Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jodorowsky news (El Topo, etc.)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jodorowsky news (El Topo, etc.)

Old 04-25-07, 08:54 AM
  #76  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: North east England UK
Posts: 1,689
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well..i can just about stumble my way through French..so i'll not jump the gun and pick this set up but will forego the CD soundtracks in favour of the 'Midnight Movies' supplement that will be included on the R2 French Wildside release...and perhaps wrongly, have hopes that any minor complaints about the R1 set may be rectified on the French release.
Either way, having owned the despicable Raro editions along with the seriously flawed and censored Japanese editions i can't go too far wrong!!

Last edited by RichDB10; 04-25-07 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-25-07, 10:21 AM
  #77  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,623
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RichDB10
Well..i can just about stumble my way through French..so i'll not jump the gun and pick this set up but will forego the CD soundtracks in favour of the 'Midnight Movies' supplement that will be included on the R2 French Wildside release...and perhaps wrongly, have hopes that any minor complaints about the R1 set may be rectified on the French release.
Either way, having owned the despicable Raro editions along with the seriously flawed and censored Japanese editions i can't go too far wrong!!
I thought I saw that in the most recent issue of Sight and Sound the 'Midnight Movies' docu was being released seperately in the UK?
Old 04-25-07, 10:57 AM
  #78  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: North east England UK
Posts: 1,689
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I thought I saw that in the most recent issue of Sight and Sound the 'Midnight Movies' docu was being released seperately in the UK?
Yes it has been separately i believe along with an additional disc containing 'Reefer Madness' etc....
Old 04-25-07, 11:01 AM
  #79  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,623
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RichDB10
Yes it has been separately i believe along with an additional disc containing 'Reefer Madness' etc....
yes.. with two movies, the other title is escaping me at the moment.
Old 04-25-07, 12:34 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,521
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Are you guys talking about this doc?
http://imdb.com/title/tt0457414/

Well, if they're throwing in 2 additional movies, I'm guessing they're gonna be the usual public domain favs, "Reefer" and "Night/Living Dead".
Old 04-25-07, 12:46 PM
  #81  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,623
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Are you guys talking about this doc?
http://imdb.com/title/tt0457414/

Well, if they're throwing in 2 additional movies, I'm guessing they're gonna be the usual public domain favs, "Reefer" and "Night/Living Dead".
yes that film, which btw is excellent, a tad discouraged to not see or hear about a future region 1 release.
Old 04-25-07, 01:06 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,521
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Just recieved my DDD notice. I'm already over this set!
Old 04-25-07, 03:13 PM
  #83  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 180
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review up at DVD Beaver

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...Jodorowsky.htm
Old 04-25-07, 03:32 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 4,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, the DVD Beaver review doesn't mention any combing, and the screen caps for "Fando y Lis" don't indicate it either...
Old 04-25-07, 03:43 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,797
Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Holy Christ! The comparisons for El Topo & Holy Mountain are night and day!
Old 04-25-07, 06:47 PM
  #86  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 37,569
Received 768 Likes on 557 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Holy Christ! The comparisons for El Topo & Holy Mountain are night and day!
No kidding. I can now understand the hate for the Raro versions.

The new release looks pretty damn good.
Old 04-25-07, 11:38 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Blu-ray.com
Posts: 10,380
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Hmm, the DVD Beaver review doesn't mention any combing, and the screen caps for "Fando y Lis" don't indicate it either...

...meaning zlitch!

Without getting into an argument there is a great deal of inconsistency and bias there. Off the top of my head their review for Marco Bellocchio's Devil in the Flesh praises the disc up to heavens...case: it is a PAL-NTSC port full of ghosting.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-26-07, 05:32 AM
  #88  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Dr. Mantle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,204
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This boxed set is supposed to be limited. Are there any estimates on how long it might be around? Or how many sets are being produced?

I'd really like to get this, but I'm kind of poor right now, so I'd prefer to wait until the next DDD 20% sale.
Old 04-26-07, 09:47 AM
  #89  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jdpatri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,745
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered it. I'm not going to risk missing out on this release for six bucks. It happens so rarely nowadays that I'm really excited about a DVD release.... probably because I never really expected this one to happen.
Old 05-04-07, 08:18 AM
  #90  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 90
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out your local Fry's Electronics.
I found a set there for $9.99.

Sweeeeeeeet!!!
Old 05-07-07, 03:40 AM
  #91  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 4,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can somebody please confirm the combing issue on La cravate and Fando y Lis?
Old 05-07-07, 10:22 AM
  #92  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,623
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by goosh
Check out your local Fry's Electronics.
I found a set there for $9.99.

Sweeeeeeeet!!!
wow, that's a loss leader for Fry's
Old 05-07-07, 10:27 AM
  #93  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,797
Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
$39.99 at all the Fry's I've been to so YMMV.
Old 05-07-07, 01:28 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Blu-ray.com
Posts: 10,380
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Can somebody please confirm the combing issue on La cravate and Fando y Lis?

Watched it on Sunday morning and yes, I can definitely confirm it. Some notable digital noise as well.

Pro-B
Old 05-07-07, 01:59 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,429
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Can somebody please confirm the combing issue on La cravate and Fando y Lis?
A poster on criterionforum.org put up some comparison caps of the AB "Fando" against the old Fantoma release here: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...=119881#119881

Sorry to say - particularly since I had long ago sold off my Fantoma disc - but Anchor Bay appears to have really screwed it up.
Old 05-07-07, 03:00 PM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: location, location...
Posts: 439
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
This boxed set is supposed to be limited. Are there any estimates on how long it might be around? Or how many sets are being produced?

I'd really like to get this, but I'm kind of poor right now, so I'd prefer to wait until the next DDD 20% sale.
Since it's an AB (now Starz) set, there's ample precedence to suggest that any limited edition will simply be repackaged. Of course, that may mean that "La Cravate" or Fando & Lis and applicable extras (incl. "Constellation Jodorowsky") may not be available in a new set. More likely, however, if the set is indeed limited, is that the Soundtrack CDs will be removed from a future Films of Jodorowsky package.

Since it's an ABKCO product, it's certain that any reissues will remove the SACD layer.
Old 05-07-07, 06:52 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theWitcher
Since it's an ABKCO product, it's certain that any reissues will remove the SACD layer.
Wow, I didn't even know they were SACDs!
Old 05-17-07, 08:52 AM
  #98  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,623
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
what's up with the running time of La Cravate - the box states 35min, it actuals runs 21, but imdb also states a 40min version exists/existed

??
Old 05-17-07, 09:15 AM
  #99  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 349
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're SACDs? You're joking right? Now I gotta fucking check when I get home.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.