DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Braveheart SE???

Old 11-26-03, 06:52 PM

Braveheart SE???

I did a search but didn't find anything recent or useful.

Any news on this? It's seriously needed.

Think they'll do a 10 yr in '05?
Old 11-26-03, 07:07 PM
Banned

I want this too. I would wanch it all the time. I am still on my LD copy. I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get one free from Amazon when they gave them away even though I was a terrific customer of theirs at the time.
Old 11-26-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mel Gibson already did a commentary on the original release. The only thing that's sure is that it will take too long for those wishing for an SE, and will be too soon for those that get mad that a studio rereleases a better version and tries to double dip.
Old 11-26-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe they could release it with the cut/gorier scenes.
Old 11-26-03, 11:14 PM

I've mentioned this before but I find Gibson's commentary a complete snooze fest. I hope they could find something to throw on a SE of the film, so Paramount could throw a DTS track on it as well.
Old 11-27-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm pretty confidence it will come out pretty soon...
Top Gun, Ten Commendments, Untouchables are coming next year in SE

so, there's hope....
Old 11-27-03, 04:52 AM
Suspended

This is needed so badly. I think Braveheart has probably the worst transfer of any DVD I own. What a shame for one of the best movie's I've ever seen.
Old 11-27-03, 07:49 AM

What is this European DVD like..does anyone know?

Old 11-27-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here is the DVDCompare.org.uk listing for Braveheart in regions 1, 2, and 4. It doesn't look like the extra features are significantly different, but perhaps there is a better transfer.

At least with the other regions one gets some of those sweet sweet Icelandic subtitles.
Old 11-27-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is one DVD that does not need another version. The audio and video transfer is very solid and there is already a documentary and commentary.
Old 11-27-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DavidH
This is one DVD that does not need another version. The audio and video transfer is very solid and there is already a documentary and commentary.
i love braveheart, but i pretty much agree with this. no problem with the current version.
Old 11-27-03, 11:39 AM

You must not remember all the "making of" documentary features and what not that were circulating when this came out.

There is PLENTY of stuff that could easily fill a 2-Disc SE.
Old 11-27-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is probably my favorite movie and was dying to hear that Gibson commentary. ...zzzzzzzzzz... definite snooze fest and a waste of 3 hours.

Now the picture could be better. I remember when it came out a bunch of sites were comparing the colors to the LD and the DVD looked washed out. Colors weren't as vibrant. Saw the screen caps and it definitely looked quite different.

I would love a new version.
Old 11-27-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1st disc: Movie only (Director's Cut if the director wishes so), DD-EX & DTS-ES in the highest bitrate possible.

2nd disc: All the special features from the LD and from the dvd + all the extras hidden away in a vault somewhere that were never used.

3rd disc: Origional movie score / soundtrack (DVD-AUDIO version with DTS)

NOW THAT WOULD BE SWEET INDEED!!
Old 11-28-03, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well SMARTY... as much as i love DTS, we're talking about Paramount here... as far as i know, they only got THREE DTS titles so far

so, we can pretty much forget DTS-ES or even 3-disc edition....
well, 3-disc is still possible if they put in DTS & spread around the movie into 2 disc + 1 disc for extra

now, i hope they give DTS on their next coming TOP GUN: SE (early 2004)
Old 11-28-03, 05:47 PM

Any movie based on historical figures/events has great opportunities for supplemental material. Right off the bat they could put in The History Channel's feature comparing the movie to actual history. They could produce their own "Biography"-type documentary on Wallace, Robert the Bruce and the King. Something about warfare and weaponry of the time, perhaps a feature about Scotland's struggles with England?

This was an Oscar winning movie for Gibson, it should have a Black Hawk Down DE-caliber DVD set.

Last edited by JordanGLC; 11-28-03 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 01:06 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The current disc looks and sounds great, and has a director commentary.

What else is needed? A feature-length doc would be nice, but it's not essential.
Old 12-01-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any movie based on historical figures/events has great opportunities for supplemental material. Right off the bat they could put in The History Channel's feature comparing the movie to actual history. They could produce their own "Biography"-type documentary on Wallace, Robert the Bruce and the King. Something about warfare and weaponry of the time, perhaps a feature about Scotland's struggles with England?

This was an Oscar winning movie for Gibson, it should have a Black Hawk Down DE-caliber DVD set.
what he said. I'm happy with the transfer and sound on the original, but this like all historical films is begging for supplemental material that tells us the real story of William Wallace. BHD is a perfect correlation of how it SHOULD be treated....
Old 12-01-03, 12:37 PM

Is the one with the Gibson commentary the latest one that is out? Because I watching it the other day at a friends and the transfer was terrible. There were a lot of black specks that came and went, and in many portions the color would look washed out. I wanted to see the first battle scene with the English, so I started it from that scene and it just looked awful. Was this an older version or something?
Old 12-01-03, 01:34 PM

The transfer is actually pretty good, and blessfully free of edge enhancement.
Old 12-01-03, 01:45 PM

This is my favorite movie of all time, but we don't need another version. Get the one that is out now. It's ample.

doc
Old 12-01-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
Is the one with the Gibson commentary the latest one that is out? Because I watching it the other day at a friends and the transfer was terrible. There were a lot of black specks that came and went, and in many portions the color would look washed out. I wanted to see the first battle scene with the English, so I started it from that scene and it just looked awful. Was this an older version or something?
There is only one version.
Old 12-01-03, 07:40 PM

Are you sure? I could've sworn that there was a flipper and a newer version.
Old 12-01-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
Are you sure? I could've sworn that there was a flipper and a newer version.
Quite sure. Paramount weren't big on flippers.
Old 02-21-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry to bump the old thread, but i just broke out Braveheart tonight and i have some issues with the transfer.

-On about 90% of the camera changes, i see a flash at the top of the screen. It'll cover about the top 1/8th of the image. And on lighter scenes where the flash wouldnt' be noticable, it'll flash dark. It's noticeable during the funeral for williams father. When the camera switches between Marianne and William, it flashes each time. Also very noticable in the fight between William and Hamish. But those are just examples to shoot for, i'm steadily noticing the problem throughout the whole film. I don't think its an issue with my player either, cause i paused and did a frame by frame and i can see the discoloration on the print at the top of the frame. VERY NOTICABLE. And very distracting.

Tons of specs and dust too, but i wouldn't complain about that if it weren't for the above mentioned problem. It almost makes me want to break out the VHS copy. Can someone check and see if they have the same issue?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.