Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Anchor Bay lost the rights to "Army of Darkness" so no, it won't ever happen.
Thank God, their VHS sources were not that great. Finally we might get a release up to par with the R3 HK MGM Dvd, or even better.
Old 09-29-06, 12:30 PM

I finally found the bb version of evil dead today, but they did not have the original box at all. I rented it for now, and there is one more store i can look at in the area to try and find a complete one. My question is, can you still download the actual cover as a pdf? I would like a real case, but i will print and make one if i cant find it just to own this.
Old 10-22-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
Thanks for posting the comparison shots xage. I forgot to do that.

Shoutout to EvlAsh! Nice Meeting You dude in this week of horror DVDs! Thanks for knowledge sharing in the world of Horrors!
Old 10-23-06, 03:02 AM

Nice meeting you too xage.
Old 10-31-06, 04:48 PM

For those of you who don't own the 2003 'Book of the Dead' edition of Evil Dead, but own the standard [2003 THX] version, you can still watch the "Fanalysis" documentary and the "Discovering Evil Dead" featurette. All you need is a computer (with a DVD-ROM drive) and DVD playback software (ex. PowerDVD).

1. Open the 'VTS_03_1.vob' and 'VTS_03_2.vob' files to access the "Fanalysis" Documentary. (By the way, the 'VTS_03_1.vob' file also contains the "Panel Discussion" and SPFX tests.)

2. Open the 'VTS_05_1.vob' to access the "Discovering Evil Dead' featurette.
Old 10-31-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
For those of you who don't own the 2003 'Book of the Dead' edition of Evil Dead, but own the standard [2003 THX] version, you can still watch the "Fanalysis" documentary and the "Discovering Evil Dead" featurette. All you need is a computer (with a DVD-ROM drive) and DVD playback software (ex. PowerDVD).
You can also access it from a standalone player if you can access the titles directly.

http://www.gameskanker.com/gsdvd/dvd_evildeadthe.htm
To access the hidden Bruce Campbell documentary called "Fanalysis", all you need to is directly go to title 15. To access the other documentary called "Discovering Evil Dead", go to title 20.
Old 10-31-06, 05:43 PM

Sweet. Didn't know about that one.
Old 10-31-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up my first ever HD DVD... Army of Darkness!
Old 10-31-06, 10:53 PM
Banned

Actually I believe Anchor Bay got wise to the fact that people could access those features directly so they actually removed them on later pressings. If you have the standard release that stuff may or may not be there.
Old 11-01-06, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Actually I believe Anchor Bay got wise to the fact that people could access those features directly so they actually removed them on later pressings. If you have the standard release that stuff may or may not be there.

The standard release does not show the menu to access those features
Old 11-01-06, 08:11 AM

1. Open the 'VTS_03_1.vob' and 'VTS_03_2.vob' files to access the "Fanalysis" Documentary. (By the way, the 'VTS_03_1.vob' file also contains the "Panel Discussion" and SPFX tests.)

2. Open the 'VTS_05_1.vob' to access the "Discovering Evil Dead' featurette.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You can also access it from a standalone player if you can access the titles directly.

http://www.gameskanker.com/gsdvd/dvd_evildeadthe.htm

Thanks for an interesting facts about this Evil Dead THX edition
Old 11-01-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe.
Me too!
Old 11-01-06, 12:45 PM
Banned

The standard release does not show the menu to access those features
I'm aware of that fact but what I'm saying is that the earlier pressings only had the menu access to those features removed but you could access them directly (as people have explained in this thread) but Anchor Bay found out and actually removed them from later pressings of the DVD so you can't access them on some copies of the disc because they simply aren't there.
Old 12-09-06, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by big e
Originally Posted by Abe.
Me too!
Me three.. a bit late I guess... Need to get the cheapest one out there

The latest addition to my Evil Dead Trilogy collection and my first dip to the world of HD.

reference:

Old 12-09-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait until you see the movie, it looks immaculate
Old 12-10-06, 06:35 AM

I did a comparision between some different releases of Evil dead and posted on some forums.

I was comparing the Elite DVD, Elite LD and the Japanese LD from 1995 to see what version have the best image for the original 1.33:1 ratio (haven't seen the old Anchor Bay DVD yet). Then I thought, just for fun to test the old Japanese LD released 1985. And I found this:

Elite DVD (same as LD, and new Japan LD)

Old Japan LD

The Anchor Bay DVD is also zoomed in.

