. These astonishing films, which have been fully restored and remastered, will be available as a special limited edition collector’s box set featuring exclusive rare bonus materials. The box set will be available for an SRP of $49.98, with El Topo and The Holy Mountain also available separately at $24.98 each.

Originally released in 1970, El Topo quickly caught the imagination of movie audiences, becoming a landmark in independent film-making. The early screenings at New York’s Elgin Theater sparked the Midnight Movie phenomena, catalyzed by an endorsement from John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Classic Americana and avant-garde European sensibilities collide with Zen Buddhism and the Bible as master gunfighter and mystic El Topo (played by writer/director Alejandro Jodorowsky) tries to defeat four sharp-shooting rivals on a bizarre path to allegorical self-awareness and resurrection. As it seeks an alternative to the Hollywood mainstream, El Topo is also the most controversial quasi-Western head trip ever made!

Jodorowsky’s high budget follow up effort, The Holy Mountain, takes his psychedelic allegorical mastery to another level. Grotesque, mystical and sacrilegious, it is an excursion into the meaning of earthly wealth and immortality.

Rounding out this unique set is Jodorowsky’s first full-length feature film, Fando Y Lis. Based on Jodorowsky's memories of a play by surrealist Fernando Arrabal, it caused an uproar in the avant-garde community when it premiered in 1967 in Acapulco.

Among the extras included in this collector’s box is previously unseen footage, a feature on the restoration process, an exclusive interview with Jodorowsky, optional director commentary tracks, subtitles, two special CDs of the films’ soundtracks and a separate DVD of the first film ever made by Jodorowsky, La Cravate.

EL TOPO:
Digitally restored to HD from original negative
Original Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
5.1 Dolby & 2.0 Stereo
Original Feature Language: Spanish
Optional Subtitles: EN, SP, FR & BR PORT
Optional commentary track by Director (Language: Spanish with optional EN, SP, FR & BR PORT subtitles)
Optional English overdub track

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN:
2K scanned digitally restored to 35mm & HD
Original Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 Enhanced for 16x9
5.1 Dolby & 2.0 Stereo
Original Feature Language: English
Optional commentary track by Director (Language: Spanish with optional EN, SP, FR & BR PORT subtitles)

FANDO Y LIS
Digitally restored from original negative
Original Aspect Ratio 1.66:1 Letterboxed
Original Language: Spanish

EXTRAS -
EL TOPO:
-Original theatrical trailer- English V.O.
-2006 on camera interview with Jodorowsky (Language English/English subtitles)
-Photo Gallery/Original script excerpts
-Exclusive interview with Alejandro Jodorowsky

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN
- Deleted scenes with director commentary (Language: Spanish with optional EN, SP, FR & BR PORT subtitles)
- Original theatrical trailer -English V.O
- The Tarot short with director commentary (Language: Spanish with optional EN, SP, FR & BR PORT subtitles)
- Restoration process short (Original Language English)
- Photo Gallery / Original Script excerpts
- Restoration Credits

BOX SET EXTRAS:
FANDO Y LIS
-La Constellation Jodorowsky documentary
-Original language French and English Stereo

TWO AUDIO CDS
- El Topo soundtrack
- The Holy Mountain soundtrack

LA CRAVATE
- Alejandro Jodorowsky’s first film
- Never released before

Street Date: May 1, 2007
Runtime: EL TOPO: 125 minutes
THE HOLY MOUNTAIN: 114 minutes
FANDO Y LIS: 93 minutes
Price: Box set $49.98, EL TOPO, THE HOLY MOUNTAIN $24.98 each when purchased separately
Language: Varied, see above
Subtitles: Varied, see above
Available at: Retailers Nationwide

ABKCO Films has been involved with many successful movies including La Grande Bouffe (winner of the International Critics prize at the 1973 Cannes Film Festival), The Greek Tycoon starring Anthony Quinn and Jacqueline Bisset, The Concert for Bangladesh featuring Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Bob Dylan and Ringo Starr. In 2003 ABKCO won a Grammy for their DVD release of ‘Sam Cooke – Legend’ and the following year released on DVD ‘The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus’ to critical acclaim.

ABKCO Films is a division of ABKCO Music and Records, one of the leading independent record companies in the world. It is home to critical catalogue assets that include recordings by Sam Cooke, The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Herman’s Hermits, Marianne Faithfull, The Kinks as well as the Cameo Parkway label, which include the master recordings of artists such as Chubby Checker, Bobby Rydell, The Orlons, The Dovells, The Tymes, Charlie Grace and Dee Dee Sharp. www.abkcofilms.com /
www.abkco.com.

