DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

How do you store 450 DVDs in 3 Square Feet?

Old 03-23-08, 06:47 PM

How do you store 450 DVDs in 3 Square Feet?

You use DiscSox DVD Sleeves :

Our favorites are in their original packaging and the box sets go into these binders

Our newly released favorites and movies we haven't watched yet go into a full size binder and the remainder of our collection is stored in sleeves.

I've managed to decrease the footprint of our collection to 1/5 of it's original size and I have finally discovered a storage system that works.
Old 03-23-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think a wall of media is a majestic thing, this is a travesty
Old 03-24-08, 07:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I like my wall too, but it might have to go someday, as I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a woman willing to live with it.
Old 03-24-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ha ha you own Daddy Day Care.
Old 03-28-08, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen

I really hope you're kidding.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I like my wall too, but it might have to go someday, as I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a woman willing to live with it.
Or someday you'll realize that it's not important to "show off" your collection

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Ha ha you own Daddy Day Care.
I'm sorry if you don't find our collection sophisticated enough for your tastes but it's not just mine (even though I love DDC), it's my wife's, my son's and we bought a lot of DVDs for our grand children.
Old 03-28-08, 10:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Boba Debt
Or someday you'll realize that it's not important to "show off" your collection
It's not about showing off at all.

It is simply much easier to pick my entertainment for the evening when I can see what I have.

People who keep their CDs, DVDs, or video game discs in binders or drawers are far less likely to actually use them.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-30-08 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-30-08, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's not about showing off at all.

It is simply much easier to pick my entertainment for the evening when I can what I have.

People who keep their CDs, DVDs, or video game discs in binders or drawers are far less likely to actually use them.

I used to like having access to the "spines" of my DVDs, in fact I designed our entertainment cabinet in a way that gave easy access to them, BUT as our collection grew everything just started to run together. Then I ran out of space.

The sleeves work really well for us. Instead of tilting my head to the side to read the spines I just flip through sleeves. I even have a space set aside for what I consider to be "new releases", which are nothing more then movies we haven't watched yet.

I have tried a lot of different products and to date this is the first one that I have yet to regret buying.
Old 03-30-08, 05:51 PM

I keep all my DVD in their original cases.

Binders and individual sleeve has that friction factor which promotes disc scratches even if you're extra careful. Scratches devalue the product.
Old 03-30-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by strawberry99
I keep all my DVD in their original cases.

Binders and individual sleeve has that friction factor which promotes disc scratches even if you're extra careful. Scratches devalue the product.
I was not joking and strawberry is right, those DVDs of yours have almost no resell value now. It is a nice feeling knowing that I have quite a few oop dvds in my collection that I could liquidate on ebay and have a grand easy in a week only selling some 20 or so of my 2300 title wall.
Old 03-30-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't even imagine doing what you have done to your collection. I used to transport some DVDs around with me in sleeves, and they DID scratch them up a little. I promptly stopped that practice. And I know, some will say I wasn't careful enough when removing them, but I was absolutely careful with them, so it had to have been the sleeves themselves.

As far as having resell value, I have no desire to resell my DVDs, but the fact of the matter is...when I pay for my DVDs, I pay for the DVD AND the packaging. A nice package is always an extra bonus to the movies, but even when they are standard with just the wrap-around cover art, I wouldn't dare to do what you have done. I have like 8 CD/DVD Towers in a small room in my house (over 300 CDs and over 300 DVDs) and have had no problems with space. If I do become pressed for space, I'll figure something out, but will never resort to this.

...but to each his own.
Old 04-01-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do something similar. It works fine for me.

One nice thing is, when i have nieces and nephews over, they can look at the kids book and not see the more adult titles.

DVDs are worth less and less every day with the new HD standards, so the value on SD disks isn't what it used to be.

As long as they play, when I put them in, I'm happy.
Old 04-04-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had mine on display, but ran out of room -- not to mention when I moved back into my mom's home, I had to cram a living room/bed room into one room. Now that she's moved out, I've got room again. I've gone out and bought some shelving, and now they're back on display! I'm not totally done setting it up.

That reminds me, gotta take some pics, as I've got a huge living room, and not sure quite how to lay it out.