Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

What to do with > 1000 empty DVD cases?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

What to do with > 1000 empty DVD cases?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What to do with > 1000 empty DVD cases?

If you have any 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 disc cases, I'll buy them off of you. PM me if you're interested.
Old 12-31-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Two girls at once, that's what to do with them!
Originally Posted by Shazam
You need a million DVD empty cases for that.
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
I'll take 75.
Okay, you're halfway to a threesome.
Old 12-31-10, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Finally took the plunge and made the switch to binders for my DVD collection, and now I have more than 1000 empty DVD cases that I need to get rid of. I'd hate to just trash them... not even sure they can be recycled. What to do with them???
As long as they're not eco-cases, I'd love to take 'em off your hands. I could go for a couple of dozen. I'm looking to replace some crappy eco-cases that I seem to be getting more and more of lately.
Old 01-01-11, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll take any clear cases, colored cases and thin/clear cases off your hands. Any multi-disc Blu-Ray cases as well.
Old 07-09-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a pretty old thread (and actually didn't have much useful). Does anyone know anywhere nowadays that will take 1500 or so empty Amray-type DVD cases (currently in about 12 big plastic garbage bags, but I'm not quite done yet)? I'm keeping all the thin cases and most of the double or more cases. I've been throwing them out a bit at a time (partly because I had to prove to myself I could before going through all the time of switching them all), but it seems wasteful if somewhere nearby would have a use for them. Plus at maybe 50-100 a week it's going to take me half a year to get rid of them (although I guess I can probably find a dumpster to sneak them into ). Sorry, I'm not really willing to box and ship them, if it comes to that I will probably just keep tossing them a few at a time.

These are the sleeves I ended up using: DVD Sleeves, along with paper CD sleeves to put the actual disks in.

I actually have been thinking about this for around 2 years, because even though all my media stuff is neat, practically every empty wall in my home office and one bedroom is filled with media cabinets and I found it kind of oppressive, so I tried both vinyl Atlantic DVD sleeves and binders. Turns out the binders, although cheaper, suck. They are pretty heavy and unwieldy, and you really can't reorganize them--they're okish for TV sets (although still not the best) but very annoying to me for movies. They are neat and cheap and that's about their only merits. The Atlantic Sleeves were much better (although I actually prefer the paper sleeves I'm using now to the plastic disk holders those came with), but pretty expensive (they cost like $15 for 25 sleeves, each of which can hold 2 DVDs if you happen to have 2-disk sets or not care about being able to reorganize), plus they are charging like $30 for the box to hold the sleeves (I got some fairly ugly $4 boxes at Walmart instead). I got partly re-inspired by the messy apartment thread and found this cheaper solution and it's working out great. I am keeping the steel-boxes, lenticular cases and a couple of others (goofy packaging like the Grease leather jacket and the Speed Racer tire cover), but pretty much getting rid of everything else even the box sets (initially had some qualms with those but as I see all that space opening up in my house, the twinges pass pretty quickly). Occasional twinges but they're only boxes, and the fact that they mostly have virtually no resale value actually makes it easier (even though I never would have sold most of them anyway, because I actually still like having a pretty big movie collection, it was harder to do this when you could actually get a few bucks for most DVDs).

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-09-14 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-09-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Ironically, I just spent the last few days putting some DVDs in sleeves. They were mostly titles I've upgraded to BD, so I just put the DVD in the BD case if it wasn't a combo pack already. Had 200 cases probably and I wasn't sure what to do with them. I thought about ways to get rid of them for about 2 minutes, then chucked them in the garbage.
Old 07-09-14, 05:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'll have a few thousand to recycle or give away soon. Last year I found one charity that actually took all my empty CD cases, it wasn't Salvation Army or Goodwill but one of the smaller ones.
Old 07-09-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Ironically, I just spent the last few days putting some DVDs in sleeves. They were mostly titles I've upgraded to BD, so I just put the DVD in the BD case if it wasn't a combo pack already. Had 200 cases probably and I wasn't sure what to do with them. I thought about ways to get rid of them for about 2 minutes, then chucked them in the garbage.
Yeah if it was 200, no problem. At the beginning, I was just filling up the trash with as many extras as I could fix and it actually feels kind of great to me when they're gone. When I saw how many it was turning into, I started feeling a bit of guilt--not enough guilt that I probably won't throw them all away anyway though. I wish they were recyclable, because I'm a huge fan of meaningless gestures that makes me feel like I'm doing a good thing, but I think posting a thread about it then dismissing all the responses as too much trouble might accomplish the same purpose

