Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looney Tunes Golden Vol 2 (late Oct - early Nov) list!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looney Tunes Golden Vol 2 (late Oct - early Nov) list!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to see that the king of "if at first you don't succeed, why don't you use that money you spend on acme crap for food?" will be getting his own disc
Old 06-20-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll take every set they release.
Old 06-20-04, 11:14 AM

"Dover Boys" is hilarious, and most people haven't seen it... I promise you'll enjoy!
Old 06-20-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like it's gonna be a better set than the first. My only gripe is that Foghorn Leghorn gets no love.
Old 06-20-04, 12:35 PM

"Dover Boys" is hilarious, and most people haven't seen it... I promise you'll enjoy!
"Unhand her, Dan Backslide!
Unhand her, Dan Backslide!
Unhand her, Dan Backslide!
Hey, we're getting in a rut!"

"Baby Bottleneck" is the one that satirizes the baby boom, with the babies coming off a conveyor belt to the tune of "Powerhouse."
Old 06-20-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Bunny Hugged" (Bugs Bunny - 1951)
YES!!!! duhh, just passing by

Can't wait to grab this... my only minor gripe is all those Roadrunner/Coyotes and NO "Operation: Rabbit", WTF???
Old 06-20-04, 01:58 PM

Here are some descriptions of the individual shorts (as well as how they will probably be arranged on the four discs):

Disc 1
Bugs Bunny
- "Hare-Brained Hypnotist" (directed by Friz Freleng - 1942): Elmer tries to hunt Bugs using hypnotism.
- "Little Red Riding Rabbit" (Friz Freleng - 1944): Little Red Riding Hood brings Bugs as a present for her Grandma, and the Big Bad Wolf, disguised as Grandma, wants to eat Bugs. Contains the classic line "Hey, Grandma, that's an awful big nose for you... TA HAVE!!!"
- "Stage Door Cartoon" (Freleng - 1944): Elmer chases Bugs into a vaudeville theatre.
- "Hare Conditioned" (Chuck Jones - 1945): Bugs battles an obsequious department-store manager who wants to have him stuffed for the taxidermy department.
- "Rhapsody Rabbit" (Freleng - 1946): Bugs tries to play Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsody" on the piano but is interrupted by a mouse. One of the all-time greats.
- "The Big Snooze" (Bob Clampett - 1946): Elmer tries to quit cartoons to get some "west and wewaxation." In retaliation, Bugs invades Elmer's dream and gives him a mind-blowing nightmare.
- "Slick Hare" (Freleng - 1947): Humphrey Bogart tells waiter Elmer Fudd that he wants fried rabbit for dinner, or else.
- "Bugs Bunny Rides Again" (Freleng - 1948): Bugs has a Western showdown with Yosemite Sam.
- "Gorilla My Dreams" (Robert McKimson - 1948): Bugs is adopted by a pair of gorillas.
- "Bunny Hugged" (Jones - 1951): Bugs has a wrestling match against "The Crusher." ("Duh, I was just passin' by, just passin' by...")
- "French Rarebit" (McKimson - 1951): Two French chefs fight over the right to cook Bugs.
- "Baby Buggy Bunny" (Jones - 1954): Bugs finds what he thinks is a baby, but it's actually Baby Face Finster, a tiny crook who just robbed a bank.
- "Hyde And Hare" (Freleng - 1955): Bugs goes to the home of Dr. Jekyll.
- "Broom-Stick Bunny" (Jones - 1956): Bugs goes trick or treating disguised as a witch. Witch Hazel sees him and is horrified to find that she is no longer "the ugliest one of all."
- "What's Opera, Doc?" (Jones - 1957): Bugs and Elmer act out their usual schtick in the form of a Wagnerian opera.
Disc 2
The Road Runner and Coyote
I don't think I need to run down the individual plots. Suffice it to say that this is the eleven Road Runner cartoons made from 1952 to 1958. The "golden age" of this team, basically.

