Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Anyone else counts packaging as a big reason to NOT switch to HD?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 09-25-07, 11:16 AM

Don't know if this should be in here or in HDTalk since it kinda applies to both...

Whether it's steelbooks,slipcovers,digipaks,2-3-4 discs editions, giftsets, boxsets,different artwork etc. As a DVD collector i just love that stuff so much that i really can't see myself switching to HD or BD.

I got me the Troy Ultimate edition last night and boy is the packaging sweet! I love stuff like that. You can see they really put some thought in this edition.

Cool collector packaging is one of the best things for me, and i really don't see this happening with either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. It will always be those really ugly red and blue thin cases with the exact same artwork as the other releases.

This Troy Ultimate edition is EXACTLY why i collect DVDs, sure it has to be a movie i like but to me packaging is as important as the movie itself!

I think i'd kill myself before having shelves full of thin little red or blue boxes.

Besides the fact that i don't own an HDTV nor have the money for a HD or BD player (hell even an upconverter player!) i really can't see myself switching anytime soon. And yes i know i don't have to throw away my current DVD collection.

Anyone here who switched really misses those things like cool packaging? And do you think that they will eventually start making them for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

I can't be alone in this... right? :P
Old 09-25-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Don't know if this should be in here or in HDTalk since it kinda applies to both...

Whether it's steelbooks,slipcovers,digipaks,2-3-4 discs editions, giftsets, boxsets,different artwork etc. As a DVD collector i just love that stuff so much that i really can't see myself switching to HD or BD.

I got me the Troy Ultimate edition last night and boy is the packaging sweet! I love stuff like that. You can see they really put some thought in this edition.

Cool collector packaging is one of the best things for me, and i really don't see this happening with either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. It will always be those really ugly red and blue thin cases with the exact same artwork as the other releases.

This Troy Ultimate edition is EXACTLY why i collect DVDs, sure it has to be a movie i like but to me packaging is as important as the movie itself!

I think i'd kill myself before having shelves full of thin little red or blue boxes.

Besides the fact that i don't own an HDTV nor have the money for a HD or BD player (hell even an upconverter player!) i really can't see myself switching anytime soon. And yes i know i don't have to throw away my current DVD collection.

Anyone here who switched really misses those things like cool packaging? And do you think that they will eventually start making them for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

I can't be alone in this... right? :P
It is one of the reasons why I'm holding off on a HD-DVD Player until my Blade Runner briefcase comes in December
Old 09-25-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here. I've got an HDTV, but I'm still not sold on either format right now. Packaging is a big factor for me as well, since I love the look of my colection as much as the films contained within. I'm sure for some titles that have no fancy packaging I wouldn't mind, but I agree that the little blue/red cases aren't particularly appealing to me.
Old 09-25-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Silliest thread ever.
Old 09-25-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Packaging has zero effect on me as long as the disc contains the best A/V presentation of the movie possible. If so give it to me in a paper bag. I may spring for fancy packaging once in a blue moon, but never the other way around.
Old 09-25-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no

I think you're the only one!

Packaging should have ZERO impact on what you buy. It's what's inside that counts.
Old 09-25-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not that big a deal, but I must admit that the blue and red banners remind me of greatest hits banners for PS1/PS2. I assume they'll be less pronounced as time goes by.
Old 09-25-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure there will be plenty of fancy packaging in the future for Blu-Ray and/or HD DVD if they don't stay a nitch format.

Personally I don't care about packaging, and prefer the thin cases, but the pricing is crap.
Old 09-25-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

all packaging should be uniform, so no
Old 09-25-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I haven't made the move to HD yet, but packaging has little to do with it. (on a side note: I just go the Troy UE last night, and I didn't realize how big it was, too me that is just ridiculous for a single title, as it takes up about as much space as the Alien quad or Superman Ultimate set)
Old 09-25-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Your not alone Jonno2006, but packaging isnít the biggest reason why I wonít/havenít switched too HD DVD/Blu-Ray yet.

One of the main reasons I havenít switched over too either of the new formats is because the prices for the players are crazy, I donít have a HDTV & I collect way too many TV ON DVD titles & basically no TV Shows have come out on HD DVD or Blu-Ray. Plus (& I know I donít have to replace my entire collection) I donít feel HD DVD or Blu-Ray is a big improvement over SD DVDs. DVD was a HUGE improvement over VHS.

