Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

The Definitive DVDs with Slipcases/Slipcovers Thread (Ver.2)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

The Definitive DVDs with Slipcases/Slipcovers Thread (Ver.2)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Premonition.. is that the Sandra Bullock film or the Japanese one (aka Yogen)?

Thank you kindly.
Old 10-22-07, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New lenticulars + new releases

Just some new covers before the Tuesday rush...

Jingle All the Way (Family Fun Edition)
Hollow Man (Director's Cut)

New lenticular reissues...

The Fog
Wrong Turn
Phantasm 4

With most of the Stanley Kubrick catalog getting the double disc treatment tomorrow ("Clockwork", "Shining", "Full Metal", etc), we could be seeing a ton of new sc's or just a few predictable ones ("Meet the Robinsons", etc)
Old 10-22-07, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
Premonition.. is that the Sandra Bullock film or the Japanese one (aka Yogen)?

Thank you kindly.
The Sandra Bullock one.
Old 10-23-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Slipcovers for 10/23/07

Hey all,

Here's what I've seen so far today:

Meet the Robinsons
Hostel: Director's Cut
Hostel Part II
Saw III: Director's Cut

From what I've been gathering, the Kubrick Special Editions do not come with slipcovers. Granted, I only saw a couple of them today and they were hidden behind other DVDs. The Best Buy I visited really had no fanfare behind the release. I'll hit a few more stores on the way home to confirm.

johnsun, thanks for the pix! Those clear covers look awesome! Were those the only titles available or were there more hidden behind others?

Thanks again!
Old 10-23-07, 01:58 PM

Valeyard, if you take a look at DVDEmpire back covers for the new Kubrick DVDs, they seem to have a slipcover.
Old 10-23-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EDIT: Okay. I'm having no luck finding the Kubrick DVDs. I struck out at the Best Buy and Target on the way home. I'm assuming they did come with slicovers (per Frenzal's above comment) so if anyone can shoot me a list of the Kubrick releases and if ALL of them came with covers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by The Valeyard; 10-23-07 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

johnsun, thanks for the pix! Those clear covers look awesome! Were those the only titles available or were there more hidden behind others?

Thanks again!
Hi. There were pretty much the same ones behind each other. They had more Thirteen Ghosts at the time and only a couple of Corpse Bride.. Has anyone spotted them at US retailers?
Later
Old 10-24-07, 12:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
The Shining new release had a slipcover at Target, didn't look for the others, just happened to notice that one.
Old 10-24-07, 08:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Saw Shining and Clockwork Orange at WM today.
Old 10-25-07, 08:35 AM

Kubrickian Mystery....

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Okay. I'm having no luck finding the Kubrick DVDs... so if anyone can shoot me a list of the Kubrick releases and if ALL of them came with covers, it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!
Some things about the Kubrick series i found out...it's just 5 movies (2001, Clockwork, Shining, Full Metal, Eyes Wide Shut) which are in a 10 disc Kubrick Box Set. The diff being Full Metal Jacket (1987) DID NOT get a 2-disc treatment (WHY???) so the 10th disc in the set is an S.K. doc, "Stanley Kubrick: A Life In Pictures". Full Metal DID, however, get some extras added (a new featurette and a theatrical trailer) and is remastered (so it's not just the previous release repackaged) but it is only available in the box set and not seperatly. (again WB,....WHY???)

Therefor, the remaining 4 S.K. movies all have slipcovers and belong on the list (i also posted some new lenticulars, random releases earlier for the list) and i have seen them at Best Buy (since Trevor has seen them at Target, WM, etc...i'm assuming not a BB exclusive)..

are all 2-disc Special Editions with slipcovers. Here are pics of the 4 above with the slipcovers as i've seen them in Best Buy (personally, i want the box set so here we go again with being torn between my s.c. obsession and getting the most material for your buck...curse you "Masters of Horror").

Last edited by SnapOnTool; 10-25-07 at 09:29 AM.
          Old 10-25-07, 11:41 AM

Clear Covers re: Johnsun

I agree about those clear covers....awesome!! Has anybody seen them on the East coast? If so, where?

Also, Johnsun. I need a new Corpse Bride WS copy. I've been holding out hoping to find one with a slipcover.

Could i send you Paypal cash (or a check) and have you pick one up for me? You can add on shipping, wrapping, time spent charges, whatever you want.
          Just let me know. Or if you have any slipcovers you need, i've got quite a collection i could throw in some as well as cash. I really would love that clear cover Corpse Bride (if it's Widscreen).....please let me know. Thanks..
          Old 10-25-07, 08:48 PM

Hey SnapOnTool, I sent you an email..

Just to avoid any confusion, I'm in Canada and Zeller's is an Canadian chain store, so don't bother looking for the store itself the US, but I thought these DVD and clear slipcovers might show up in other US retailers..

When I first looked through the Corpe's Bride DVD, I thought it was weird that all the slipcovers where over sized.. When I checked the other DVDs, I noticed they were snapper cases, so the slipcovers were made to accommodate snappers and normal amaray cases are a bit too small..