Porky and Daffy (part 1)
- "Porky In Wackyland" (Clampett - 1938): Porky goes to Wackyland in search of the elusive Do-Do.
- "Old Glory" (Jones - 1939): In one of WB's few serious cartoons, Porky learns the true meaning behind the Pledge of Allegiance.
- "Book Revue" (Clampett - 1946): The last and greatest "Books come to life" cartoon. Featuring Daffy Duck's amazing Danny Kaye routine.
- "Show Biz Bugs" (Freleng - 1957): Daffy is jealous of Bugs' greater popularity, and does everything he can to upstage Bugs or bump him off.
Disc 3
Sylvester and Tweety
- "Kitty Kornered" (Clampett - 1946): Porky tries to put out his cats for the night, including Sylvester, but instead they team up to make him think that Martians are invading.
- "Tweety Pie" (Freleng - 1947): First Tweety/Sylvester teamup (though Sylvester is called Thomas in this one). Won an Oscar.
- "Back Alley Op-Roar" (Freleng - 1948): Sylvester won't stop singing outside of Elmer's house. One of the funniest cartoons ever.
- "Bad Ol' Putty Tat" (Freleng - 1949): Sylvester tries to catch Tweety, eventually chasing him onto a badminton court.
- "All a Bir-r-r-rd" (Freleng - 1950): Tweety on a train.
- "Room And Bird" (Freleng - 1951): Tweety in a hotel.
- "Tweet Tweet Tweety" (Freleng - 1951): Tweety in the park.
- "A Bird In A Guilty Cage" (Freleng - 1952): Tweety in a department store.
- "Ain't She Tweet" (Freleng - 1952): Sylvester tries to get through a yard full of bulldogs to catch Tweety.
- "Gift Wrapped" (Freleng - 1952): Sylvester tries to catch Tweety at Christmastime.
- "Snow Business" (Freleng - 1953): Tweety and Sylvester are stranded in a cabin during a snowstorm, along with a mouse who's so hungry he decides to try to eat Sylvester!

Porky and Daffy (part 2)
- "You Ought to Be in Pictures" (Freleng - 1940): In a combination of live-action and animation, Daffy convinces Porky to quit his job and try and break into feature films.
- "Duck Soup To Nuts" (Freleng - 1944): Porky unsuccessfully hunts Daffy, who gives Porky a bunch of sob stories.
- "Baby Bottleneck" (Clampett - 1946): A satire of the Baby Boom: the stork is so overworked by the increased demand for babies that Porky and Daffy take over the baby business, producing babies on an assembly-line. Features extensive use of the song "Powerhouse."
- "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" (Clampett - 1946): Daffy dreams that he's "Duck Twacy." "NEON NOODLE! AAAAGGH!"
Disc 4
All-Stars
- "I Love To Singa" (Tex Avery - 1936): A young owl, "Owl Jolson," only wants to sing jazz.
- "Have You Got Any Castles?" (Frank Tashlin - 1938): An earlier example of the "Books come to life" cartoon.
- "Katnip Kollege" (Cal Dalton & Ben Hardaway - 1938): A musical short set at a college where cats are learning "Swingology."
- "Hollywood Steps Out" (Avery - 1941): A series of gags featuring famous Hollywood stars (including a running gag with Clark Gable pursuing a mysterious lady).
- "The Heckling Hare" (Avery - 1941): A big dumb dog goes looking for Bugs Bunny.
- "Tortoise Beats Hare" (Avery - 1941): The first matchup of Bugs and Cecil Turtle.
- "The Dover Boys at Pimento University or 'The Rivals of Roquefort Hall'" (Jones - 1942): Chuck Jones' first truly great cartoon, a simply insane and hilarious sendup of bad boys' fiction. "Unhand her, Dan Backslide!"
- "The Hep Cat" (Clampett - 1942): A playboy cat tries to woo a cute girl cat, with disastrous results. (It's crazier than the description makes it sound -- all Clampett's cartoons are crazy)
- "Corny Concerto" (Clampett - 1943): A spoof of Fantasia, hosted by Elmer Fudd and featuring two segments with Johann Strauss music: a hunting segment with Bugs and Porky and an "ugly duckling" story with a duck who looks like a younger version of Daffy.
- "Rabbit Transit" (Freleng - 1947): Bugs races Cecil Turtle for the third and last time.
- "Mouse Wreckers" (Jones - 1948): Hubie and Bertie play mind games on Claude Cat.
- "Bear For Punishment" (Jones - 1951): Junyer Bear and Mama Bear celebrate father's day, driving Papa Bear crazy. Features a final scene with some great animation by Ken Harris, including Junyer reading his poem "My Pa."
- "Cheese Chasers" (Jones - 1951): The last and greatest Hubie and Bertie cartoon. Hubie and Bertie eat so much cheese that they get sick of the stuff. Without cheese, there's nothing left for them to live for, so they try to get Claude Cat to eat them and put them out of their misery.
- "One Froggy Evening" (Jones - 1955): A construction worker finds a singing frog.
- "Three Little Bops" (Freleng - 1957): A jazz retelling of "The Three Little Pigs," narrated in song by Stan Freberg.
Old 06-20-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a little disappointed that many of the shorts that WB already released in some of their previous 2 disc movie sets (Treasure of Sierra Madre, Robin Hood, etc) are being "rereleased" in this set. Then again I'm just thankful that we're getting a set Golden Collection release.

