Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One and Only Blue Underground Thread Part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
whats the story in regards to

"Santa Sangre"

a link in the international forums discussion on this denotes that some of the supplements found on the UK R2 'Anchor Bay' release was licensed and copy righted to Blue Underground:

(just ignore the typos this is how the review was submitted for release, go figure)

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=6138

Joderowsky on stage is 24 minutes of footage of the director on stage after a screening of Santa Sangre in London in December 2002 (bugger! What the hell were we doing then?) Joderowsky appears relaxed and initially very humble, but soon warms up to become the wild-eyed, enthusiastic-yet-irascible old sod that his fans know him as. During the Q&A, Joderowsky speaks of the success of El Topo, the origins of Santa Sangre and the state of the American movie industry, claiming that the only US movies he like are Starship Troopers (directed by a Dutch guy) and Dark City (partially Australian). Joderowsky also expresses his dislike for Quentin Tarrantino, even standing up to give a physical demonstration of why he hates him so much (after sitting through Kill Bill last year, we dont blame him!). It is worth noting that the copyright on this end of this piece is attributed to Blue Underground&

is this slated for an eventual R1 US release from Blue Underground?!?
Old 01-20-04, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
whats the story in regards to

"Santa Sangre"

a link in the international forums discussion on this denotes that some of the supplements found on the UK R2 'Anchor Bay' release was licensed and copy righted to Blue Underground:

(just ignore the typos this is how the review was submitted for release, go figure)

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=6138

Joderowsky on stage is 24 minutes of footage of the director on stage after a screening of Santa Sangre in London in December 2002 (bugger! What the hell were we doing then?) Joderowsky appears relaxed and initially very humble, but soon warms up to become the wild-eyed, enthusiastic-yet-irascible old sod that his fans know him as. During the Q&A, Joderowsky speaks of the success of El Topo, the origins of Santa Sangre and the state of the American movie industry, claiming that the only US movies he like are Starship Troopers (directed by a Dutch guy) and Dark City (partially Australian). Joderowsky also expresses his dislike for Quentin Tarrantino, even standing up to give a physical demonstration of why he hates him so much (after sitting through Kill Bill last year, we dont blame him!). It is worth noting that the copyright on this end of this piece is attributed to Blue Underground&

Blue Underground has always produced features for DVD's. This is not necessarily for one of their own releases.
Old 01-20-04, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by djtoell
The reason: the film is under an exclusive distribution license to Amazon.com on VHS for the time being, along with a number of other titles (including Clownhouse, which is why that title was pulled before release date). The title will be coming eventually, so I won't be wasting money on that waaaay overpriced Dragon release.

DJ
What is your source for this information? MGM released no official statement as to why "CLOWNHOUSE" was pulled. And as far as those Amazon.com exclusives, MGM has already released a couple of those titles on DVD including "PSYCH-OUT" and "THE ATTIC" so that theory doesn't really hold up. It's all conjecture unless you have a reliable source for this information.
Old 01-20-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not unless BU acquire the rights from MGM...they merely supplied the audio commentary and filmed extras to Anchor Bay UK.
Old 01-20-04, 11:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by RichDB10
Not unless BU acquire the rights from MGM...they merely supplied the audio commentary and filmed extras to Anchor Bay UK.
MGM owns the US home video rights for this? really..?

Originally posted by EPKJ
Blue Underground has always produced features for DVD's. This is not necessarily for one of their own releases.
well who knew... gosh I learn something new every day. What other films (non-BU release) have they produced "extras" for?
Old 01-20-04, 11:46 AM
Banned

well who knew... gosh I learn something new every day. What other films (non-BU release) have they produced "extras" for?
Dozens of Anchor Bay titles while Bill Lustig worked there and after. I can't be specific, because frankly I don't feel like going through my DVD's, however, someone with a better memory may be able to list some for you.
Old 01-20-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep...according to Marc Morris from Anchor Bay UK so i think it's a fair bet it's true
Old 01-20-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jeff McKay
What is your source for this information? MGM released no official statement as to why "CLOWNHOUSE" was pulled.
A reader at Mobius Home Video Forum contacted MGM and was told that the release was delayed (as opposed to cancelled). A combination of rumors, educated guesses, and logic leads to the most obvious possibility that the Amazon.com exclusivity was the factor that prevented the release. It seems unlikely that any other factor would lead to MGM pressing the discs and shipping out review copies.

And as far as those Amazon.com exclusives, MGM has already released a couple of those titles on DVD including "PSYCH-OUT" and "THE ATTIC" so that theory doesn't really hold up.
Not every film was necessarily licensed for the same time period, so that's not exactly a giant blow to the theory. Other Amazon.com exclusives simply have yet to be released, so it's not a wild idea that the licenses to some have yet to expire.

It's all conjecture unless you have a reliable source for this information.
You can choose to believe whatever you wish.

DJ
Old 01-20-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just watched the Media Blasters DVD of Seven Blood Stained Orchids and im pretty sure the Umberto Lenzi interview was produced by BU.
Old 01-20-04, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by scarredgod
i just watched the Media Blasters DVD of Seven Blood Stained Orchids and im pretty sure the Umberto Lenzi interview was produced by BU.
Definitely not. The interview was done by Kit Gavin and Mike Baronas.

In addition to Anchor Bay (US and UK) BU have been hired to produce extras for Warner (for a Christopher Lee interview on Horror of Dracula that Lee refused) and Paramount (e.g., [b]Don't Look Now).

DJ
Old 01-20-04, 09:51 PM

A reader at Mobius Home Video Forum contacted MGM and was told that the release was delayed (as opposed to cancelled). A combination of rumors, educated guesses, and logic leads to the most obvious possibility that the Amazon.com exclusivity was the factor that prevented the release. It seems unlikely that any other factor would lead to MGM pressing the discs and shipping out review copies.

