Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only Dark Shadows thread (renamed for your pleasure)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only Dark Shadows thread (renamed for your pleasure)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garmonbozia
well if you ever want to find out what happens next.....you can always watch the original show......as the 1991 version basically took its whole plot from the original......it just moved through the storylines at a much faster pace.....
I just did a bit of research, and the 1991 revival took plots from roughly episodes 210-461 of the original show (the original show moved along a bit more slowly and had many other storylines going on at the same time). These episodes are found in DVD Collections #1 through #7. So starting midway through Collection #7, you would be able to see what happens after the 1991 revival ends..........
Old 08-30-05, 04:12 AM
xia

Originally Posted by Crow331
I loved the 1991 show, but my memory is vague, but if I recall ....

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR !!!

Spoiler:
I think it ended with the mother of all cliffhangers never to be resolved !!!! A killer for fans !!! Victoria Winters dangling by the hangman's noose!!! About to die! But then the show never got picked up so that was the last shot of the entire series!!! Victoria dead or alive??? I have no idea !!!! Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but if I am wrong, I won't be reading your correction because I don't want to spoil it for me when I re-watch this!!!

Actually the last shot of the revival series is
Spoiler:
A look freeze frame of Barnabas' face, because he know's Victoria Winters knows his secret. Then it's left at that, never to continue. Because the 1991 series did show her getting back, and the unveiling of Victoria is 1790, when they took her mask off.
Old 10-09-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dark Shadows: The Complete Revival Series = October 18, 2005
Dark Shadows: DVD Collection #21 = November 22, 2005
Dark Shadows: DVD Collection #22 = January 31, 2006
Old 10-16-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any chance the original dvd collections will have price reductions? I'd love to get them all but good lord the price kills me.......also where are the Pre-Barnabus episodes?
Old 10-16-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by demonio
where are the Pre-Barnabus episodes?
they'll be coming out after the current sets reach the end of the show...
so probably late 2006 they will start coming out is my guess.
Old 10-17-05, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by demonio
Is there any chance the original dvd collections will have price reductions? I'd love to get them all but good lord the price kills me
I was at Wal-Mart last night and they had Dark Shadows Collection #1 for $30.
Old 10-18-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
In case anyone's interested:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18279
Old 10-19-05, 11:09 AM
BJ

Can anyone confirm that the Revival dvd's are cut; scenes from the original broadcast are missing??? After waiting so long for this on dvd, I'd be forced to go back to vhs!
Old 10-19-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVD set contains the same length versions as aired by NBC.

MPI's VHS releases contained *longer, expanded* versions of the the pilot and a couple of other episodes. The pilot in particular was lengthened by about 15 mins, while the other additions were very minor.

I'm not so upset by the broadcast versions being used but by the fact that the original aspect ratio has been modified by cropping this 4X3 series to 16X9.

So MGM/Sony screwed this release up in 2 ways:

1. Not using the longer versions
2. Cropping

The VHS releases are superior to the DVD set.
Old 10-20-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No love for this now that it's finally on DVD??

I watched the pilot today and found it to be good cheesy fun- Ben Cross makes a great Barnabas. It feels like a blend of the old show and the original House Of Dark Shadows movie. In a way it feels like a homage to the original show- I would have loved to have seen this stay on the air a full season or two.

What I think is interesting is, the original series left the air in the early 70's and it wasn't until 1990 that we got this quickly aborted attempt at a prime time series. Now it's been 15 years since THAT.....I'd love to see a channel like USA get ahold of the rights to this and try another shot at it in the vein of say The Dead Zone or The 4400 series.
Old 10-21-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The WB had a new pilot shot in 2004, but they didn't like the result and the series wasn't picked up. The pilot has been screened at recent DS conventions.
Old 10-22-05, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm definitely picking this up some time (probably next DDD sale). I was a young teenager when the revival series aired, and I remember watching it at night.... pretty engrossing for a young person like me at the time. Will certainly bring back some memories.
Old 12-02-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dark Shadows: DVD Collection #22 = January 31, 2006
Dark Shadows: DVD Collection #23 = March 28, 2006
Old 12-02-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was hoping with all these box set sales lately that these sets would be among them.......no such luck, does MPI ever think that not EVERYBODY has a couple thousand bucks to spend on the entire series?
Old 12-03-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to buy the revival box set first and see if I like it before I start spending any money on the original series. They are pretty expensive, especially for a Canuck.
Old 01-04-06, 10:10 PM
Cool New Member

I just finished set 1 from Walmart, but I need to know something before I order set 2...

