Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New DVD Inventory web site

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New DVD Inventory web site

Did a quick search and didn't see this. Looks like a new site for tracking your DVD collection has sprung up to compete with Afficianado, DVD Profiler, etc. www.dvdspot.com

It's fairly new, so it doesn't have the full feature sets the more mature sites have, but it seems to work well for being so new, and the developer seems very responsive to feedback, etc. I still prefer DVD Profiler, but figured I share this discovery with the forum, since it seems people are always looking for a better way to track their DVD inventory...
Old 05-24-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it looks really good. The only downside for me is that I've already got all my discs in Profiler and Guzzlefish, and don't really want to spend the time setting up another tracker.

But I think for someone just getting into tracking their collection, it would work well.
Old 05-24-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow...there are a LOT of problems with it. I can see it being decent after it gets fixed, but right now it's pretty worthless.
Old 05-24-04, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already have mine on 3 different trackers, I really don't need a 4th at this time...
Old 05-24-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Yeah, I don't see the viability for starting another online collection site since the Big 3 have been around and most have put their time and DVDs into 1, 2 or all 3.

But if you have a small collection, I guess it's not as much of an issue as it would be with most of us on this board with the larger collections.
Old 05-24-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too agree that the features look cool but I wouldn't even think about changing over from DVD Profiler. Even if I hadn't just paid it would still just be way too much work.
Old 05-25-04, 01:03 PM

I have been adding my collection to this site, it definitely has been slow moving, but I am really liking the site. The person who built it is extremely helpful and seems to be a real nice guy.

I like the features that this site offers, and I like the layout. There is a pretty large amount of R1 releases already in the database, most with correct information. My only problem with it is the lack of other region releases, since that makes up a LARGE amount of my collection. I have been adding a lot of my movies into the DB as I have gone along and usually they are updated on the site within a few hours. That is great service.

I plan on keeping this one and DVDAf up to date and using these as my main trackers. DVDPRofiler is just clunky IMO and I really don't like the layout, but I love the fact that it is both online and offline. DVDSpot is like a nice mix between DVDAf and Profiler, and it does allow for exportation of your collection as a back up.

For those wary of large collections I am at 930+ on DVDAf and I have been moving along at a decent pace on DVDSpot. Plus the creator will soon be implementing a multiple add feature so it should move even faster in a few days.

Give it a try, you might just like it.
Old 05-25-04, 01:11 PM
Banned

I have been adding my collection slowly as well. I have also been submitting data. The site has potential. While DVD Profiler will always remain my main database, it is fun to explore others.
Old 05-25-04, 01:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
if there was a simple way to upload collection list between these sites it would make it much more of a consideration to transfer and use the unique characteristics of each site, but I don't think they include that technology as a part of their sites because of the whole competition thing. That is a shame though because it would be nice to pick and choose at will.
Old 09-20-04, 08:21 PM

Anybody have any luck doing an export from DVDProfiler to DVDSpot?
Old 09-21-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mikewendt
I already have mine on 3 different trackers, I really don't need a 4th at this time...
Change of heart?

I've been looking for a tracker to use and I like the look of the DVDSpot layout. Anyone having any trouble with this site? Think it will stick around?
Old 09-21-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like it and it seems to be doing nothing but gaining popularity, so it should be around. The maintainer also talks alot on the forums over there, unlike the GF people. It is also very easy to get imports added, as they aren't in the DB by default.
Old 09-21-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by drjay
I like it and it seems to be doing nothing but gaining popularity, so it should be around. The maintainer also talks alot on the forums over there, unlike the GF people. It is also very easy to get imports added, as they aren't in the DB by default.
I am not implying that anything like this would happen with DVDSpot, but I remember when Guzzlefish came out, the creator (or at least someone closely related to it) was always on DVD Talk responding to a couple of different threads and making promises, most which happened at first. It took a while to get like it is now, and hopefully the same thing doesn't happen with DVD Spot.

Just making an observation...

P.S. I have my collection up at DVD Spot
Old 09-21-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Big Worms
Anybody have any luck doing an export from DVDProfiler to DVDSpot?
Yes! There is a pretty easy way. If you export your DVD Collection from Profiler to .xml format and grab all of the UPC's (Use some simple filter options in Excel), you can import all of your UPC's to DVD Spot. I did it in about an hour or so.

Or, perhaps an easier way would be to use the .csv to export all the TITLES from DVD Pro (for some reason you can't export your UPC's to .csv), and import via title in DVD Spot. I personally did the former because I want my UPC's the same, but if you just care about titles the latter would be easier.
Old 09-21-04, 01:12 PM

I will give the XML option a try. I tried the export to .csv but DVDSpot would not take the file.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-04, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by focker
I've been looking for a tracker to use and I like the look of the DVDSpot layout. Anyone having any trouble with this site? Think it will stick around?
I think it will stick around. It is definitely gaining popularity. So far I have had no troubles with the site...atleast nothing that wasn't fixed or handled right away (and that was only in the beginning).
Old 09-21-04, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I just started using them about a week or so ago and like it a lot. I hope they add more ways of getting to various stats to completely obsolete Guzzlefish.

Croy, the developer, is very responsive on the DVD Spot forums and adds user submitted changes very quickly, which is a bonus.
Old 09-21-04, 01:50 PM

Switched over to it after running into problems w/ Guzzlefish. My major complaint is that as it becomes more popular I'm slowly dropping off the "biggest collection" list
Old 09-21-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yah nemein, I dropped off the bottom about 3 weeks ago. My ego was so large when I was like #13 or something, haha .