Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Andy Griffith Show will make it to DVD!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Andy Griffith Show will make it to DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had heard that ALL shows shown in syndication were cut trimmed up some to fit in more commercials. I guess this is more obvious with an older show like Andy Grififth than it is with a more recent show like Seinfeld since more is being cut out of the older shows which had less commercials during their original runs. As far as I know, all DVD releases include the unedited versions of these shows...I wouldnt be too worried about it.
Old 05-19-04, 11:42 AM

Apparently, Paramount is releasing the first season of Taxi on the same day. August through October is going to get quite expensive for me.
Old 05-19-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My favorite season. I love Weaver's episodes, especially Christmas Story

Be nice if the Pilot episode was on there as a bonus.
1. The New Housekeeper
2. The Manhunt
3. The Guitar Player
4. Runaway Kid
5. Opie's Charity
6. Ellie Comes to Town
7. Irresistible Andy
8. A Fued is a Fued
9. Andy the Matchmaker
10. Christmas Story
11. Stranger In Town
12. Ellie for Council
13. Mayberry Goes Hollywood
14. The Horse Trader
15. Those Gossipin' Men
16. Andy Saves Barney's Morale
17. Alcohol and Old Lace
18. Andy and the Marriage Counselor
19. Mayberry on Record
20. The Beauty Contest
21. Andy and the Gentleman Crook
22. Cyrano Andy
23. Andy and Opie, Housekeepers
24. The New Doctor
25. A Plaque for Mayberry
26. The Inspector
27. Ellie Saves a Female
28. Andy Forecloses
29. Quiet Sam
30. Barney Gets His Man
31. The Guitar Player Returns
32. Bringing Up Opie

Last edited by bigjim25; 07-22-04 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally posted by ENDContra
I had heard that ALL shows shown in syndication were cut trimmed up some to fit in more commercials. I guess this is more obvious with an older show like Andy Grififth than it is with a more recent show like Seinfeld since more is being cut out of the older shows which had less commercials during their original runs. As far as I know, all DVD releases include the unedited versions of these shows...I wouldnt be too worried about it.

You are correct. Older shows made in the 60's ran 25 to 26 minutes. Today's shows run 22 minutes. Shows have always been cut for syndication. Even when it ran on CBS in daytime under the name " Andy of Mayberry" it was cut because the rules said networks could run more ads during the day then at night.
In those days shows were not sold in syndication until they were no longer being produced.

Most sit coms ran commercials after the opening credits, half way through the show. and then prior to the tag. The main story was usually only interupted once for commercials as the tag was usually outside the main story. Of course with DVD we have no commercials during the show.

Some shows on DVD are cut because of music rights. i believe there was a thread about Xmas show of Mary Tyler Moore show being cut because she sang part of a Xmas song.

Last edited by Classic Films; 05-19-04 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-20-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually I have the Universal Alfred HIthcock Presents discs and Im pretty sure some of those episodes are right at 28 minutes. On the other hand, episodes from this season of Scrubs that I, ummm, "obtained", were just over 20 minutes (not including credits). This trend is ridiculously sad,
Old 05-20-04, 12:37 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Scrubs isn't really an indicator of how long sitcoms are today, though, because it's abnormally short. It only runs 26 minutes on first run, with a whopping four minutes of added commercials between the end of the show and the closing credits.
Old 05-20-04, 02:51 PM

Wow, I used to watch this show SO MUCH as a kid. I loved it then, but I'm not sure if I'd really watch it now. If it just has the episodes, I probably won't get it, or just get the first couple of seasons. If it's got enough extras and specials and interesting stuff, I'd totally buy it.
Old 07-21-04, 03:14 PM
Wag

The first season set is up for preorder at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

$27 for 32 episodes. Pretty good deal. No listing of extras yet. In fact the amazon listing is a little bare, and quite hard to find since they give it a title of "Andy Griffith Show:Complete First Sea" meaning any kind of search on Andy Griffith Show season or 1 or one or any combination gets you nada.
Old 07-21-04, 04:17 PM

