Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I reckon I would like to see an SE on SLING BLADE, um-hmm

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarnower
The title phrasing of this thread made me laugh so much. Very funny and clever.
Me too!
I agree their should be a special edition.
Old 02-19-05, 12:41 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to this link, your (and my) worries are soon to be over:

http://videoeta.com/month_dvd.html?month=6&year=2005
Old 02-19-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
According to this link, your (and my) worries are soon to be over:

http://videoeta.com/month_dvd.html?month=6&year=2005
see post 24
Old 02-19-05, 10:05 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Wow, what glitch in the Matrix did I just fall victim to? He he...
Old 03-05-05, 05:38 AM
JM1

So, will Sling Blade SE include the short that started it all... "Some Folks Call It a sling Blade?
If you have actually seen that short, then I think it's highly unlikely that will happen - unless George Hickenlooper (who directed the short) and Billy Bob Thornton have settled their differences.

Basically, Hickenlooper and Thornton were good friends, and all was well until They fellm out over how to film the scene where Carl delivers his famous monologue about how he commited the murder - Hickenlooper wanted to start on a wide shot and zoom in gradually, Thornton thought it would be better all in close up. Apparently the argument got quite heated, Thornton insulted Hickenlooper, and they fell out. Hickenlooper shot the film his way.

There was another attempt to patch things up a few years later, but they fell out yet again.

Also, Hickenlooper was a little put out when Thornton won the oscar, on the basis that his movie was based on a stage play, which is where he claims the character originated from. But Hickenlooper maintains that the play he refers to contained many different characters, of which Carl was only one of them. As far as he was concerned Sling Blade the movie was adapted from his short film.

So essentially, Some Folks Call It A Sling Blade belongs to Hickenlooper, he made it and Thornton has basically disowned it.

Because of this, and Hickenloopers less than favourable comments about Thornton on the making of Some Folks..., I cannot see any way that would be included.

However, this is all Hickenloopers side of the story. There could be more to it. Maybe if there is a making of we will get Thorntons version of events.

However, an anomorphic transfer, a commentary, a making of and maybe some deleted scenes would be nice.

And to think I only ordered the old version last week - had no idea an SE was even in the works.
Old 03-05-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think warner has distribution rights for the short film. it was found on their shorts series a few years back. so i think the problem is miramax paying for it.
Old 03-15-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow! It's gonna be a 2-disk set featuring a director's cut!

From DVDAnswers.com
Miramax Home Entertainment has announced a two-disc director's cut of Sling Blade which is written, directed, and stars Academy AwardŽ winner Billy Bob Thornton. The film will be available to own from the 7th June this year, and should retail at around $19.99. As well as the director's cut of the film, the disc will include two audio commentaries (the original laser disc commentary and a newly recorded one), a Mr. Thornton Goes to Hollywood featurette on the rise of Billy Bob and the evolution of Sling Blade, round table interviews/discussions with Billy Bob Thornton, Dwight Yoakam, Mickey Jones, Daniel Lanois, Larry Meistrich, Harvey Weinstein and Lucas Black and a still gallery. The disc will also include two features entitled Swingblade and The Return of Carl, although it isn't clear what those actually are right now! Miramax hasn't yet released the artwork for this one, but we'll bring you that very shortly. Stay tuned.
Old 03-16-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Wow! It's gonna be a 2-disk set featuring a director's cut!

From DVDAnswers.com
Though it seems like we'll get lots of extras, I'm still disappointed...

First off, as a "director's cut" one can count this will be a different cut from the already released DVD. Now the film was fine and powerful as it was-- why change it? What are the chances of this being an improved viewing experience when the movie's so good as it is?

Secondly, because this is a director's cut, the already released DVD will not be obsolete, as it will still be different and unique unto itself. Cause for… dare I say… double dip!

Thirdly, no "Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade"-- the original short also available on a separate DVD! Cause for, dare I say, “another related” dip!

Fourth, "Swingblade" is already available on the special edition of "Swingers." It's a silly, if not funny for it's time, short made by a director unrelated to those of Sling Blade and Swingers that merges the too films.

So, in the end, I'm on the fence about picking it up.
Old 11-21-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

any new verdict on this? I'm sooo out of the loop, I don't even know what's goin' on.
Old 11-22-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
any new verdict on this? I'm sooo out of the loop, I don't even know what's goin' on.
What kind of verdict are you looking for? DVDTalk Collector Series?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16199

This has been in the $7.50 bin at Wally World and is an absolute steal at that price.
Old 11-22-06, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
What kind of verdict are you looking for? DVDTalk Collector Series?
um-hmm!!!!!
Old 11-22-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: I reckon I would like to see an SE on SLING BLADE, um-hmm

Can anyone post the differences between the theatrical and director's cut and which one is preferred?
Old 11-23-10, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: I reckon I would like to see an SE on SLING BLADE, um-hmm

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Can anyone post the differences between the theatrical and director's cut and which one is preferred?
Mostly just scene extensions and a few minor character moments. It doesn't take away from the theatrical cut, but doesn't add much.