Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Anyone else counts packaging as a big reason to NOT switch to HD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Anyone else counts packaging as a big reason to NOT switch to HD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 08:11 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno2006
I guess that's where you and I differ, i love to display and showcase my movies and for you that's obviously not the case since you store them in boxes in your basement...

Oh and thanks for moving this thread into the board with the LEAST activity on here!
Yep, I'm afraid this is the forum it should have been posted into in the first place.

I'm torn on this issue. I do love to display my collection, and their varied cases, but I simply don't have the room to display 2000 DVDs.

So I have half of my collection in binders, with the cases in bins in storage.

But i actually just bought a bunch of elfa shelving at the Container Store, and depending on how it goes, I may put most of my collection back on shelves.
Old 09-26-07, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love special packaging, steelbook etc., but that certainly isnt why I have made the switch. I have an upconvert player right now and its amazing and will continue to work for me untill the price goes down. The smaller cases might be a blessing for those with large collections and limited space like myself.
Old 09-26-07, 08:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by haleyxvader
I love special packaging, steelbook etc., but that certainly isnt why I have made the switch. I have an upconvert player right now and its amazing and will continue to work for me untill the price goes down. The smaller cases might be a blessing for those with large collections and limited space like myself.
exactly

also:

however with some studios, ahem Fox - they pull shit moves like not porting all of the extras for the Bluray edition of 'Robocop' or the sanitized version of 'Live Free or Die Hard' on BR - and some will for go HiDef cause the studios are jerks and do stupid moves like this.
Old 09-26-07, 08:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Oh and thanks for moving this thread into the board with the LEAST activity on here!
Since this is a discussion primarily about covers this is the forum it belongs in.
Old 09-26-07, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
exactly

also:

however with some studios, ahem Fox - they pull shit moves like not porting all of the extras for the Bluray edition of 'Robocop' or the sanitized version of 'Live Free or Die Hard' on BR - and some will for go HiDef cause the studios are jerks and do stupid moves like this.
Ive noticed this also, why have a High Def format thats supposed to have a larger disc capacity and not have as many extras. Like a majority Ill just keep on waiting.
Old 09-27-07, 01:09 PM

Nice DVD packages are really a BIG reason for me not to switch to hi-def. I'll consider the possibility of switching only when: 1. Hi-def discs will have as cool packages as some DVDs have; 2. When they're sold cheaper than they are now.
Old 09-28-07, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im with you jonno. call it silly, stupid, lame, insane, and so on, but i loves me my packaging. so, like giggles, if hd discs came with equally sweet/crappy exclusives and whatnot, id prolly make the switch. and no need to flame me, because i know im silly like that
Old 09-28-07, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoy fun packaging as much as the next man, but find it becomes a bit meaningless when I have a better quality presentation of the film in HD. I have already sold off numerous digipaks because I have replaced them with the HD versions.

I would definitely keep certain packages, whether it is extras that might not have made it to HD, or a package that I'm particularly fond of. However, I find once I have the HD version, there are actually very few standard def packages that I feel the urge to hold onto.
Old 09-29-07, 07:49 PM

i would count packaging as a reason, but not the BIG reason that i'm holding off on the switch to HD. it's already upsetting that nice packaging is barely there for DVDs. the cheap-looking, flimsy HD cases and lack of inserts is disappointing. although the packaging for tv sets such as heroes and the sopranos is pretty nice.

the quality that i'm getting with my upconvert dvd player on my plasma is excellent. of course, i can see the difference from when i'm watching HD television programming in comparison to dvd, but i dunno, i'm happy with the image already, so having the "best" a/v quality isn't that big of a reason to go to HD.

it's incredibly annoying that even standard dvds don't have inserts or disc artwork anymore (at least paramount/universal dvds for the most part don't) so when i come across a nicely packaged set, like the superman tin collection or sin city extended or anything else, i'm happy to see there's some effort put into the packaging and i feel like i'm actually GETTING something for my money.

and i realize that the content on the disc is important, and most people cite that that's what they care about most, but honestly, i could easily download pretty good quality movies from itunes cheaper or download dvd rips illegally for free but i don't. you'd think the fact that because we're actually PURCHASING these physical dvds instead of burning copies that they'd try to use better packaging/disc artwork/inserts as an incentive, but nope, they don't.

so the simplified point of my whole rant is that yes, i agree packaging is a reason that i'm not making the switch to HD.