I saw the series' releases at a Suncoast, and after a few volumes the case was trimmed down to a slimmer (yet larger than normal) case. Now, the set 1 that I got from Walmart has the slimmer type case. Have the rest been rereleased as well? Or will my set 2 be the fatter case?
Old 01-04-06, 11:16 PM
Cool New Member

Also, if someone could let me know where the sets switched from Thick to thinner packaging I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-05-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Set 11 was the first one in the thinner boxes, but MPI has been slowly re-issuing the earlier sets in smaller boxes also. This same thing happened with their various Sherlock Holmes releases.
Old 01-05-06, 12:04 PM
Cool New Member

Thank you. Do you have any idea which online retailers I can order from and it would be a safe bet that I would receive the slimmer packaging... or should I just take the higher prices on 2-10 and look for them in B&Ms.

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-06, 02:43 PM

I just started watching the Revival series. I didn't think it was widescreen. I noticed the pic quality on these dvd's are very poor....It's still a good series though...I remember watching it as a kid.
Old 01-06-06, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by cisman
I just started watching the Revival series. I didn't think it was widescreen. I noticed the pic quality on these dvd's are very poor....It's still a good series though...I remember watching it as a kid.

Nope, the correct aspect ratio is 4:3, so the DVDs are crapped (er, cropped).

Generally, a piss-poor release for a series that deserves far better. Too bad MPI didn't still have the licence. This is one case where owning the VHS release (even if it takes up way more space) is far preferable.
Old 01-06-06, 02:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

And to think I sold my complete VHS collection and bought this instead!
Old 01-07-06, 09:18 PM
Cool New Member

I started the revival set today, and after watching the pilot I have to say that I can see the problems. Barnabas chasing after his dead sister in daylight??? Obviously it should have been nighttime. I think MGM remastered this TOO much.

That being said, I'll finish watching them, but I will be tracking down the MPI VHS set when I'm through.
Old 02-02-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dark Shadows: DVD Collection 23 = March 28, 2006
Dark Shadows: DVD Collection 24 = May 30, 2006
Old 03-31-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those of you who do not read the TV Talk forum:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6893583

TV Producer Dan Curtis Dies at 78

By LYNN ELBER AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES Mar 27, 2006 (AP)— Dan Curtis, a producer and director who brought the epic miniseries "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" to television and created the offbeat soap opera "Dark Shadows," died Monday. He was 78.

Curtis, who was diagnosed with a brain tumor four months ago, died at his Brentwood area home, said Jim Pierson, a spokesman for Curtis' family and for Dan Curtis Productions.

Norma Mae Klein, Curtis' wife of 54 years, died March 7 of heart failure, Pierson said.

Curtis' varied, five-decade TV career included the 1960s show "Challenge Golf" featuring Gary Player and Arnold Palmer and continued through 2005 with two made-for-TV movies, "Saving Milly" and "Our Fathers."

CBS' "Saving Milly" was based on political pundit Mort Kondracke's memoir detailing his late wife's struggle with Parkinson's disease. Showtime's "Our Fathers" examined the Roman Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal.

Curtis, born Daniel Mayer Cherkoss in Bridgeport, Conn., graduated from Syracuse University in 1950 and became a salesman for NBC and then MCA, where he sold syndicated programs.

After creating "Challenge Golf" for ABC in 1962, the golfing enthusiast formed his own company and in 1963 started "The CBS Match Play Golf Classic," which ran for a decade and received an Emmy for achievement in sports.

Curtis' pitch to ABC for a Gothic-flavored soap opera led to the creation of the 1966 series "Dark Shadows," about odd, supernatural goings-on at a family estate in Maine. The popular heroic vampire character, Barnabas Collins (Jonathan Frid), was added in 1967.

The show, which ended production in 1971, became a cult favorite that counted young viewers among its fans. It spawned two feature films, "House of Dark Shadows" (1970) and "Night of Dark Shadows" (1971), both directed by Curtis, and a 1991 NBC prime-time series starring Ben Cross.

Curtis reached a career high as producer, director and co-writer of 1983's sweeping "The Winds of War," based on Herman Wouk's novel. The 16-hour drama for ABC, starring Robert Mitchum and Ali McGraw, remains among TV's high-rated miniseries.

It was successfully followed by the Emmy-winning, 29-hour sequel, "War and Remembrance," which cost about $140 million to produce, Pierson said. It aired in 1988-89 and included Jane Seymour and John Gielgud among its stars.

A prolific TV movie producer, Curtis drew heavily from mystery and horror genres and often collaborated with Richard Matheson (who wrote for the classic "Twilight Zone" series). Among their projects were "The Night Stalker" in 1972 and a 1973 sequel, "The Night Strangler."

Curtis did not participate in "Kolchak: The Night Stalker," a short-lived 1970s series starring Darren McGavin but was a consultant-producer on the 2005 ABC remake, "Night Stalker," Pierson said.

Curtis is survived by his daughters, Cathy and Tracy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.