DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The World of Tinto Brass and Italian 70/80s. explotation films

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter:

I am well-aware of the French double set HOWEVER

....the French subs are forced which immediately puts the disc out of the contest...the Swedish version offers removable subs.

R1 SE is NEEDED!!!!

Pro-B
Old 03-24-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just love his movies and there is a lot of his title's in Japan but it's all censored which leaves much to be seen.Anyway I ordered from diabolik dvd the uncut R1 dvd of All Ladies Do It
Old 03-25-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would like to see a laura gemser emanuelle collection of some sort. i have BU's emanuelle in america, media blasters' emanuelle and the last cannibals, but id like to see more
Old 03-25-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally posted by Rockmjd23
i would like to see a laura gemser emanuelle collection of some sort. i have BU's emanuelle in america, media blasters' emanuelle and the last cannibals, but id like to see more
Yeah, me too! I would like to see nice discs of Emanuelle Around the World and Emanuelle Queen of Sados for example.
Old 03-25-04, 09:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Peter:

I am well-aware of the French double set HOWEVER

....the French subs are forced which immediately puts the disc out of the contest...the Swedish version offers removable subs.

R1 SE is NEEDED!!!!

Pro-B
other than finding a pristine print (the current Image DVD looks simply horrendous). What other extras are on this version? A photo gallery would be cool, since the Penthouse special edition magazine about the film, had some great production stills.
Old 03-25-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Giles.

here are the specs-

• Le Making Of (56 min en vost)
• L'interview de Tinto Brass (vost)
• Les coulisses du tournage en diaporama
• Les filmographies
• Le peplum érotique
• Le lien internet vers le site officiel de Tinto Brass

I dont know who currently owns the rights to the R1 documentary that Penthouse had. I dont even think that they still have the rights to Caligula either.....
Old 03-25-04, 11:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

• Les coulisses du tournage en diaporama
• Le peplum érotique
• Le lien internet vers le site officiel de Tinto Brass

can you translate this for me (please).
Old 03-25-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, "Le lien internet vers le site officiel de Tinto Brass" refers to the DVD having a link to the official Tinto Brass site. My French is a bit rusty to translate the other two, but "Peplum" is the Italian term for "sword and sandal" films, which I guess Caligula could very loosely be considered to be. Maybe its an overview of those kinds of films?
Old 03-25-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone tried buying the Tinto Brass collections sold on Ebay? There's a guy from China that sells a collection of 11 Movies in 13 R0 DVD's, he also sells another collection of 12 short films in 4 DVD's. Are these bootlegs? Is the transfer any good? I would really love to have all those movies in my collection, but only if they're legit. By the way, you can find these by searching Tinto Brass DVD. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-25-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Giles
can you translate this for me (please).
Not owning the 2SE dvd I can only guess what the actual content of the extra material is but DVDfr. indicates the following-

DVD 2 :
Making of (56' - VOST) (Obviously you can understant this one)!

Interview de Tinto Brass (VOST)...same here

Diaporama : Les coulisses du tournage par Bob Guccione-A short documentary with Bob Guccione (uncredited assistance to Tinto Brass-directing) on specific scenes from the film production.

Le péplum érotique-With this one my guess is that this is the short extra that was shown on Filmnet years ago. Again not owning this disc I could only guess.

Lien Internet vers le site officiel de Tinto Brass- This is easy....the equivalent of our "Link to the official site of Tinto Brass"....

As I said.....there is some great info on this disc as it appears....As one could have expected the French are the ones that have done the best job with it...given the superb presentaiton/extras they have provided for other classic Italian directors/films...the Pasolini boxset comes to mind....

As to who owns the rights of the extras in R1 land....I have no idea

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 03-25-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by sataniko
Has anyone tried buying the Tinto Brass collections sold on Ebay? There's a guy from China that sells a collection of 11 Movies in 13 R0 DVD's, he also sells another collection of 12 short films in 4 DVD's. Are these bootlegs? Is the transfer any good? I would really love to have all those movies in my collection, but only if they're legit. By the way, you can find these by searching Tinto Brass DVD. Thanks for all the help.
These just reek of "Bootology"....what company would release a boxset with different encoding formats....PAL/NTSC....maybe I am wrong....many of these films are available separately with good transfers....I would avoid!!

Pro-B
Old 03-25-04, 01:51 PM

Not owning the 2SE dvd I can only guess what the actual content of the extra material is but DVDfr. indicates the following-

DVD 2 :
Making of (56' - VOST) (Obviously you can understant this one)!

Interview de Tinto Brass (VOST)...same here

Diaporama : Les coulisses du tournage par Bob Guccione-A short documentary with Bob Guccione (uncredited assistance to Tinto Brass-directing) on specific scenes from the film production.

Le p?lum ?otique-With this one my guess is that this is the short extra that was shown on Filmnet years ago. Again not owning this disc I could only guess.

Lien Internet vers le site officiel de Tinto Brass- This is easy....the equivalent of our "Link to the official site of Tinto Brass"....

As I said.....there is some great info on this disc as it appears....As one could have expected the French are the ones that have done the best job with it...given the superb presentaiton/extras they have provided for other classic Italian directors/films...the Pasolini boxset comes to mind....

