Who has over a 1000 DVDs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Who has over a 1000 DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last summer I was bordering 700 myself, but then I looked at my collection, the space it was taking, the number of unopened discs, etc etc. I am under 200 right now and I am still swapping out some titles, but my collection is becoming more personal. I used to sit down on sunday for a movie, look through my collection and think about how many titles i just didnt want to watch. Now it takes 10 minutes just to figure out which one I want to watch more than the others. To each their own, but my personal preferance is to not water down my titles. I still have plenty that I want, but I dont think I will ever reach 500 again, let alone the 1000's.
Old 06-08-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by matome
I've got around 1600. I don't rent, so a lot of blind buys, and since I'm pretty easy to please, I usually convince myself I liked it enough to warrant the purchase. Of course some were just horrible (Gummo, Critical Care, etc.), but I don't mind keeping them around if someone wants to pick it off the shelves to watch. The only time I get rid of discs is when I upgrade, in which case I give them to my brother.
This is me, though on a much larger scale. I'm at a little over 300, but I can easily see me hitting 1,000 in the (distant) future. I dohave admittedly mainstream tastes (although I do like a lot of the lesser-known stuff that I've seen), so it's easy to find a lot of titles that I'll enjoy. Plus, my wife is just as into collecting them as I am (if not more so) and she buys a ton of movies that she likes that I wouldn't have bought (Pearl Harbor comes to mind). So, all that combined can easily push me higher and higher and I have no problem with that. Having a library of films at my fingertips is my goal anyway.
Old 06-08-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a few away from 1400... at least twice a year I'll skim through my collection & pull out about 20-30 & sell them off, then I treat myself to some exotic Criterions. I know it's not cost efficient, but I do a lot of blind buys & some of them really aren't worth keeping.
Old 06-08-04, 12:41 PM

Just for the record I am not collecting for the value. I am collecting because I enjoy movies. Most of the material I have. Netflix doesn't. Much of it is out of print and not obtainable except out of the collection. Also with the way Netflick does business, I would be put in the group that would be at the bottom of the heap in getting material. I watch around 10 to 15 per week. I just had to clarify this.
Austin
Old 06-08-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm between 1800 - 1900 right now.
Old 06-08-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by runnersdialzero
Austin and Jennings, I don't see any logical reason for you to have this many DVDs. You two are definitely DVD Whores. It sounds more like a problem then an addiction. And even if I had all the money in the world. I still wouldn't have that many. Why even risk buying a crap film like Gummo just to see if you like it? Netflix is your friend. I mean, if you have 2000 to 6000 DVDs, that pretty much says you buy everything that comes out, whether you saw it or not. Why? Even if you are buying simply for collecting purposes, how often does one of your DVDs turn into a Salo? Just about never. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but that's just my opinion.

Saxon
Well, you might as well call me an addicted DVD whore too. I have around 6,000.

According to http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvdlist.htm there are over 44,000 DVD titles currently available.

I own about 13.6% of the total available number of titles. Obviously I and others do not "buy everything that comes out." We are still selective. So what if maybe our tastes are more eclectic than yours ... or our tastes are less discriminating than yours ?? Does it have to make sense?? It does to me and that is all that matters to me and that is my opinion.
Old 06-08-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember when there were only 300 movies to choose from. Back in late 1997 I started buying DVDs even before I had a machine to play them. That X-mas I got a new computer with DVD player so that is how I first saw them. That first year I had about 6 movies. In 1998 I was buying one a week or more. In 1999 I went insane and made it to 500. At one time I though I count not possibly need or want any more but as older favorites came out and TV shows started to be had it just kept on going.
It's been 6 1/2 years. I passed 1000 but seemed to have floated here for all 2004 with trade-ins keeping me steady. Out of my collection I have about 100 DVDs that are for the kids or with other people in mind. I keep telling myself, no more TV shows but just went and got Northern Exposure (at least it had a short run). I don't know when I'll finish DS9, Buffy, X-files, Angel but at least I'm up to date with Stargate, STNG, B5, Farscape, and LEXX.
Old 06-08-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do. Not all my favorites but i have never just bought something to buy it...i get stuff i want to see and if i don't adore it...then it sits and collects dust....but i never sell...just in case i might need it later
Old 06-08-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been hovering just below 600 (in the 590's) for awhile cause I go in moods, lol. Sometimes I'm just like "thats a good deal" or whatever and make blind buys or pick up something I liked but never got around to picking up or open a CH account (I can thank them for alot of my titles).......then sometimes I'll look at my collection and think "thats is too many" and put some on half or sell to second spin that I either wouldn't watch again or didn't get around to watching in the first place.....royal tennebaums...

