Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Definitive List of DVD's with SteelBook™ cases. (Part III)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Definitive List of DVD's with SteelBook™ cases. (Part III)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an eventful day. I went back to my local Best Buy and asked a sales clerk about the Sarah Connor Chronicles steelbook. He said that they got a shipment and to wait around for them to unload the truck. I waited for around for a half an hour only for him to tell me that they didn't get any and wouldn't be getting any in the future. He said they only got twelve in on release day and they went quickly.

Then I called up the next closest Best Buy, which is actually pretty far away. I talked to a sales clerk who didn't really know what she was doing. Of the words "Sarah Connor Chronicles steelbook" she couldn't remember anything past "Sarah." I basically had to explain the whole thing several times before she could figure out that there was more than one version of the DVD. She said they had them in stock and offered to put one aside for me. I asked "and this is the steelbook, right" and she replied "I don't know, but it's $22, so I'm guessing." I drive to the store, which takes about 35 minutes and it's on one of the most perilous roads in New Jersey. The customer service line is massively backed up so I go straight for the DVD section. I look at the "New Releases" kiosk and find only one standard definition, non-steelbook version. Not good. I go over to the "New Releases" shelf and I'm scanning, scanning, scanning, there it is! Two beautiful Sarah Connor Chronicles steelbooks staring right at me. I can only imagine my smile. I'm definitely a subscriber in the philosophy that Summer Glau makes everything better. I snatch up both steelbook along with The Proposition and bring them up to the counter. I figure for all my trouble I'll trade one for a steelbook I missed out on. The woman there tells me how popular the steelbook is and that "everyone comes up to the counter with it." I'm so happy I got one. And in case you are wondering, I did tell the woman I had one set aside for me at Custom Service and to make sure it gets put back out in front.

Last edited by Senor Javi; 08-21-08 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 07:09 PM
Cool New Member

I received Black Lagoon Second Barrage Vol. 1 Limited Edition from DD today. There is a large decal similar to the one on the First Season Vol. 1 LE, but I am happy to report that this time it is stuck on the shrink wrap instead of on the steelbook case.

I also picked The Propostion at Target for $9.99 but passed on Immortal because of all the negative reviews I've read.
Old 08-21-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First of all, congrats Senor Javi, getting the Sarah Connor Chronicles Steelbook. But next time, whenever you ask a Bestbuy Rep.. dont ask about steelbook they have no clue.And for those who are still hunting the Sarah Connor Steelbook..

just simply ask a Bestbuy Media Associate (preferably a male) if they still have that DVD with a hanging halfbody nekkid chick

Originally Posted by Senor Javi
What an eventful day. I went back to my local Best Buy and asked a sales clerk about the Sarah Connor Chronicles steelbook. He said that they got a shipment and to wait around for them to unload the truck. I waited for around for a half an hour only for him to tell me that they didn't get any and wouldn't be getting any in the future. He said they only got twelve in on release day and they went quickly.

Then I called up the next closest Best Buy, which is actually pretty far away. I talked to a sales clerk who didn't really know what she was doing. Of the words "Sarah Connor Chronicles steelbook" she couldn't remember anything past "Sarah." I basically had to explain the whole thing several times before she could figure out that there was more than one version of the DVD. She said they had them in stock and offered to put one aside for me. I asked "and this is the steelbook, right" and she replied "I don't know, but it's $22, so I'm guessing." I drive to the store, which takes about 35 minutes and it's on one of the most perilous roads in New Jersey. The customer service line is massively backed up so I go straight for the DVD section. I look at the "New Releases" kiosk and find only one standard definition, non-steelbook version. Not good. I go over to the "New Releases" shelf and I'm scanning, scanning, scanning, there it is! Two beautiful Sarah Connor Chronicles steelbooks staring right at me. I can only imagine my smile. I'm definitely a subscriber in the philosophy that Summer Glau makes everything better. I snatch up both steelbook along with The Proposition and bring them up to the counter. I figure for all my trouble I'll trade one for a steelbook I missed out on. The woman there tells me how popular the steelbook is and that "everyone comes up to the counter with it." I'm so happy I got one. And in case you are wondering, I did tell the woman I had one set aside for me at Custom Service and to make sure it gets put back out in front.