Cheers,
Pro-B
Hmm, the dvdcompare.net thread said nothing of forced French subtitles.
Old 03-25-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

via dvdfr.-

- Sous-titres français imposés.
- Impossible de changer de langue à la volée.
- DVDRom.

pro-b
Old 03-25-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The making of documentary seems to be the same one on the R1 Image disc and I believe that Penthouse owns the rights to that (it was previously released on LD years ago, and I recall that parts of it also appeared as a bonus on a different Penthouse video at one time). As for the other extras, no idea.
Old 03-25-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
La Bette-

I have just found out that a Special Edition 3 DVD set is coming this Fall to R1 land. New anamorphic transfer/ improved subs...etc.

What does La Bette- refer to???

Also, what film are you referring to that is getting a special edition?
Old 03-25-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ctyankee
What does La Bette- refer to???

Also, what film are you referring to that is getting a special edition?
I believe he is referring to an upcoming special edition of the Walerian Borowczyk film La Bete (The Beast).
Old 03-25-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by cultshock
I believe he is referring to an upcoming special edition of the Walerian Borowczyk film La Bete (The Beast).
Correct. A 3-dvd SE set is coming to R1 land in the Fall.....of this film:

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 03-25-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by cultshock
The making of documentary seems to be the same one on the R1 Image disc and I believe that Penthouse owns the rights to that (it was previously released on LD years ago, and I recall that parts of it also appeared as a bonus on a different Penthouse video at one time). As for the other extras, no idea.
exactly my thoughts.....that's why I think that it will be extremely hard for one company to come up with a SE in the States that has all of the goodies from the French disc....

I have no idea who owns the rights for the extras....most of them are European product....
Old 03-26-04, 04:38 PM

via dvdfr.-

- Sous-titres fran?is impos?.
- Impossible de changer de langue ?la vol?.
- DVDRom.

pro-b
Thanks pro. I guess dvdcompare.net ain't perfect. So what version of Caligula is the one to get?
Old 03-26-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

well....until someone comes with a SE edition in R1 land... (soon!!!)...I suppose either the Swedish or Danish....(they should have identical transfers).....both anamorphic.....with removable subs....

Pro-B
Old 03-28-04, 07:54 PM

well....until someone comes with a SE edition in R1 land... (soon!!!)...I suppose either the Swedish or Danish....(they should have identical transfers).....both anamorphic.....with removable subs....

Pro-B
Do the Swedish or Danish versions have all the bonuses of the French version? And the Danish one is really priced cheap, so is it a one or two-disc version? The Swedish one was priced at US$28.
Old 03-28-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My understanding is that the extras from the R1 release and most notably the documentary are not present on the Danish release. That's why we have been discussing around here that a R1 release has to come out with the French extras. But we are trying to find out what's the status on the extras here in the States....and we are not doing a good job....we dont know.

Now, we (I) dont know who currently owns the rights to the Penthouse extra. I am guessing that even the film is no longer property of Image...some of the French extras were also used through Penthouse....and NO they are not available on the Swedish release (not all of them). The Danish version is one disc only....similar to the R1 image release but better quality and anamorphic picture...

I wonder who owns the rights for ALL of the extras from the double dvd set in France. If they were "ported" through Penthouse then I would guess that they might still own a portion of them...In the States however it is a total mess....we dont know the status of any of the extra material....the Brass interview....none of it...but as it is probably the SE R1 release we are debating here..has a very unclear future....

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-28-04 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-29-04, 07:57 PM

My understanding is that the extras from the R1 release and most notably the documentary are not present on the Danish release. That's why we have been discussing around here that a R1 release has to come out with the French extras. But we are trying to find out what's the status on the extras here in the States....and we are not doing a good job....we dont know.

Now, we (I) dont know who currently owns the rights to the Penthouse extra. I am guessing that even the film is no longer property of Image...some of the French extras were also used through Penthouse....and NO they are not available on the Swedish release (not all of them). The Danish version is one disc only....similar to the R1 image release but better quality and anamorphic picture...

I wonder who owns the rights for ALL of the extras from the double dvd set in France. If they were "ported" through Penthouse then I would guess that they might still own a portion of them...In the States however it is a total mess....we dont know the status of any of the extra material....the Brass interview....none of it...but as it is probably the SE R1 release we are debating here..has a very unclear future....

Pro-B
Geez, I still wonder why the French insist on forced French subs or no English subs, they are losing customers big time! I also wonder if we'll ever see the 210 minute TRUE director's cut.
Old 03-30-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, Peter...the French simply have determined that Caligula is a film that deserves special attention and have therefore put some extra effort into the creation of a nice SE. As to the forced subs, we have discussed this issue many times before, but sometimes it comes down to license rights which means that certain (SE or non-SE) products are "marred" by the inclusion of forced subs for a reason...they have been licensed only for the French speaking market (TF1 is one of the studios in France that often favors such philosophy). So, I dont think that the French are to be blamed for putting a nice SE verison of an Anglo- film, though produced by an Italian director (with some US help).

Ok, enough hi-jacking....

Back to the original topic. Another good example of the Italian exploitation genre is Visconti's The Damned. Some say the true inspiration behind Salon Kitty (though obviously with a strong art flavor in it).

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 04-02-04, 12:43 AM

Ok, pro, I don't mean to offend but the dvdcompare.net page says a person confirmed that the French subs are optional in the R2 SE of Caligula.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.