When are they going to release Leave It To Beaver?
Old 07-21-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
They should get that kid who played Opie to do commentary. Whatever happened to him?
I think he moved on to bigger and better things.. Eat My Dust!
Old 07-21-04, 05:02 PM

Grand Theft Auto was a great film!!!
Old 07-22-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by emhello
Grand Theft Auto was a great film!!!
You can Eat My Dust!!!
Old 07-22-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This update came today:

Andy Griffith Show, The - Why, I declare! Andy Griffith! Cover Art and Everything!

Posted by David Lambert
7/22/2004

TV Guide calls it "one of the greatest shows of all time", and very few people in these parts will disagree. The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete 1st Season arrives on DVD. October 12th is the lucky day for getting all 32 episodes on a 4-disc set.

Nice, colorful artwork, isn't it? Purists have no need to worry, though: the episodes will come in the original black-and-white full screen video that these were first shown in back in 1960. Running time is 15 hours and 15 minutes. English Mono sound and closed captioning for the hearing impaired round out the specs. It doesn't look like there are an extras planned for this release, but if we hear anything different then we'll let you know. Stay tuned!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1958

Hopefully there will be some extras. Either way I'll get it and I think they know that.

The time they list would equal out to about 28.5 minutes per episode. WTF? They weren't that long in the first place. Maybe they'll air the original cigarette and cereal ads the cast did.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 07-23-04 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-23-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

terrible box, it makes it look like one of those $5 Andy Griffith sets from the walmart bin. oh well, im still buying it of course.
Old 07-23-04, 04:21 AM

Fabulous box!

Perfectly captures the spirit of the whole series. Good choice of cover-art pics.
Old 07-23-04, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cannot wait!!!! Preordered thru Amazon for $25.00 and change.
Old 07-23-04, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scarredgod
terrible box, it makes it look like one of those $5 Andy Griffith sets from the walmart bin. oh well, im still buying it of course.
I agree...turned off by the color and there are so many different cover arts they could have chosen. Why not let the fans vote on their favorite cover art? Oh well...
Old 07-23-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ENDContra

The Andy Griffith Show always had beginning and ending pieces that were about two minutes each. Often times they did not have anything to do with the story or just a tangential reference. They were often just little bits of funny business.

But since they stood alone they were usually the first thing to go when cutting the show. I taped all of the episodes about 20 years ago when very little was cut. Just after that a few more minutes were cut.
Old 09-08-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone wanna Share The Love at Amazon? It's $27.29 which is better than DDD b4 the love.
Old 10-14-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New info!

Andy, Barney, and Opie get more attention next year as well. Fans are eagerly awaiting the November 16th release of The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete 1st Season, and some of you are already asking whether there's more of these sets waiting in the wings. Sure enough, there are! Look for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons of this classic show to arrive on DVD before Summer 2005 is over. Oh, not all at once, of course. But they're a-comin'!

Maybe they'll do season 5 by fall and that would cover the b&w episodes before Barney left. They may hesitate on seasons 6-8-the color since only the die hard fans may pick those up. (I will)

Hope they put some damn extras on these since season 1 won't have any.
Old 10-15-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very surprised and excited the series will get most of the B&W episodes out so soon. I could live without the color seasons but may consider a best of if it were released.
Old 10-16-04, 05:11 AM

Buford, where did you get that info? Link, please!
Old 10-16-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

www.tvshowsondvd.com

as mentioned at the beginning of the thread
Old 11-08-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone see any early reviews for the first season yet? Supposed to be released next week.
Old 11-09-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I looked at a few places today with no luck.

I was thinking it was released today but I think it was pushed back and I've forgotten (probably on page 1 of this thread)

I still have had no luck getting any ShareThe Love from Amazon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.