Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Schindler's List Single Disc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jough
It was never only available as a flipper - all rentail outlets had the 2-disc since the film came out. Try renting it at Netflix - you have to rent TWO discs instead of just one.

However, it seems that the new packaging is just the old flipper disc in a keepcase. Disappointing.
Everything I just looked up and read said all the talk of a 2-disk version were just rumors. It was only made as a DVD-18 (flipper).
Old 01-24-05, 11:31 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is incorrect. The film was always made as a 2-disc set for rental outlets. Some reviewers got the 2-discs as well.

I rented it from Netflix just to see, and they sent two discs, both with cover art.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60036359

From the Netflix description:
Steven Spielberg's Holocaust epic won seven Academy Awards (including Best Picture) and is an unforgettable testament to the possibility of human goodness. Greedy factory owner Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson) was exploiting cheap Jewish labor, but in the midst of WWII became an unlikely humanitarian, losing his fortune by helping to save 1,100 Jews from Auschwitz. This film spans two discs; both discs will be shipped to you simultaneously.
Thankfully, Netflix only counts this as a single rental.
Old 01-24-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if I go buy it right now, will I get 1 disk or 2? That's my main concern. I hate flippers.
Old 01-24-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Well, if I go buy it right now, will I get 1 disk or 2? That's my main concern. I hate flippers.
to save myself time, I'll just cut and paste the answer you're ignoring:

Try Blockbuster or Hollywood Video for previously-viewed (i.e. used) discs, since they all had it on two discs too, and often have nice keepcase inserts for when they sell the discs pre-viewed.

As far as buying it new at retail, however, it seems that the new packaging is just the old flipper disc in a keepcase. Disappointing.
Old 01-24-05, 11:38 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Well, you can go to the store and find out, or call ahead and ask someone.

The retail copies, as far as I know, are only available as a flipper. So your best bet is to check the pre-viewed racks at BB or HV.
Old 01-24-05, 11:40 AM
Suspended

P.S. Thanks ThatGuamGuy for posting the obvious answer. I've made a New Year's Resolution to not be snarky this year.
Old 01-24-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jough
P.S. Thanks ThatGuamGuy for posting the obvious answer. I've made a New Year's Resolution to not be snarky this year.
I've got enough to improve about myself without worrying about that too
Old 01-24-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
to save myself time, I'll just cut and paste the answer you're ignoring:
I wasn't ignoring them, those were from a year ago. Things could have changed since then.

I figured it was too late now to look for pre-viewed copies. I'm only talking about new ones at retail. I just went to Circuit City and they had 7 copies, all flippers and in the digi-book package.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-24-05 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-24-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't ignoring them, those were from a year ago.
Nope. It was a response to your post dated "01-24-05 12:18 PM"

I figured it was too late now to look for pre-viewed copies.
Well, the problem is, Blockbuster also buys movies back from people, so those would likely be mixed in. But it's still the same answer; that's the only way to get them.

I'm only talking about new ones at retail.
You still should've referred to the part where he said that only flippers were available retail.
Old 01-24-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I replied to that one. I thought you were reposing old ones.

You're confusing the hell out of me now.
Old 01-24-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're confusing the hell out of me now.
Are you sure it's me?

Listen, bottom line, no, you can't get the two-disc unless you work really hard and really search it out and, even if you find it in a used store, you're right, chances are they've sold off their own stock and it's more likely to be a person who traded it in, in which case it would likely be the flipper. I'd say scour E-bay, but I've noticed that the vast majority of two discers on that are bootlegs (but really, really obvious bootlegs, as in they come from Asia and from sellers with no feedback).

Good luck, though, let me know if you have any luck. I'd kinda prefer the two-disc also, if I could find it.
Old 02-18-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I finally broke down and bought the movie at Costco for $9.99. Is the disk supposed to say Side A and Side B on the same side of the disk? I thought that was weird.

Also, my disk has two scratches at the very edge of side B (like 1-2 mm into the play surface), does the data on that side go to the edge? I really don't feel like taking it back.
Old 02-18-05, 01:25 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aparently there was a problem with a lot of the single disks. I had to return mind as it keep freezing up. For a movie like this, it would of been nice as a 2 disk set.
Old 02-18-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Nope- DVD is a 2-sided medium- end of discussion.
It is pretty awkward how they only have one side labeled though. Whose bright idea was that?
Old 02-19-05, 09:05 PM

My region 4 comes on 2 DVD-9s
Old 02-19-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I watched it today. I was all comfy on the couch and hated when I had to get up to FLIP the disk over. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a 3-disk carousel player.