Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Daredevil Director's Cut 30 Nov

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im psyched about this DC and will definitely be getting it. I got the initial release dirt cheap from Target, so a double dip is no biggie. More Garner and more Kingpin please!!

j
Old 11-19-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by chente
I won't be picking this up. The current Daredevil DVD is good enough for me. While not an especially great film, I enjoyed it. If they are going to release another version of the DVD, they should say so up front like with LoTR Two Towers so I can chose which one I want to get.
They did say up-front that there'd eventually be a director's cut. That's the reason I waiting and didn't pick up the original release.
Old 11-19-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
big difference between an official studio anouncement giving the release date, specs, etc and 'rumors' which is all DD seemed to be.
Old 11-19-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ninja tactic or no. It would have been front page news if
Spoiler:
she survived. I know it is very dramatic to leave it up in the air but come on. That is like showing the President getting shot in the head, have a "a few weeks later" title card, then leave a clue he is still alive.
Old 11-19-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

clearly none of u guys are screen writer material. It'd be laughably easy to explain elektras surviving the end of DD. I mean really, if you have watched any number of films and TV shows you know that just cause a persons heart stops, they ain't dead... in fact, in hollywood, if they show a characters heart stop, they are prolly MORE likely to survive the film than any of the other characters.

j
Old 11-19-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
P.S. It's a comic book. Do you really need an explanation for everything?
Old 11-19-03, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Doug Schiller
Maybe the director's cut will explain:

Why a private attorney is trying a criminal rape case.

How Elektra was magically brought back to life after being run through with a knife, heart stopped beating and discovered by the cops which would mean that her identity would have been known and recovery be in the news.

Doug

Actually, the (rumored) Electra spin-off movie will explain it, or if you must know, read Electra: Assassin by Frank Miller. Just remember, ninjas are totally sweet...

As for the whole criminal trial thing, THAT I cannot explain!
Old 11-19-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always thought there was a good film in here struggling to get out.

Lets hope the DC manages to give more screen time to Kingpin who was grossly underused.

Also, I hope they fix that wideshot at the end when Daredevils standing over Kingpin and his lips move but you dont hear him speak (That annoyed the hell out of me when I saw it in the theatre).
Old 11-19-03, 04:21 PM
SeeNo Member

The current DVD is good but I'll probably pick this up since I love seeing director's cuts of movies.
Old 11-19-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DAMMIT!

I got the original for 12.99 though, which ain't too bad.
Old 11-19-03, 04:55 PM

I got the original DVD and will be getting this. The director says they'll be very different movies, so I doubt I'll regret buying both. Plus I doubt the director's cut DVD will include the masses of extras from the original release.
Old 11-19-03, 05:07 PM

Well I dont find Ben Affleck a good actor I thought he was decent in this movie. I was one of the suckers who couldnt wait for the directors cut and went out and bought it the day it came out. Part of me wishes I hadnt spent 30 bucks but it was worth it. I hope the new directors cut will be as worth the money too when it comes out. I will def. be purchasing it when it arrives.
Old 11-19-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ben12
They did say up-front that there'd eventually be a director's cut. That's the reason I waiting and didn't pick up the original release.
If it was announced, I missed it. I thought that it was just speculation. I might consider picking it up if all the supplements were new.
Old 11-19-03, 05:14 PM

I wonder if Fox will do the extended version on D-Theater so I can UPGRADE THE THEATRICAL VERSION I JUST BOUGHT YESTERDAY!. And that in addition to the DVD I already have.

Sheesh. Who said this was cheaper than laserdisc.
Old 11-20-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am glad I have not opened mine yet. I was expecting this.
Old 11-20-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chente
If it was announced, I missed it. I thought that it was just speculation. I might consider picking it up if all the supplements were new.
It wasn't officially announced, but since the film was in production, the director has said there'd probably be two different versions on DVD including some newspaper articles around the time of the film's release. Some of the director's comments at Superherohype.comgave reports on the DVD production and stated that the DC was originally meant to be included in the first release using branching but it was decided it'd be easier to do it as a separate release.

Fox should've done more to publicize the DC but how often fo studios other than NL do so anyway? But enough has been said that people were aware of it coming.
Old 11-20-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jekbrown
clearly none of u guys are screen writer material. It'd be laughably easy to explain elektras surviving the end of DD. I mean really, if you have watched any number of films and TV shows you know that just cause a persons heart stops, they ain't dead... in fact, in hollywood, if they show a characters heart stop, they are prolly MORE likely to survive the film than any of the other characters.

j
You guys are not getting it.

I know there are many ways to bring a character back to life but let's go through the steps the movie painstakingly showed us:

Her heart stopped beating in his arms.
The police discovered her body.

In the real world, NYC where this takes place, the police would then take the body, transport to a hospital and either pronounce her dead or revive her.
Being a rich heiress of a recently murdered father, it would tend to make the front page of all the papers.

I guess the police just walked away, she slowly "Ninja healed" herself, then she walked away to figt another day.

I realize this is a comic book movie, it would have been fine if they didn't show the stupid ending where he finds the necklace. You didn't see Batman thinking the Joker was alive at the end?

BTW, I loved the movie.
Old 11-20-03, 09:55 PM

*sigh*

I'm hoping for some sort of 5 dollar rebate is included. Hopefully rebate + liking comic books > hating Afleck movies.
Old 11-20-03, 10:17 PM

Who asked for this?
Old 11-20-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only a Jennifer Garner nude scene could justify double dipping for me.
Old 11-21-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being a rich heiress of a recently murdered father, it would tend to make the front page of all the papers.
am I missing something? In the dvd extra features did they show the NY Times front page for the next few days or weeks after she supposedly dies or something? people keep talking about newspapers and her dying being a big story... I have only watched the flick twice... but what in the flick tells us that it ISNT a big newspaper story? clearly I am missing something...

j
Old 11-21-03, 02:28 AM

You guys are not getting it.

I know there are many ways to bring a character back to life but let's go through the steps the movie painstakingly showed us:

Her heart stopped beating in his arms.
The police discovered her body.

In the real world, NYC where this takes place, the police would then take the body, transport to a hospital and either pronounce her dead or revive her.

I guess the police just walked away, she slowly "Ninja healed" herself, then she walked away to figt another day.

I realize this is a comic book movie, it would have been fine if they didn't show the stupid ending where he finds the necklace. You didn't see Batman thinking the Joker was alive at the end?

BTW, I loved the movie.

Well, in truth we have no idea how much time had passed between her death and the discovery of the necklace. The way the original source material goes
Spoiler:
she dies and is buried, Matt Murdock checks out the grave (yeah, he digs her up), it IS indeed her, dead, he reburies her, and then later some ninjas exhume the body and resurrect her with some ancient, evil magics you only find in comic books
. So yeah, she could've died, the cops take her body away, it was in the papers, and she was buried. Hey, like you said, it's a comic book movie!
Old 11-21-03, 05:20 AM

No, Doug - YOU're not getting it.
It's comic books.
In the comic books, she was resurrected by the Hand, if memory serves.

Why would they need cheesy Hollywood reasons for her to not be dead, when they have cheesy comic-book reasons for her to be back?
Old 11-22-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
In the D.C. when the police finds Elektras body, one of them says "She's still Breathing"[or something like that]. I believe that it was mentioned on the commentary or 2nd disc [on the DD dvd]
Old 11-25-03, 04:42 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I heard of a rumoured DC when this was released, so I held off on picking up the current release.

I only hope that the new DC duplicates the extras on the current release, which are really good (I borrowed a copy to watch).

-- Jough

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.