Just wondering, has there been slipcovers for snapper cases before?
          Later
          Old 10-26-07, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the email John, i just replied. Now for clarification. What are snappers? I know the amaray case as the standard (at least in the US), symmetrical, plastic holder which opens down the middle like a book. Are snappers the format that Warner Brothers uses where the DVD closes on the left side with a bar that "snaps" over the thinner cardboard cover while the DVD is in a plastic holder on the right that looks like half an amaray? The aramays look like this which i got from a DVD Amaray Dealer. Am i close or does "snapper" mean something completely different? Thanks again, John.
          Old 10-26-07, 01:53 PM
          DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Originally Posted by SnapOnTool
          Am i close or does "snapper" mean something completely different?
          You described it exactly.

Here is a link that shows a few of the various types of cases.. http://www.andreas-lenz.de/dvd/casetypes/index.php
          Old 10-26-07, 03:26 PM
          DVD Talk Special Edition

captivity unrated will come in a slipsleeve.
          unfortunately the blockbuster i now pronounce you chuck and larry will not!
          (i am really starting to hate universal, as they are one major label which seems to have stopped having slipcovers on their major releases)
          Old 10-26-07, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by philip74
          captivity unrated will come in a slipsleeve.
          unfortunately the blockbuster i now pronounce you chuck and larry will not!
          (i am really starting to hate universal, as they are one major label which seems to have stopped having slipcovers on their major releases)
          hehe I feel sad and happy at the same time about this since I do have to import most of my movies from the states (sorry but I just hate those bilingual covers here in Canada), and well it gets harder to receive them in excellent condition, so I end up pushing back buying some movies I'd love to own...
          Old 10-27-07, 10:47 PM

I saw Tales From the Crypt: Franchise Collection on the list. Does anyone know if that was a sleeve for a single disc case with both movies on one disc, or was it a sleeve for 2 DVDs packaged together like the 2 Garfield movies are? Thanks!
          Old 10-29-07, 11:52 PM
          DVD Talk Legend

I went to Sam's Club yesterday and jotted down all the Fox/MGM lenticular covers I could find. I'm sure a lot of these are already on the list but I'll sort it out in the next update.

The Fog: Special Edition (1980)
          The Amityville Horror (1979)
          Phantasm IV: Oblivion
          Child's Play
          Wrong Turn
          28 Days Later
          Pumpkinhead
          The Howling
          Jeepers Creepers
          Jeepers Creepers 2
          Carrie: Special Edition
          From Hell

Also saw regular slipcovers for:

Tom and Jerry: A Nutcracker Tale
          Dora the Explorer - Save the Mermaids
          Old 10-31-07, 02:26 PM

I didn't really look yesterday since I was in a hurry, but I did see Spider-Man 3 (single disc) and the 2 disc.
          Old 10-31-07, 07:43 PM

Kubrick follow up

Originally Posted by SnapOnTool
          Some things about the Kubrick series i found out...it's just 5 movies (2001, Clockwork, Shining, Full Metal, Eyes Wide Shut)
          One thing of note about the Kubrick set...the DVDs in the box set all have different cover art than the individual releases....all except for "The Shining" (Ole Stanley still f*'ing with us from beyond the grave). If you look at the DVDs in the box even without buying it, you can see the font and text style is different for the Shining. The DVD covers in the box all consist of one simple drawing that represents the movie (like an army helmet for "Full Metal" and Hal's red, bay door light for "2001"). If you look on the back of the box set you can see all the icons next to their respective film. The Shining was supposed to just be a door, not the picture of Jack doing "Heeeeeerrree's Johnny"). I'm wondering if this is an error that they will fix or if they just didn't have the time and/or money to make a new cover for "The Shining"....really wierd. Great movies...tho.

Last edited by SnapOnTool; 10-31-07 at 07:52 PM.
          Old 11-01-07, 04:05 PM
          DVD Talk Legend

Slipcovers for 10/30/07

Hey all!

FINALLY saw the Kubrick slipcovers today. I've been busy busy so today was the first chance I had to hit a Target (to pick up the Spidey 3 Deluxe Edition).

Spider-Man 3 (Single Disc) - Already mentioned above
          Spider-Man 3: Special Edition - Again, already mentioned
          Captivity: Unrated (As far as I could find, only the Unrated version had a slipcover)
          Danielle Steel's Safe Harbour
          El Cantante
          Ultimate Dragon Collection

Target:

Spider-Man 3: Deluxe Edition

Wal-Mart:

Spider-Man 3 (Single Disc) (Lenticular Cover)

Blue-Ray:

Spider-Man 3

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-02-07 at 03:53 PM.
          Old 11-03-07, 11:32 AM
          DVD Talk Special Edition

You can add Elektra (single disc) to the CINEMA RED (Target Exclusive) list. I spotted it the other day while shopping.
          Old 11-06-07, 10:37 AM

I saw a Pixar Shorts Collection at Walmart yesterday that had a sleeve. It's listed on Amazon, so I don't believe it's an exclusive, but I had never even heard of it until I saw it.

Does anyone have the Tales From The Crypt Franchise Collection(Demon Knight and Bordello of Blood)? It's on the list but I've just never seen it with a sleeve. I was just wondering if it was an actual single case sleeve or if it was 2 DVDs held together by a large sleeve.
          Old 11-06-07, 11:25 AM
          DVD Talk Legend

Only thing I've seen today (at Target) was Ratatouille and the Pixar Shorts.

Smartass8, Pixar Shorts is a wide release.
          Old 11-06-07, 03:29 PM

Cars (Blu-Ray) comes with a slipcover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.