I can't wait for Bunny Hugged, Little Red Riding Rabbit (I taught my kids "The 5 o'clock whistle's on blink..." song), Show Biz Bugs, What's Opera Doc (Kill the wabbit).

Share the love, anyone? Is it November yet?
Old 06-20-04, 03:37 PM
Suspended

Re: Looney Tunes Golden Vol 2 (late Oct - early Nov) list!

Originally posted by RKillgore
[*]"Beep Beep" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1952)[*]"Going! Going! Gosh!" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1952)[*]"Zipping Along" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1953) [*]"Stop! Look! and Hasten!" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1954) [*]"Guided Muscle" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1955) [*]"Ready.. Set.. Zoom!" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1955) [*]"Gee Whiz-z-z-z!" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1956) [*]"There They Go-Go-Go!" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1956) [*]"Scrambled Aches" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1957)[*]"Zoom And Bored" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1957) [*]"Whoa, Be-Gone!" (Road Runner/Coyote - 1958)

These two were sorely under-represneted on the first set. While I enjoyed what was on there, this one is considerably more attractive to me.

And of course. . .

Oh mighty warrior of great fighting stock! Might I inquire to ask (crunch, crunch, crunch) "Whats up doc?"

I'm going to Kill da Wabbit!

Oh mighty warrior, it will be quite the task. How will you do it might I inquire to ask?

With my Spear and Magic Helmet!

Spear and magic helemt?

MAGIC HELMET!

Magic helmet.

MAGIC HELMET!!!

Heh. Magic Helmet.

Ma-geck Hu-mut! And I will give you a sample! North winds blow! South winds blow! Lighting! Thunder! SMOG!

(Bugs slinks off)

Hey, dat was the wabbit!

