Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Andy Griffith Show will make it to DVD!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Andy Griffith Show will make it to DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=216369

PQ report = ..........

"This is, without a doubt, the best I’ve ever seen this show look. The elements used for the transfer were nearly pristine, with just a speck here and there. Considering these elements are 44 years old, I’m amazed by the quality."

Old 11-09-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for that review info!

And thanks for those questions. I wanted to ask about the running times but you did it for me.

Epilogues intact and it sounds like the prologues are also intact.

This is good cuz the rumors years ago stated that TBS trimmed them and threw them away. Musta been someone that hated Ted Turner.

I actually have all 249 episodes on tape from around 1985-6 and back then they weren't trimmed like they are now. I even have all of the Mayberry RFD shows on tape and any Gomer Pyle USMC w/visits from Mayberry.

Sicko completist.
Old 11-09-04, 06:59 AM

I would have loved some good extras on these sets, but ah well, que sera sera. I'm just happy to have the episodes finally out on disc.

I was beginning to get tired of hearing people say, "Yeah, I've got The Andy Griffith Show on DVD already" when referring to the countless, ususally subpar, releases of the same old public domain episodes. :-)

I hope that regardless of the "color episode hating" that goes on among many fans, that Paramount stays on track and releases every season. Even though it's not the same without Barney around, I still dig the later episodes, and I'd pick 'em all up.

-Slappy
Old 11-11-04, 09:33 AM

Pity they didn't include some extras. The stuff on the Dick Van Dyke Show was great! Still, it's good they're finally releasing it!
Old 11-11-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a site that reviews all of the public domain discs.

He'll probably add a review for the new one after it's released.

www.tagsdvdreview.iwarp.com
Old 11-15-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A review just popped up at this very site!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13259
Old 11-15-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to order the season one set tomorrow at DDD using one of the many 20% codes for under $22 shipped. That price beats Amazon with a STL discount and free shipping.
Old 11-15-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
You should be able to order the season one set tomorrow at DDD using one of the many 20% codes for under $22 shipped. That price beats Amazon with a STL discount and free shipping.
I thought about cancelling my $24 and change preorder from Amazon but for $3.00....did not want to take the chance that DDD will not be able to meet the demand with the 20% promotion. Amazon is already listing my order as shipping soon...I had a chance to cancel over the weekend but decided to stick with my Amazon order.
Old 11-15-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by djones6746
I thought about cancelling my $24 and change preorder from Amazon but for $3.00....did not want to take the chance that DDD will not be able to meet the demand with the 20% promotion. Amazon is already listing my order as shipping soon...I had a chance to cancel over the weekend but decided to stick with my Amazon order.
I also ordered from Amazon with STL but didn't have the option to cancel because my order shipped Saturday morning when the DDD sale was first starting. For a $3 savings I don't see any reason in trying to return the set for a refund and order from DDD.
Old 03-08-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As mentioned in a new thread, season two will be out May 24.

But here's something new:

Paramount has also announced that it plans to release the Complete Third Season this fall and the Complete Fourth Season before the end of the year. Tentative dates for the those releases likely will be announced before Memorial Day.

Old 03-08-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the thread mentioned

Andy Griffith Show: Season 2 05.24.05
Old 03-08-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for referencing that reference.
Old 05-09-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good news!

Season three will be out in August!

Andy Griffith Show, The - Heads-up on the 3rd Season DVD Release
Posted by David Lambert
5/09/2005

With the 2nd Season set almost in our hands (just two more weeks), Paramount has let us know what month to expect to get the 3rd Season set for The Andy Griffith Show. According to a blurb they passed out late last week, you can expect to see that in August. Stay tuned for details, including box art, contents, pricing, and an exact date, once Paramount firms up their plans and makes them known.

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3391
Old 05-09-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a reminder that season two is out May 24.
Old 05-09-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whoster69
Pity they didn't include some extras.
I talked to Andy Griffith last week, and he said that Paramount has never asked him to participate in the Andy Griffith Show DVDs at all. He said he has no control or say in what is done with the show; it's all owned by Viacom. He wasn't even aware that Season 2 was coming in a few weeks--although he did make it clear that he loved having the show released properly on DVD.

"I tell you something, those were wonderful years of my life," he said about doing the show. "We simply came to work and did the show. The network never intruded on us, never--and the [ad] agency never intruded on us."

(This was during a discussion about A Face in the Crowd, hence the aside about ad agencies.)

He said the only thing he does have control over is merchandise.

"I have to agree to everything they put out, because they use my likeness and the name of the show," he said. "That's the only thing I have control over. I turned down a pair of boxer shorts with Barney Fife's picture on them. I just didn't think they were in good taste. I passed on that."

Old 05-09-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info. It's sad that they didn't ask for him and the other remaining members to do some commentaries, etc.

Where did you talk with him? How is his health?
Old 05-10-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Where did you talk with him? How is his health?
It was a phone interview to promote A Face in the Crowd:

Andy Griffith stands out in 'Crowd'

He said he was feeling great, and he sounded fine. It was an honor and a pleasure to speak with him. And when I told him that, being Andy Griffith, he replied that it was an honor and a pleasure for him to speak with me, too--a true Southern gentleman.

I did get him to use the F-word, though, and to say, "Good cracker!"
Old 05-10-05, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the link and the info Randy. Very much appreciated as always. I always enjoy reading your work.

Originally Posted by rasalas
I did get him to use the F-word, though,
I didn't need to know that Somebody did a song once about "The Andy Griffith Show" and pointed out that nobody uses that particular word in Mayberry; now we can't even say that anymore. Call me a prude if you'd like, but that kinda destroys the image I had of him.
Old 05-10-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm looking forward to season 2 but haven't decided where to purchase it from yet. I might wait until a possible later DDD sale if no good deals show up around the release date.
Old 05-10-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul Drake
Call me a prude if you'd like, but that kinda destroys the image I had of him.
Griffith was quoting a set direction by director Elia Kazan, so he didn't really say it. I hope that restores your image of him. I apologize if not.
Old 05-10-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

did you see pleasentville? F word from the deputy
Old 05-10-05, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by rasalas
Griffith was quoting a set direction by director Elia Kazan, so he didn't really say it. I hope that restores your image of him. I apologize if not.
No apology needed Randy. It just came as a total shock. Thanks for putting it context. I should have known that nothing was sacred after hearing the normally G-rated Dick Van Dyke cursing like a sailor during the "Gin Game".

"did you see pleasentville? F word from the deputy"

I have seen that movie (great film) and didn't catch him saying that. Knotts did use the GD word when he got mad at the kids.
Old 06-02-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More info on season three from www.tvshowsondvd.com:

Andy Griffith Show, The - Season 3 date confirmation

Posted by Gord Lacey
6/02/2005

Various e-tailers are showing a release date of August 16 for the third season of The Andy Griffith Show, which backs up the previous news we posted hinting at an August release. We checked with Paramount reps and they confirmed the date, but weren't able to provide any more details or artwork. The studio is also releasing the fifth season of I Love Lucy on the same day.

Amazon.com has taken the suggested retail price of $38.99 and discounted it to $27.29.

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3484

Yesterday I picked up two copies of season two for $24.99 each. There's a coupon inside for $15 back when you buy two copies of any Andy season or Cheers, Taxi and
Frasier.
Old 07-16-05, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-16-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the image. Just one month away!