Last edited by xage; 08-21-08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ob1ob
I received Black Lagoon Second Barrage Vol. 1 Limited Edition from DD today. There is a large decal similar to the one on the First Season Vol. 1 LE, but I am happy to report that this time it is stuck on the shrink wrap instead of on the steelbook case.
Thanks for the info
Old 08-21-08, 09:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts
[QUOTE=xage;8889226]

xage,
does your copy actually do that with the eyes??? that is so cool, how did you do that?
Old 08-21-08, 10:32 PM

just trippin
Old 08-22-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Xage, how much did you pay for your T2 HD DVD Steelbook?
Old 08-22-08, 10:38 AM

I picked up a few fillers during the Futureshop Customer Appreciation sale.. Will post a haul pic later..

There's a listing for a FS exclusive Godfather Collection, but no mention of steelbook..
Later
Old 08-22-08, 11:56 AM

I dont know about you guys but I already have my preorder for Iron Man Steelbook through FYE, and I cant wait for the Indy 4 & The Dark Knight Steelbooks!!!
Old 08-22-08, 01:24 PM

Here's mine. 30 total. All US R1 with the exception of Bee Movie. Dune is the Viva, but I always lump it in with my steelbooks.

Old 08-22-08, 09:05 PM

Fast growing collection there bdubby .. Keep it up dude!
Old 08-22-08, 09:44 PM

Just a note to Canadians who order on the Futureshop website. The steelbooks seem to sell out fast but this is a bit of a deception. They put them online in groups of 30 to 50 at a time and don't put more until they sell out. So don't freak out if you can't get your Iron Man steelbook cause there are none left. It will be restocked up until the DVD is released. Also, if they go out of stock on Friday or the weekend they won't be restocked until Monday. This is how I got my Terminator steelbook. Had to wait till Monday for them to restock then got one of the last 2 online.

On another note, is Funimation re-releasing the first Black Lagoon Vol. 1 steelbook? The one that was supposed to be a limited edition? If so, this kinda makes me mad since I bought it thinking they wouldn't make any more of them.

PG
Old 08-22-08, 11:08 PM

Pic of my weekend haul.. It was kinda nice seeing the ones I passed on when first release dropped to $16.99 (I noticed these titles were ones that has a price drop in store with a free movie ticket offer) and 10% off to boot:

The Immortal and Proposition were from Target as I was in the US during that week..

I liked the "exclusive" sticker on the Sarah Connor Chronicles packaging.. Probably will try to peel it and reapply it inside the case.

I was also looking around for PotC:AWE steelbook for a board member and noticed I couldn't find any that I saw a week before. I asked the media person and she said they were all recalled.. I'm taking that with a gain of salt..

Later

Last edited by johnsun; 08-22-08 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-23-08, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by johnsun
I was also looking around for PotC:AWE steelbook for a board member and noticed I couldn't find any that I saw a week before. I asked the media person and she said they were all recalled.. I'm taking that with a gain of salt..

Later
There were about 50 copies of PotC:AWE at the Futureshop near me, and when I went in the other day they were gone. They also used to have about 25 copies of "The Jungle Book" that disappeared as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start getting rid of some of the others that aren't selling well (Spiderman 3, Fantastic Four, Die Hards etc)
Old 08-23-08, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paddy963
There were about 50 copies of PotC:AWE at the Futureshop near me, and when I went in the other day they were gone. They also used to have about 25 copies of "The Jungle Book" that disappeared as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start getting rid of some of the others that aren't selling well (Spiderman 3, Fantastic Four, Die Hards etc)
Now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering if it's because they're Disney titles and they're suppose to run for a limited time? But I just assume they didn't ship anymore and leave whatever is still out there..