Maybe that's the most logical reason to you, but that doesn't mean it is FACT. Just that someone contacted MGM and a rep there said it was delayed has nothing to do with the actual REASON it was delayed. The rep apparently didn't tell that Mobius member anything as to "why" it was delayed. And if it was something as simple as an Amazon exclusive rights issue, surely someone at MGM wouldn't have a problem mentioning such an acceptable legal tangle. However, if it had something to do with ALL THE OTHER rumors going around (Salva's past, the boy speaking up again, etc.), MGM would Definitely have to keep a tight lip on any of that. And remember, another one of those MANY RUMORS going around at that time was that they just decided to "hold it" and save it to coincide with the DVD release of "JEEPERS CREEPERS 2" - which we all know now was not the case.

Not every film was necessarily licensed for the same time period, so that's not exactly a giant blow to the theory. Other Amazon.com exclusives simply have yet to be released, so it's not a wild idea that the licenses to some have yet to expire.

Huh? You originally used the argument that the Amazon.com exclusive was obviously the reason for the delay - hands down, no doubt about it. But now you say some of those "exclusive" titles rights may have expired or not even started yet? Which is it? You really can't have it both ways. If its so obvious that all those titles are still "exclusive", then why aren't they? Hey, there's a chance that the Amazon deal IS the reason for the delay - but NONE of us know that for sure and MGM has said NOTHING about it. Funny, though, that CLOWNHOUSE (as well as "THE BURNING") has been "unavailable" for over a year now as an Amazon exclusive. I know this has nothing to do with license terms, but it's a curious point nonetheless. And funny that you can still buy as many copies of "THE ATTIC" as you want on their "exclusive" VHS release ---- or choose the MGM DVD instead.

I don't choose to 'believe' any concrete answer on this until there is an official statement from MGM. I'm not actually losing any sleep over this issue. I have the DVD and the movie sucks - as it always has. Just to be nice, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it MAY be an Amazon issue for the delay. But to say flat-out that you KNOW this as a fact is just as wrong as me saying its because of Salva's past. I have no source and you apparently don't. I actually think the reason for its delay is just because the movie SUCKS. Rumors, educated guesses and logic leads me to that decision.

Last edited by Jeff McKay; 01-20-04 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 11:45 PM

I actually think the reason for its delay is just because the movie SUCKS. Rumors, educated guesses and logic leads me to that decision.
Really? Films often get delayed by MGM due to their suckiness? You call that educated and logical?

Now, back to Blue Underground...

DJ
Old 01-20-04, 11:51 PM

Really? Films often get delayed by MGM due to their suckiness? You call that educated and logical?

DJ
I guess the sarcasm went over your head. Sorry if I wasn't clear and logical about that.
Old 01-20-04, 11:54 PM

I guess the sarcasm went over your head. Sorry if I wasn't clear and logical about that.
So who's psyched about the Fight For Your Life release?

DJ
Old 01-21-04, 12:27 AM

DJ

I'm psyched! But "DEATHDREAM" is still my #1 most anticipated title of the year - hands down.

Peace.
Old 01-21-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

DJ
I've already pre-ordered. I originally saw it at a Drive-In under the title "Blood Bath at 1313 Fury Road". My old VHS copy is worn out.
Old 01-21-04, 09:51 AM
Banned

[B]A reader at Mobius Home Video Forum contacted MGM and was told that the release was delayed (as opposed to cancelled). A combination of rumors, educated guesses, and logic leads to the most obvious possibility that the Amazon.com exclusivity was the factor that prevented the release. It seems unlikely that any other factor would lead to MGM pressing the discs and shipping out review copies.

[b]

DJ
Translation: You don't actually have any basis for your statement about why Clownhouse has not been released. You just feel that it is true. Where I come from that is called a rumor. Rumors should never be stated as facts.
Old 01-21-04, 09:53 AM
Banned

I'm psyched! But "DEATHDREAM" is still my #1 most anticipated title of the year - hands down.

Peace.
Deathdream is the one I am most excited about right now. I had an old VHS copy of this and loved the movie. I have long been a fan of Bob Clark.
Old 01-21-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The ones I can't wait for are the Blind Dead set and Fast Company.
Old 01-21-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the ones I cant wait for are....all of them!

cant wait for Final Countdown....but I really want the 2 new Franco titles. I'm working on my "Franco shelf" this year.
Old 01-21-04, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by The Exister
The ones I can't wait for are the Blind Dead set and Fast Company.
That Blind Dead Boxed Set is exciting. But, I must admit that the Giallo Collection II is also one I am anticipating.
Old 01-21-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely not. The interview was done by Kit Gavin and Mike Baronas.
youre right, my mistake. i watched way too many DVDs this week and got them confused.

it was actually the featurette on Who Saw Her Die from the Giallo Collection, which makes more sense.
Old 01-22-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Supposedly, the Spaghetti Western box set was going to get a re-release at a lower price-point sometime after the 1st of the year. Anyone heard anything about when that might happen?
Old 01-22-04, 05:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
Supposedly, the Spaghetti Western box set was going to get a re-release at a lower price-point sometime after the 1st of the year. Anyone heard anything about when that might happen?
I can't find any news about that on any of the sites from which I order. I'll keep looking.
Old 01-22-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interestingly enough...it is listed as a pre-order for 27th January for the extremely reasonable price of $40 from here :-

http://www.cduniverse.com

I've never used CDUniverse before so can't comment on customer service etc.

Last edited by RichDB10; 01-22-04 at 06:45 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.