Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

David Gilmour Live is out- any specs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Gilmour Live is out- any specs?

At least 2 sites have it in stock, but no specs. Is it 5.1 & anamorphic?(he wouldn't want to be outdone by Waters). How about a songlist? I'd like to add it to next weeks' preorders, so any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who has it in stock? I was about to get the R2 version.
Old 11-06-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Digital Eyes:

Notes:
Drawing on footage from four concerts at London's Royal Festival Hall (one from June 2001, three from January 2002), this footage features David Gilmour performing material that spans his entire career. Beginning with Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," we subsequently find Gilmour interpreting two Syd Barrett songs ("Terrapin" and "Dominoes"), a performance from Bizet's opera "The Pearl Fishers," a few more Floyd tunes, and a selection of solo Gilmour delights. Rick Wright, Robert Wyatt and Bob Geldof make surprise appearances, and the whole performance is cemented by a stunning gospel choir lead by Sam Brown.
DVD Features:

Region 1 Keep Case Full Frame - 1.33 Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 - English Additional Release Material: Additional Footage - 1. HOME MOVIE - David at home and in the studio 2. SPARE DIGITS - Six guitar solos focusing on David's fingers Text/Photo Galleries: Additional Text - 1. LYRIC SHEETS

Tracks: 1. Shine on You Crazy Diamond Parts 1-5 2. Terrapin 3. Fat Old Sun 4. Coming Back to Life 5. High Hopes 6. Je Crois Entendre Encore 7. Smile 8. Wish You Were Here 9. Comfortably Numb 10. Dimming of the Day 11. Shine on You Crazy Diamond Parts 6-8 12. A Great Day For Freedom 13. Hushabye Mountain 14. Dominoes 15. Breakthrough 16. Comfortably Numb
Old 11-07-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon & DvdEmpire both had it in stock when I checked. 5.1, but not 16x9 huh? Disappointing since most English (as in London) concerts, etc. I have are 16x9. I thought 16x9 was much more popular & been around for a while there. Roger Waters, The Who, Robbie Williams, ELO, etc. are all 16x9. Song list seems like a mixed bag- Fat Old Sun is great, but no Murder? That's his best solo song. I guess I'll still get it. Hopefully the 5.1 will rock!
Old 11-07-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Now I think I need to pick this up.

I love his cover of "Hushabye Mountain" from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."

I only have a really weak sounding boot of it being perfomred and would love a cleanrer sounding copy.

You see, RIAA...you're going to make money from my Kazaa-ing ways.
Old 11-07-02, 12:13 PM

Location: I'm in a state (state)...of confusion (woah-oh-uh-oh)
I bought it on Tuesday, and dont have it in front of me (also dont have a 16x9 tv) but I am 99% sure it IS anamorphic, I remember reading it on the box. Nice show, love how the crowd sits and watches and is QUIET and polite during the show. During a quiet moment inbetween songs a guy very politely says something like 'please play something from Animals,' to which Dave says something like being here all night, but the funny thing is, they guy didnt even have to yell it, he pretty much spoke it from the crowd and Dave heard. If it were here in America there would be too many WOOOOs and screams for no reason from the crowd to hear anything. I still wonder why Dave does songs that Roger sings and vice versa. I would think they (esp Roger) wouldnt pander to the casual PF fan.
Anyway, my point was it IS anamorphic.
Old 12-04-02, 03:33 AM

It has an aspect ratio of 1:85 and it is anamorphic.
Old 12-04-02, 05:09 AM
Banned

great disc !
audio and video are excellent. definately reccommended if you are a floyd/gilmour fan
smurr
Old 12-04-02, 11:50 AM

I got it at Tower Records the first day it came out for 14.99. If you like David Gilmour, you MUST get this DVD. The sound it very good (it has stereo and 5.1), and the video quality is pretty good.
There are 2 versions of Comfortably Numb, and I like both. There are some good extras included as well. Personally, I would buy it for Fat Old Sun alone.
Old 12-04-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish the song Raise My Rent was a part of the line-up. that 1st solo LP was a classic! very excited about this dvd and i'll take it anyway it comes. saw Dave live-solo 5 times in the 1980's, once with Steve Morse....that show had my jaw on the floor....
Old 12-04-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally, got mine a week or so ago.

Not very happy with the video quality. But, what the heck, It's been played about six times already.

Audio is fairly decent at 5.1.

The extras are very nice (the in-house rehearsal and the 3 videos). And as a guitarist, i liked the spare digits section. Unlocked some mysteries right there.

Overall Video Quality: 6.5/10
Overall Audio Quality: 8.5/10
Overall Extras: 9/10
Old 12-16-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to say that I finally picked this one up. I felt obligated anyway due to I started seeing Floyd live in 1971 and have been a big supporter of all the solo projects. it did remind me that I'm lookin' alot older these days!!!!

I'm glad he did a Richard Thompson song and i wish he could have thrown in a few songs from his first solo, but I am very happy with the song selections. and by the way, what the hell happend to R. Wyatt? why the wheelchair? anyone know? I still love the old Wyatt stuff like Matching Mole and Soft Machine. anyway...great dvd.

check out Steve Hackett, Tokoyo Tapes-live also. he's another one of my all-time favs!
Old 11-05-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I'm late to this two-year old thread.

I'm watching this as we speak. It's worth the price just for the fantastic live version of "Wish you were here", one of the greatest songs ever.