The Transformers steelbooks that were re-released around father's day seem to still be in quantity around here also..
Later
Old 08-23-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Future Shop recently removed a large portion of their SteelBook inventory from their online store. This was done, just before the Sarah Conner Chronicles release.
Old 08-23-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by howwon
Future Shop recently removed a large portion of their SteelBook inventory from their online store. This was done, just before the Sarah Conner Chronicles release.
The FYE near me also recalled a bunch of Dragon Wars steelbooks. There were like 7 sitting on the shelf for a long time, but suddenly all gone. I don't know if other FYE's also sent theirs back as well. I wonder what happens to all the recalled steelbooks? Wouldn't it be nice if they all went to a wonderful discount store for us to raid?
Old 08-23-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
snausages, out of curiosity...why do you leave all of your steelbooks sealed? I've seen lots of people do this. For me, I want to enjoy what I purchase; by that I mean see the inside of the packaging watch the movie, etc. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) plan on selling them? Because that makes sense to keep 'em sealed, but if you have no plans for selling them it just seems like there is the potential to miss out on what you have. Just my two cents though, and I'd be interested to see what people who do not open theirs have to say on the subject.
Old 08-23-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's my collection as of 8/22/08:

US R1:

Canada R1:

R2:

R3 (Indiana Jones Trilogy); R6 (Transformers, showing front and back):

Still need to add pics for Sarah Connor Chronicles, Immortal, Black Lagoon: Second Barrage, and more to come when I get some more goodies in the mail in the next few weeks.
Old 08-24-08, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen
snausages, out of curiosity...why do you leave all of your steelbooks sealed? I've seen lots of people do this. For me, I want to enjoy what I purchase; by that I mean see the inside of the packaging watch the movie, etc. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) plan on selling them? Because that makes sense to keep 'em sealed, but if you have no plans for selling them it just seems like there is the potential to miss out on what you have. Just my two cents though, and I'd be interested to see what people who do not open theirs have to say on the subject.
i open them as i watch them...i bunch of mine are still sealed due to just not watching them yet.
Old 08-24-08, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by snausages
Here's my collection as of 8/22/08:

US R1:

Canada R1:

R2:

R3 (Indiana Jones Trilogy); R6 (Transformers, showing front and back):

Still need to add pics for Sarah Connor Chronicles, Immortal, Black Lagoon: Second Barrage, and more to come when I get some more goodies in the mail in the next few weeks.
Hey snausages, Can you post pics of the back of the Pulp Fiction, King Kong and Hitman cases.

Thank you.

Last edited by Willo007; 08-24-08 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-24-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bdubby
i open them as i watch them...i bunch of mine are still sealed due to just not watching them yet.
I've actually seen most of them or have a 2nd copy already. Like bdubby, I also have a ton of DVDs sealed and unwatched as well. And then there's the collectible factor. So for me it's a bit of everything. I would have to say about 35-40% of my DVDs are still unopened ...very pathetic I know.

Willo007, I will try to post up the back pics of those steelbooks in the next couple days.
Old 08-24-08, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by snausages
The FYE near me also recalled a bunch of Dragon Wars steelbooks. There were like 7 sitting on the shelf for long time, but suddenly all gone.
Two FYE stores in my area had the same scenario. In just about a week's difference virtualy all Dragon Wars steelbook vanished. I double checked inventory with the sales associate but unfortunately it shows 0 in their stocks.
Old 08-25-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Willo007
Hey snausages, Can you post pics of the back of the Pulp Fiction, King Kong and Hitman cases.

Thank you.

Here ya go:

Pulp Fiction, Hitman, King Kong in order from left to right
Old 08-25-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like the Best Buy website still has Die Hard and Live Free or Die Hard steelbooks on clearance. Live Free is $17.99 and the first Die Hard is $11.99.

They seem to be sold out of DH2 and Vengeance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.