I watched the old Japanese LD tonight and there are "only" the two changes we have mention here (didn't compare the audio fully). The zooming in of the face and the cut out of the lighting as you can see here:

When they are in the basement, maybe 16 min in the movie, Bruce reads the "Book of the dead". The scene ends like this:

And next we see:

In the old version, there are 1-1,5 second of a lightning strikes a tree between the those two scenes. Here is some shots of that.

There are a big difference between the old Japanese LD's color and the new Elite/AB version.

Elite vs Old Laser

I prefer the old LD colors, even if they are not perfect, I think they are better IMO.

These are the LD's I have used (the Elite DVD and LD is almost the same, the DVD is very slightly sharper).

Elite CAV LD

BEAM Japan LD, 1994-1995

Herald Videograme, Japan 1985
Old 12-10-06, 08:42 PM

Nice Evil Dead LDs an excellent film comparison with the elite DVD
Old 12-10-06, 09:20 PM

Thanks! No I understand why I didn't feel scared when I re-watch Evil Dead in the late 90's, it is too bright and too "warm".
Old 01-25-07, 02:43 PM

Sorry I'm commenting on this so late, but I've just rented the HD-DVD/DVD Army of Darkness so I could see the standard transfer. Is this is a new DVD transfer? This is the best I've ever seen Army of Darkness. I've always preferred the cinema cut, so it seems to me that this is the definitive transfer of that.

I don't understand these combo discs; if you have HD, why the hell would you want the DVD? I don't have HD, so why would I spend 30-some bucks for a bare-bones edition (although for me, the definitive edition)? Stupid. These need to be separate; I would pick up the DVD of this transfer in a second.
Old 01-25-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
I don't understand these combo discs; if you have HD, why the hell would you want the DVD?
The idea behind the combo discs is that someone with HD DVD may want to play the disc somewhere where they don't have HD DVD, such as their car, another room in their house, or at a friend's house. The DVD side allows them to do that, since DVD is much more prevalent at this time. It's a good idea in theory, but since the combos cost more, a lot of HD DVD consumers don't like having to pay more for a DVD side they don't plan on using that much, if at all.

I don't have HD, so why would I spend 30-some bucks for a bare-bones edition (although for me, the definitive edition)?
Well, that's a question you'll have to ask yourself. It should be pointed out though that many people paid around that much for the first Universal DVD of AOD when it first came out. And while you may not have HDTV now, when you eventually upgrade you'll already own the HD version of the film (assuming HD DVD's still an active format at that time).

I do think you're correct in wanting Universal to make the upgraded anamorphic DVD side available as a separate disc though. They could OOP their current bare-bones non-anamorphic DVD and replace it with this version.

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-25-07 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
And while you may not have HDTV now, when you eventually upgrade you'll already own the HD version of the film
I see your point, but:
(assuming HD DVD's still an active format at that time).
Exactly. I don't assume HD-DVD will be active any more than Blu-Ray. In fact, I don't expect these HD formats, for at least the next several years, to overtake DVD, and, furthermore, to be anything more than this generation's laserdisc. But that's a discussion for another forum altogether...

Anyway, if the HD-DVD combo comes way down in price, I would consider getting it. This is a great transfer!
Old 02-13-07, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Sorry I'm commenting on this so late, but I've just rented the HD-DVD/DVD Army of Darkness so I could see the standard transfer. Is this is a new DVD transfer? This is the best I've ever seen Army of Darkness. I've always preferred the cinema cut, so it seems to me that this is the definitive transfer of that.

Some reference and answers can be found in this topic:

Army of Darkness HD-DVD question
Old 03-20-07, 06:30 PM

I recently found a copy of Evil Dead at my local Blockbuster which has a cover variation I haven't seen before. It looks like one of the 1999 releases which came in a clear plastic case with 4 different covers. It is the covr with Ash holding a shogun and ax. I've seen these covers taken out and put in a Blockbuster case but you can tell it came from one of those cases and isn't complete. This looks like a regular complete wrap-around cover. Anyone else seen these? I already gotthe Blockbuster exclusive cover from this store and then this one shows up.
Old 03-20-07, 08:40 PM

I found the BB exclusive cover recently but the disc inside seems to be the old, old Anchor Bay release. What was the disc art for the BB version supposed to look like? Is it exactly the same as the book of the dead?
Old 03-22-07, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JesseCuster8
I found the BB exclusive cover recently but the disc inside seems to be the old, old Anchor Bay release. What was the disc art for the BB version supposed to look like? Is it exactly the same as the book of the dead?

FYI:

Originally Posted by xage

For the others who planned to get one one for themselves make sure to know the following:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.