Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rate All These People's Collections (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate All These People's Collections (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-04, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rate My Collection.

Here is a link to my collection:

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...styles_stewart

Give me some recommendations if you want as well.
Old 06-01-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
We may have to resurrect one of the "Rate My Collection" threads

The only recommendation I'd say is you need more horror... of course, I'd say that to anyone
Old 06-01-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[Simon] You call that a dvd collection?[/simon]

You know, I never got these sorts of threads. they are either bragging, or simply attention seeking. I see very little discussion that can come of these. How exactly do you expect me to rate it? The post above said you needed more horror. What if you don't like horror? Do I need to rate it on film per film and quality? I mean you don't have any walmart bargin bin titles so that's a bonus. Should it be a "hot or not" rating? Does one man's collection equal their e-penis or something? I just never understood it much so can someone explain the whole theory of rating one anothers collection?

I do notice that you have 22+ fox titles. I thank you for keeping me employed.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-01-04 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-01-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd rather not.
Old 06-01-04, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
Explore pre-1990 a lot more.
Old 06-01-04, 10:16 PM

"I do notice that you have 22+ fox titles. I thank you for keeping me employed."

Jack, if that is the case - then I must be helping to put your kids thru college -- counted 159 titles by Fox in my collection
Old 06-01-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I now only own 5 movies. Is that ok? I was thinking about going for 6 but I'm not sure what people would think of me - maybe I should post another "Rate my collection" thread what do you guys think? Wait don't answer that, shortly I will be posting a "What do you guys think if I posted a Rate my collection" thread.

Whew!!! Sorry, I just want to get this perfect.
Old 06-01-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it's cool. You actually have a lot of dvds that I own or would own.

And anyone who likes Buffy and Angel (not to mention Family Guy and The Office) is fine with me.

8/10 (high and off balance cause you don't have that many to judge from).
Old 06-01-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks as if you spend a disproportianate amount of your DVD budget on TV shows - at least, for my taste. And the actual movies that you have (many of which I also own) seem to reflect the current "these are cool movies" trends rather than reflecting personal taste - there's no mark of individuality in your collection.

Hey, you asked.....
Old 06-01-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

its worse than mine.
Old 06-02-04, 12:01 AM

Movies are such a personal preference and your collection will show your tastes. Also how long have you collected dvds will influence the numbers in your collection.
I have been collecting for almost 4 years, so I average buying 150 movies a year.
I agree with adding more horror movies to your collection as in my opinion they are generally the best to show off surround sound as directional sound is a key element in a good horror movie.
Old 06-02-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BC, here is my review.

Your collection is rather small in comparison to the collections of 150+ that mosts posters here have. This is nothing negative; it's quality, not quantity that matters most. Hoever, quality is what your collection needs - not just that, but variety. You largely limit yourself to only famous and recent films; I would suggest that you take a longer look at older films, and not just 1980's teen comedies (I understand there are a couple of anomolous choices, like Logan's Run).

Your collection also raises interesting questions. Why Aliens, but no Alien? Why only those Criterion DVDs, and not others? Where are the rest of John Cusack's movies ?)

Overall, it's a rather pedestrain selection, but it looks like you're quite particular, and not some more-money-than-sense overbuyer who snaps up anything. Good luck in your DVD-collecting future.
Old 06-02-04, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with someone that said it was a little heavy on the TV. It does have some clues about you, but for the most part, the list is filled with "current must haves" - I could not get a real feel for what you like. Well, obviosly TV on DVD. A lot of good stuff, so its a nice start if still a little shallow.
Old 06-02-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Not enough DVDs to really know where your tastes are, and even if you had 1000 DVDs, those are the DVDs you really like so you would rate it highly - which is the only rating that matters.

However, if you want some recommendations, check out some older films before 1980, there's a lot of great stuff in them thar hills.

Last edited by Jaymole; 06-02-04 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-02-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1) Goto IMDB.com
2) Write down the films ratings into EXCEL
3) Next average them, or do what ever stats you want
4) Now you have your ratings against the near worthless opinions of thousands of people
Old 06-02-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
ooh ooh!

Do me! Do me!
Old 06-02-04, 09:56 AM
Banned

I found your collection to lack interest. You don't seem to have acquired a taste for any films which are not current. You have a great deal of current television as well, too much television for my taste. I would say that you need to broaden the scope of your collection as well as focusing on a particular interest.
Old 06-02-04, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
You're gonna need more DVDs.
Old 06-02-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by EPKJ
IYou have a great deal of current television as well, too much television for my taste.
And, yet, with all of that TV, there's a distinct lack of Babylon 5 and Farscape...

I agree with others that you should probably broaden your interests beyond the past 20-25 years of film. There's 80 years of great stuff out there that you seem to be ignoring. Start with the obvious 'classics' (in genres that you enjoy) and go from there.

Personally, I find it basically impossible to 'rate' or give any specific advice on a collection with less than 500-1000 titles. With only a small number of films, you're obviously going to have huge gaps. And it is pretty difficult to find any sort of interest or pattern in a collection of 50-100 titles.

There are 45,000 DVDs out there and you have 90 of 'em. That leaves a shitload to recommend.
Old 06-02-04, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the feedabck, the reason i posted this thread was just to see what everybody thought of it (i didnt know that was taboo) and to get some recomendations, ive only been dvd collecting for maybe 10 months, the reason i dont have a bunch more criterions, alien, tng setys, babylon five sets etc. is due to lack of funds im just a student right now so i cant spend to much money on dvd's. Anyways thanks for all the feedback.
Old 06-02-04, 11:57 AM
Banned

I don't know where you guys are getting that he doesn't have a lot of horror. Seems like to me he has a decent amount with only 90 titles. More than I do for sure, mainly because I hate horror. The Alien series is the furthest I go.

While we're at it, rate mine. See sig.
Old 06-02-04, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I don't know where you guys are getting that he doesn't have a lot of horror. Seems like to me he has a decent amount with only 90 titles. More than I do for sure, mainly because I hate horror. The Alien series is the furthest I go.

While we're at it, rate mine. See sig.
No subtitles here...how can anyone not have a good selection of foreign movies is beyond me..

Don't listen to him, he doesn't know squat.

If it works for you, that's what counts.
Old 06-02-04, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

I do notice that you have 22+ fox titles. I thank you for keeping me employed.
You work at Fox? You work on the lot or in the plaza? I use to work at Fox about 5 years ago. I started off in the Feature Estimating department and then moved up to Story Development and Finace for a month before ended up in I.T.. I still have a lot of friends there which makes building my dvd collection a little easier with that employee discount.
Old 06-02-04, 01:51 PM

i see buffy, your dvd set should go to -10 after seeing buffy, hahah
Old 06-02-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My are in the signiture... Let me know what I need.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.