Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic Park Replacement Disc Still Going?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jurassic Park Replacement Disc Still Going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-02, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jurassic Park Replacement Disc Still Going

Hi guys, My sister order the DTS Jurassic Park in February and the store sent her the old version, six months later i looked at her disc and it is the old number.
I sent my copy back last year and i was woundering if the offer is still good. I live in Austrailia and would hate it to go a stray in the shipping to the USA.

If you don't know, and you sent your DVD in this year could you put what month you sent it.

Thanks in advance

Matthew

Last edited by BrunnenMatt; 07-07-02 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-09-02, 03:46 PM

I sent mine back a couple months ago, and they replaced it okay. I don't remember the specific address, it should be in Dallas, TX I believe. You should just send the disc in, with a small note asking them to replace it, but just the disc by itself, no case.
Old 07-20-02, 02:41 AM

Jurassic Park R2D1 (DTS) Replacement Disc

Hi, Does anybody here know if the DVD can still be sent into the studio for replacement? If not could you put the month you sent yours in this year.
Thanks BMatt
Old 07-20-02, 06:06 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most likely, it's still going on.

If you want to be sure, you can call them up at this number: 972-293-5903

Found this on the Digital Bits' site:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa45.html

Also, the address info:

Consumers who have purchased the "D2R1" discs will have the option of making an exchange. Please send in the disc only (without packaging), along with name, address and telephone number, to:

Universal Studios Home Video
PO Box 224468
Dallas TX 75260

or

8801 Autobahn Drive
Dallas, TX 75237

(FYI, I also merged your new thread with your old one.)
Old 12-18-02, 10:48 AM

I was just pointed to this thread, I pre-ordered JP DTS when it was first released and I was SO upset because the sound didn't impress me and I was upset that I bought the DTS version (losing out on all the extras from the DD version).

I'll have to check my disc when I get home tonight. I don't have much time to research from work, but does anyone have info on how to tell what #'s are the 'bad' discs?
Old 12-18-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Consumers who have purchased the "D2R1" discs will have the option of making an exchange.
Also, the newer DTS version had all the audio/video specs on the cover outlined with a red box.

Edited to add: D2R1 appears on the inner ring of the disc.
Old 12-18-02, 12:56 PM
Banned

Is it too late to mail an old disc in? Is Universal still replacing them?
Old 12-18-02, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Blade
If you want to be sure, you can call them up at this number: 972-293-5903

Found this on the Digital Bits' site:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa45.html

Also, the address info:

Consumers who have purchased the "D2R1" discs will have the option of making an exchange. Please send in the disc only (without packaging), along with name, address and telephone number, to:

PO Box 224468
Dallas TX 75260

or

8801 Autobahn Drive
Dallas, TX 75237
I just checked and my JP DTS is 'PEMC-D2R1' I guess I'll try the number tomorrow. I would use those addresses, but it's been a while and I'm not sure if I want to send out my disc blindly. I've checked a bunch of sites and I they all say stuff about Universal replacing the discs, but no other info. I also assume Universals site has LONG lost the pages with the info?

Anyone have an official link that still mentions the problem and what can be done?
Old 12-18-02, 08:09 PM

I did mine in August and they replaced it. I just mailed it in, didn't bother to call.
Old 12-18-02, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
I did mine in August and they replaced it. I just mailed it in, didn't bother to call.
That's good to know. I emailed Bill Hunt (from Digital Bits) to see what he says about the postal addresses still being valid. I'll let you all know what I get as a response.
Old 12-19-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That should be fine, I waited a long time myself and it was replaced without a problem. Probably the easiest thing to do is call them directly.
Old 12-19-02, 10:55 AM

Since I was asked to reply in another thread..

I don't remember exactly when I mailed my disc in.. I believe it was in March. I do remember it taking about 3 weeks to get the replacement disc from Universal. I called a toll free number posted on this forum and spoke to a lady that confirmed the address to send it to. I just mailed them the disc in a paper, window sleeve inside a bubble envelope, a short note asking for a replacement, then stamped on 50-cents or so in postage on the bubble mailer and dropped it in a mailbox.
Old 12-19-02, 11:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
Also, the newer DTS version had all the audio/video specs on the cover outlined with a red box.

you mean the back cover, right?
Old 12-19-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
originally posted by DarthMarklar
I emailed Bill Hunt (from Digital Bits) to see what he says about the postal addresses still being valid. I'll let you all know what I get as a response.

Yes - please let us know. As I posted in the BTTF thread, I just learned about this Jurassic Park fiasco yesterday and I'm wondering where in the heck was I when that controversey originally came to light in this forum - because I was clueless about the defect and feel sorry for the untold thousands who probably are still unaware.