Right now I'm in a state of purchasing, lol.
Credit Cards are evil
Old 06-08-04, 05:42 PM

Im not there yet, but I can easily see myself getting there with the proliferation of TV sets I will want to own.
Old 06-08-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have about 400 releases, but I have well over 1400 discs (mostly from TV shows)
Old 06-08-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
it's called personal taste, and that part of the issue should not even have to be brought up.
Well if its not about that, then its about money. I could easily have 2000 DVDs if I had a higher paying job. Personal taste should always be taken into consideration. Its not to say people with smaller collections don't have broad tastes or even that people who do have big collections have too broad of tastes its just about what you like. And you always have to consider what a person likes or in your case, how much more money you make than me.
Old 06-09-04, 01:24 AM

I have over 1000 and I constantly weed out ones I decide I am never going to watch or the ones I watch and either don't like (blind buys) or like but just don't think I will ever watch again. Sell off on Ebay or I get rid of them at one of the local used stores. I have probably watched 60% of the films either in the theater or on the DVD.
Old 06-09-04, 11:13 AM

i cant even name 1000 movies lol. For you guys where do you keep all those dvds?? I have 167 and i have a big ass custom case in my room, I have about 20 dvds to finalize my collection and then ill just buy dvds when they come from theatre. With 1000 dvds id probably have a dvd room.
Old 06-09-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To some degree, I wonder if a collection size is somewhat proportional to the person's income. I own about 140 DVDs... going to be about 155 when I get those muppet dvds. I'm constantly looking for ways to purge my collection. I used to try to keep it at 100 or less, but its gotten harder.

I don't make much money. On top of that, I'm trying to get rid of CC debt. I don't buy many DVDs anymore, but I usually request them as gifts or buy some if I come in to extra cash.

I couldn't imagine owning 1000 DVDs unless I was out of debt, owned a home, and was making at least 2-3x as much as I am now.
Old 06-09-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cedrock
i cant even name 1000 movies lol. For you guys where do you keep all those dvds?? I have 167 and i have a big ass custom case in my room, I have about 20 dvds to finalize my collection and then ill just buy dvds when they come from theatre. With 1000 dvds id probably have a dvd room.
I have an entire room for my DVDs and 42 inch plasma.
Old 06-09-04, 01:46 PM

getting closer, and closer to breaking 1300....my profiler says 1235...but of course there is more actually movies because of the different box sets I own. (ie: Indy, Godfather, Die Hard, etc)
Old 06-09-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
1620 including some dvd-rs I have made. I would say I like and rewatch most of my dvds. If I don't like them I try to sell them on AMAZON. The ones I don't like are about 25 and upgraded dvds about 30.

I have insomnia and the dvds help me pass the night away.

Old 06-09-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DodgingCars
I couldn't imagine owning 1000 DVDs unless I was out of debt, owned a home, and was making at least 2-3x as much as I am now.
Well, I'm in severe debt and am not a homeowner and have no savings. And I have my 1600+ DVD collection partially to thank for that.

(And before anyone preaches anything in response, just repeat after me: "Everybody's different".)
Old 06-09-04, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by DodgingCars
To some degree, I wonder if a collection size is somewhat proportional to the person's income.
I would have to say no. As I previously mentioned, I am under 200 DVD's, have no debt besides my mortgage, own 2 cars and make what I consider to be a decent income (more than enough to support a family of four comfortably and its just me). I think its all based on personal preferance and where in line a DVD purchase is in the priority of a persons life habits...
Old 06-09-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

forget about the Adkins diet, I use DVDs as a weightloss method. every time I get hungry I go out and buy a DVD and voila, no money for fast food=instant weightloss.
Old 06-10-04, 06:51 AM
Cool New Member

I've got about 950 discs, but that's after having sold around 450 over the past couple of years.
Old 06-10-04, 07:38 AM
Banned

only 935 to go!
Old 06-10-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm fairly certain that people with larger collections than mine have a very small penis so are trying to make up for their lack of manhood in another way. Others with smaller collections are poor trailer dwelling hicks that are not worthy to view my carefully crafted collection. Those with the same number are just copying my style and should get a life.

Disclaimer: the above attempt at humor was designed to offend everyone seperately but equally.

I too would have trouble finding 1000 movies I would want to own right now. If I think I might want to watch it again, I'll keep it. If it has no replay value for me, out it goes. Might as well make room on the shelf. I do understand why some people continue to keep movies they may never have time or interest to watch again. Many are completists for genres, directors or actors. They just like having them. My uncle has close to 20,000 CD's. Some he doesn't care for but they're part of a broader collecting picture.

Last edited by JimRochester; 06-10-04 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-10-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
To some degree, I wonder if a collection size is somewhat proportional to the person's income
I would say no.

I spent more than the average cost of 1000 dvd's on my theater. I watch the DVD's I have along with HD TV there and enjoy what content I have.

I too would have trouble finding 1000 movies I would want to own right now
I don't think I could find 500!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.