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll have a few thousand to recycle or give away soon. Last year I found one charity that actually took all my empty CD cases, it wasn't Salvation Army or Goodwill but one of the smaller ones.
So are you doing kind of the same thing, and does it feel awesome for you like it does for me?

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-09-14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 12:32 AM

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Last summer I switched to slim cases and went on Craigslist to see if anyone wanted the originals. Turns out, someone did: an elementary school teacher who wanted to repurpose them as sketchpad holders for her students, as well as to hold a DVD of their art from the entire school year in digital format. It was a cool idea. The kids all got to decorate a cover and spine to make it their own and the booklet clasps inside held sketchpads with plenty of room for a pencil. The DVD of digitizing the art was my suggestion and she said she'd go for it. I love that all those kids got good use out of the cases and none of that plastic ended up in the landfill on my account.
Old 07-10-14, 01:07 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ginwen
[...] I'm a huge fan of meaningless gestures that makes me feel like I'm doing a good thing, but I think posting a thread about it then dismissing all the responses as too much trouble might accomplish the same purpose
Old 07-10-14, 06:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginwen
So are you doing kind of the same thing, and does it feel awesome for you like it does for me?
Well, I'm still in the very beginning stages of the process. I haven't decided what format to swap into, it's currently a hodge podge of various binders or ideas. I'm intrigued by your system; any chance you could post some pics or a short video to show how it really looks/works in bulk?
Old 07-11-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I donated a whole bunch of mine to the library. They loved it as so many of theirs get broken and don't hold the discs anymore.

I had combined a bunch of my series/tv shows into thin packs that held 4 discs each. Saved me a ton of space, but still protected fairly well. Not a fan of binders at all. Did that with my cds and ended up putting them back in their cases.
Old 07-12-14, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Burn > 1000 DVD-Rs of movies or other stuff that has never been commercially released, and put those in the cases.
Old 07-12-14, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I transferred all of my DVD's and Blu-rays into Case Logic Wallets two years ago. I live in a tiny apartment and just didn't have the space for lots of shelving units. I kept all the cases and coverart, though. I boxed them all up and put the boxes in my closet. This way if I ever move to a bigger place, I can always go back to shelving them. I thought I would hate having them in binders, but it's actually quite nice.
Old 03-01-15, 08:15 PM
Banned

I never really trusted binders as far as not scratching the discs. Never liked trying to get discs in and out of sleeves either (or worry about them falling out). What I did with mine so far was get a bunch of Versapak DVD and multi-disc BD cases and put all movie series together (as well as repacking TV show seasons to condense and better protect them). Now that I've upgraded so much to BD and merged things down, I'm thinking of throwing some of the DVDs I don't really expect to watch on a spindle (cake box? whatever DVD-R 50/100 packs come in) or something. I'd like to get some more HDDs and rip myself a digital copy of things I'm spindling, but I dunno.
Old 03-01-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The spindle thing seems like a smart idea for rarely seen DVDs, though I have to believe they will never be seen again once they hit the spindle. Browsing them would be much, much tougher on a spindle.

I decided to box up DVDs I thought I might not need to use that often. Out of sight, out of mind. Once I boxed them up, they have yet to see the light of day again.
Old 07-25-15, 10:21 PM

nothing but the best