The best part was how after I first listened to the disc a year ago, I sort of scratched my head and thought, "This is the first movie ever recorded in DTS?" I sort of chalked it up to perhaps I was embellishing in my memory how the T-Rex sounded in the theater and to consider buying a bigger subwoofer. So I forgot all about it - and then I saw the dreaded "D2R1" on my disc yesterday.

In a way I'm glad, because now I know I wasn't crazy and that indeed there WAS something wrong with it all along. I called Universal's customer service number posted above, but all I got was a voicemail. I left my name and callback number for a current address, but have yet to receive a response.

Last edited by rennervision; 12-19-02 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-19-02, 12:51 PM

I just found out about this also. Please post what you find out. I need to replace mine also.
Old 12-19-02, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by rennervision
The best part was how after I first listened to the disc a year ago, I sort of scratched my head and thought, "This is the first movie ever recorded in DTS?" I sort of chalked it up to perhaps I was embellishing in my memory how the T-Rex sounded in the theater and to consider buying a bigger subwoofer. So I forgot all about it - and then I saw the dreaded "D2R1" on my disc yesterday.
Same here, but before I noticed a lack of bass, I saw the T-Rex and it didn't seem to have the same impact on me. Since JP was a ground breaking film in 3D dinosaurs, the 3D animation was unbelievable because we didn't have anything to compare it to, but since then there have been other AMAZING 3D dinosaur work. Like "Disney's Dinosaur" and the BBC series "Walking with Dinosaurs". So I just figured, Jurassic Park just won't have the same effect on me anymore.

When I heard the lack of bass I thought "well, it was the 1st DTS movie and maybe they've improved it since then so no biggie" and I never thought it might have been a bad disc. Hmmm?

p.s. Thanks for the other post BenCJedi!
Old 12-19-02, 01:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
(Hand raised) another JP fan needing a replacement disc as well.

Go figure why I haven't replaced my copy as well. I guess since I have the DTS laserdisc edition, which has enough bass to topple an elephant, I've been really slow in getting a replacement 'corrected DTS' copy.
Old 12-19-02, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Giles
you mean the back cover, right?
Yep. If I find a pic, I'll post it (unless someone else beats me to it)
Old 12-19-02, 02:10 PM

Old 12-19-02, 03:15 PM

Digital Bits had this to say about distinguishing between the old and new:
The original release of the disc had two stickers on the front, one which promoted the Jurassic Park III weblinks the disc provided, and one which promoted the discs PlayStation 2 compatibility. Some people are reporting that the new discs don't have the PS2 sticker. One thing you should look for is the spine label at the top of the keepcase - on the new discs, it should read: Jurassic Park (WS) (DTS)
And I read these somewhere as well:
The newer, current version can be identified by the code D2R2 and will contain a red technical grid on the back of the packaging as part of the running change.
If you desire to repurchase the corrected Jurassic Park, the top sticker on a sealed, unopened copy will read "(DTS)(WS)" in bold letters; be mindful that the DVD keep cases are identical._ Also, there have been reports that the "(DTS)(WS)" package yields the same old D2R1 disc._ The only true test is the open the package up and verify that the "D2R2" marking on the disc._ Of course by now, most DVD carriers such as Best Buy should have all new discs on store shelves.
I don't know how much that helps. I tried the phone # 972-293-5903 and they said to leave a message and they'd call back within 24 hours.

So the update is: I'm still waiting to hear back from someone.

Last edited by DarthMarklar; 12-19-02 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 07:48 AM

Anyone have any info on this.

My Lost World Disk is D2R0. Anyone know if this is ok or not.
Jurassic Park is D2R2. I picked up both DTS versions at Columbia House a few months ago.

Thanks
Old 12-20-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Mechazilla, you're okay.

There was no problem with the soundtrack on The Lost World disc and your JP disc is R2 (which I would wager is "re-press 2" or "release 2" or the like).
Old 12-20-02, 09:20 AM

Mechazilla,

Fanboy is correct, but (to make sure there's no more confussion) it's only Jurassic Park (the first movie) DTS (R0 and R1), the DD 5.1 version is ok. Also, JP 2 & 3 (all versions) are fine.

On a silly note, Screw the D2-R2 verison of Jurassic Park...I want my C3-PO version!
Old 12-22-02, 06:36 PM

Well is the replacement option still available?
Old 12-22-02, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by mossie
Well is the replacement option still available?
I called the phone number and left a message. They said they'd contact me within 24 hours, but maybe they're on vacation because of the holiday season? If I don't hear back after the 1st of the year, I'll put in a few more calls.

If you want to leave a message too - the number is 972-293-5903. Hopefully someone will get a call back if we all leave messages.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.