Last edited by El-Kabong; 06-20-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-20-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by belosh
What is the episode called with the dracula where bugs sings the whole abra-capocus/ pocus-cadabra thing, and is it on wither of the box sets?...
HighSpeedOnIce had it right: this one is definitely Transylvania 6-5000; it's one of my favorites which unfortunately hasn't make WB's DVD cut list. Fortunately, it seems that Broom-Stick Bunny did!
Old 06-20-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by gorgo99
Is that the one of the 'hatfield & mcCoys?' If so, that is one of my all time faves. I don't think they are allowed to play it anymore for some reason.
Old 06-20-04, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Is that the one of the 'hatfield & mcCoys?' If so, that is one of my all time faves. I don't think they are allowed to play it anymore for some reason.
No, "The Dover Boys at Pimento University (Good ol' PU)" or 'The Rivals of Roquefort Hall'" involves the three Dover Boys (Tom, Dick, and Larry) courting Miss Dora Standpipe. Dan Backslide, archenemy of the Dover Boys, kidnaps Miss Standpipe during a game of Hide, Go, and Seek. Dora calls for help, all the while thrashing Backslide, and the Dover Boys come to the rescue. The infamous (to me, anyway) line is uttered by Tom, "Unhand her, Dan Backslide! (x3)". In the end, the Dover Boys pummel Backslide and end up knocking each other out. Dora leaves with a character that pops up frequently throughout the cartoon (can't remember who this charcter is supposed to be...Kilroy?).

This is my favorite of all the Warner shorts, and I will be happy to see it reinvigorated on DVD. It was on the Golden Age of Looney Tunes Vol. 1 laserdisc set. Time has not been kind to that presentation.
Old 06-20-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Road Runner/Coyote I can't wait for Vol 2, then 3 then 4 ...
Old 06-21-04, 01:02 AM

Location: B.A. classical instruments with snails, ants, and person(me)
That's where i remember, seeing it on my Adventures of Robin Hood DVD, "Yoicks and away!!... *crash*...yoicks...and...away!!...*crash*...yo...icks...and...aw...ay *crash*
Old 06-21-04, 02:48 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 06-21-04, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
so which one is the hatfileds & mccoy's one?
Old 06-21-04, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
so which one is the hatfileds & mccoy's one?
Hillbilly Hare (1950) Another one to look forward to in a future release.
Old 06-21-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I Love To Singa" ("Owl" Jolson - 1936)
My dreams came true on this one. Never thought it would see the light of day.

Little Red Riding Rabbit" (Bugs Bunny - 1944)
"Hey Grandma, What big eyes you got."
"Yeah yeah, big eyes, big eyes."

"French Rarebit" (Bugs Bunny/Louis and Francois - 1951)
A la Antoine?

"Baby Buggy Bunny" (Bugs Bunny/Baby-Faced Finster - 1954)
"How many times have I told you *spank*not to play*spank*with the dirty*spank* money?"
Old 06-21-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dammit!

No Goofy Gophers!
Old 06-21-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally posted by garolo
I'm a little disappointed that many of the shorts that WB already released in some of their previous 2 disc movie sets (Treasure of Sierra Madre, Robin Hood, etc) are being "rereleased" in this set. Then again I'm just thankful that we're getting a set Golden Collection release.

Where is Robin Hood Daffy in this release? I wish it was in this collection.

I just hope that the RR/Coyote one where they go through the mineshaft (and they are only identifiable by the color helmet-lamps they are wearing) is in this one.
Old 06-21-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
You know that Robin Hood Daffy and Rabbit Hood are both on The Adventures of Robin Hood DVD! "Yipes... and away!" always cracks me up!!!

Believe me I know - I don't care for the movie so I don't want the DVD.
Old 06-21-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Back Alley Op-Roar" (Elmer Fudd/Sylvester - 1948)
This is an underrated little gem. Glad to see it's getting released along with Dover Boys.

I had my fingers crossed for 'Walky Talky Hawky', too. Oh well, perhaps in volume 3...
Old 06-21-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jaime_Weinman
Here are some descriptions of the individual shorts (as well as how they will probably be arranged on the four discs):
Looking at the list, IMO I see far too much Freleng (ZZZZZZZ) and not enough Jones (RR notwithstanding). But beggars can't be choosers, I'll stilll grab it.
Old 06-21-04, 10:47 AM

Disc 4 looks pretty cool

I will second someone else's disappointment with the lack of Hillbilly Hare
Old 06-21-04, 11:12 AM

What's the name of the one with Bugs & Pete Puma (?) and "how many lumps do you want?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.