Anchor Bay Entertainment is distributed by Starz Home Entertainment, a division of Starz Media. Starz Media, LLC, is a programming production and distribution company operating worldwide. It includes the Film Roman, Anchor Bay Entertainment, and Manga Entertainment brands. Its units create animated and live-action programming -- including theatrical films -- and programming created under contract for other media companies. It distributes that programming, and programming acquired from outside producers, through home video retailers, theaters, broadcasters, ad supported and premium television channels, and Internet and wireless video distributors in the US and internationally. Starz Media is an operating unit of Starz, LLC, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation that is attributed to Liberty Capital Group.
Old 04-22-07, 07:28 AM

gee.. the marketing of these titles was a TAD MISLEADING a while ago !!!

I recall that the films would be ENHANCED for widescreen. Reading the DVDTalk review - it appears that only THE HOLY MOUNTAIN is enhanced - and EL TOPO is in the 4x3 ratio !!!

my boxset is in order from DDD - not exactly happy about the transfers !!!
Old 04-22-07, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by tonyjg

I recall that the films would be ENHANCED for widescreen. Reading the DVDTalk review - it appears that only THE HOLY MOUNTAIN is enhanced - and EL TOPO is in the 4x3 ratio !!!

Ian Jane's review mentions that Alejandro Jodorowsky was involved with the making of these discs somewhat. El Topo is not a victim of pan&scan, and as far as I can find out, presented in its OAR. I'm no expert on this particular film so feel free to correct me. As for Fando Y Lis not being 16x9 enhanced, well I guess that is unfortunate, but it won't stop me from picking up this great set.
Old 04-22-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ABKCO Press Release
EL TOPO:
Digitally restored to HD from original negative
Original Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
5.1 Dolby & 2.0 Stereo
Original Feature Language: Spanish
Optional English overdub track
Old 04-22-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDTalk Review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=27676
Old 04-22-07, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Thanks Valeyard - but I read the full DVDTalk review before posting my comment (and a good review !!!)

However - I am not alone in the 'tad disappointment' towards the ratios (and enhancements) of these discs - even though Jodorowsky was personally involved.

Checking imdb - it has the ratio being 1.66:1.

The 4x3 (1.33:1) may have been the ratio in which it was filmed (open matte) - I couldn't see that this would have been ratio in the recent theatrical screenings (having never seen it myself before - ordered the set on the basis of owning Santa Sangre).

Anyone with details about the ratio of the recent screenings ???
Old 04-22-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
Why would it matter how it was presented recently? If the OAR is 1.33:1 then that is how it should be viewed.

It sounds like you want to see a widescreen movie no matter what the director intended.
Old 04-22-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Valeyard - but I read the full DVDTalk review before posting my comment (and a good review !!!)

Oh, I know. I went looking for it after you posted it was up. I just thought I'd put it here for others to see.

Thanks for pointing it out in the first place.
Old 04-24-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I, too, expected "El Topo" to be 1.66:1, but I have no idea if that is the preferred ratio.

I suspect, either way, it's good that's it was transferred 1.33:1 given that Anchor Bay has chosen not to anamorphically enhance the 1.66:1 "Fando y Lis". And was that a new transfer, or just a cleaned up port of Fantoma's non-enhanced DVD from some years back?

Does anyone know if these might be released separately? I'm a fan of "El Topo", but not so much of the other films (though I look forward to seeing "The Holy Mountain" again). I can do without "Fando" and the soundtracks if there might be individual releases of the films forthcoming. And I already have "La Constellation Jodorowsky" from the 2-disc "Santa Sangre" release.
Old 04-24-07, 04:44 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy

Does anyone know if these might be released separately? I'm a fan of "El Topo", but not so much of the other films (though I look forward to seeing "The Holy Mountain" again). I can do without "Fando" and the soundtracks if there might be individual releases of the films forthcoming. And I already have "La Constellation Jodorowsky" from the 2-disc "Santa Sangre" release.
El Topo and Holy Mountain are available separately for Pre-Order on a number of sites, although you could probably by the box set for the cost of buying those two separately. Not sure about the other one.
Also, for anyone who's interested, "Constellation Jodorowsky" was also on the Fantoma "Fando Y Lis" release.
Old 04-24-07, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Also, for anyone who's interested, "Constellation Jodorowsky" was also on the Fantoma "Fando Y Lis" release.
It is also on Anchor Bay UK's Santa Sangre release.
Old 04-25-07, 01:56 AM

What troubles me a lot more than "Fando y Lis" being non-anamorphic is that it, along with "La cravate", is interlaced. What the hell happened here?! There is no reason this should happen, especially if they were sourced from film elements.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.