Iím a sucker for the fancy packaging as well. I agree that the packaging for HD DVD/Blu-Ray discs are quite cheap.
Old 09-25-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
all packaging should be uniform, so no
So you never bought any DVDs that came in snappers?
Old 09-25-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope. I don't like crazy packaging like some TV sets and Box sets have lately. Just fit on the shelf like everyone else.
Old 09-25-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reluctantly. I hate those things.
Old 09-25-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't jumped into the HD game and it's attributable to a few different reasons. But, packaging isn't one of them. On the contrary, now that I've amassed some nice box sets, limited editions, this and that, I'm crying out for space. HD packaging is near perfect as it can be buried out of the way. I only wish DVD slim packaging took off more for the cheaper catalog releases.

Though, I will have to say, I wouldn't want to lose the fancy packaging altogether as it does make the process that much more interactive and fun - to me at least. So, I'll meet ya a quarter of the way OP ....

Besides, it's not like the films in HD are going to be offered any less cheaply because of generic packaging.
Old 09-25-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I imagine when the formats are truly adopted they will start putting out nice collector's packaging for movies.
Old 09-25-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, I love the HD-DVD/Blu-ray packaging. It's consistent(with the exception of The Sopranos Season 6, Part I which I don't have anyway), slimmer, and smaller. Which means they look better on the shelf while taking up less space.

I love that 5-disc sets like Smallville Season 5 and Blade Runner can fit comfortably into packages that are the same size as a 2-disc DVD set.
Old 09-25-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On a scale of 1-10, the degree to which packaging influences my decision to buy or not buy something rates a 3.
Old 09-25-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I'm concerned, the slim, smaller HD disc cases are one of the ONLY reasons I want to go HD -- but I won't until 1) the format wars are decided and 2) the prices come down.
Old 09-25-07, 01:00 PM
Banned

Nope, packaging is just superficial fluff to me. It is the movie that counts.
Old 09-25-07, 01:15 PM

I might not be alone but we're not alot thats for sure!

And of course it's what's inside the box that counts but if it's a movie i love and it has really unique and cool packaging it's even better!

The DVDs i love the most in my collection are the ones that have cool packaging. Like the Ultimate Superman tin set, Alien Quadrologie, LOTR extended editions, Ultimate Troy,and all my steelbooks! I'm probably forgetting a couple..

Anyway,thanks for the input people!

Last edited by Jonno2006; 09-25-07 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-25-07, 01:16 PM

good god - no... what a lame excuse not to get on the HiDef bandwagon... hand me the movie in a paperbag and I'd be happy - I buy a movie for the movie - not for the packaging (jeesh)
Old 09-25-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Giles, I'm totally with you. I don't have an HD player yet, but I love their simple space-saving skinny packaging. I've put all my DVDs in wallets that hold 96 DVDs, and I keep all the DVD cases in a carboard box in my basement.
Old 09-25-07, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Giles, I'm totally with you. I don't have an HD player yet, but I love their simple space-saving skinny packaging. I've put all my DVDs in wallets that hold 96 DVDs, and I keep all the DVD cases in a carboard box in my basement.
I guess that's where you and I differ, i love to display and showcase my movies and for you that's obviously not the case since you store them in boxes in your basement...

Oh and thanks for moving this thread into the board with the LEAST activity on here!
Old 09-25-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh and thanks for moving this thread into the board with the LEAST activity on here!
regardless of activity, this is actually the appropriate forum for it.

personally, though i'm not enamored with the packaging of the hi-def formats (specifically, the annoyingly ever-present red and blue borders as well as far-too-conspicuous format logos and taglines), the packaging is not what has held me back from jumping on board.

i won't be jumping into blu-ray anytime soon because:
-- the hardware prices are still outside of my budget
-- the hardware specs are not mature enough (specifically, no currently-announced players support spec 2.0)
-- hardly any of their currently-released exclusive titles are all that appealing to me

i will probably be picking up an HD DVD player next month, but i am somewhat hesitant because:
-- while the specs for the hardware are fully mature, the hardware performance thus far has been fairly buggy and probably needs another couple of generations to stabilize
-- the apparent issues with combo discs are somewhat troubling...i wish the studios would offer HD DVD-only versions day and date with the combos

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.