Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Definitive List of DVDs with Slipcases

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Definitive List of DVDs with Slipcases

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 03:39 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abintra
According to Rewind (DVDCompare), the individual Batman SE's were released with a slipcase.
Well that's news to me... never saw them with a slipcover. I think we need to get confirmation on that.
Old 02-26-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think all the info from Rewind comes firsthand from someone but another confirmation couldn't hurt. Here's the links that mention them.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=36#2
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=44#2
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=41#2
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=45#2
Old 02-26-07, 05:27 PM
Bye

Well there's your confirmation right there. The "comes with slipcase" refers to the boxed set.

Case type:2-Disc Amaray (Keep) Case
See? No slipcover listed.

Notes:Also in the "Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997" box set, with "Batman Returns", "Batman Forever", and "Batman & Robin", all are 2-disc SE´s (individual releases comes with Slip case).
Sounds to me like English is someone's second language -- I believe they're trying to say that the boxed set is just the individual releases with a special slipcase that holds all four DVDs (i.e., "individual releases, comes with Slip case"). Somebody just left out a comma.
Old 02-26-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Well there's your confirmation right there. The "comes with slipcase" refers to the boxed set.

See? No slipcover listed.

Sounds to me like English is someone's second language -- I believe they're trying to say that the boxed set is just the individual releases with a special slipcase that holds all four DVDs (i.e., "individual releases, comes with Slip case"). Somebody just left out a comma.
You may ultimately be correct but the logic is flawed since they list the type of case with a notation for any special packaging seperately (eg.. Heat).

I'll send an admin there a message to see if they can provide further confirmation.
Old 02-26-07, 07:02 PM
Bye

You may ultimately be correct but the logic is flawed since they list the type of case with a notation for any special packaging seperately (eg.. Heat).

I'll send an admin there a message to see if they can provide further confirmation.
Well the "Notes" in this case are referring to the boxed set, so whatever the reason, there needs to be confirmation.

Oh, and by the way, even if they're only present on the first run, slipcovers aren't all that rare. I'll admit that I might be mistaken, but I doubt it. The releases in question are R1, and that's where I am. I was also anxiously awaiting these SEs, so I saw them on the shelf the day they were released, and my recollection is that there were no slipcovers. This is also "first-hand" information, so I'm not sure why a site that seems to be operated outside of Region 1 with an unclear broken-English description is assumed to be more accurate than someone who is right here in Region 1 and has seen these DVDs since release day.

I'm anxiously awaiting confirmation on this... anyone want to post a photo of the supposed slipcovers???
Old 02-26-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well the "Notes" in this case are referring to the boxed set, so whatever the reason, there needs to be confirmation.

Oh, and by the way, even if they're only present on the first run, slipcovers aren't all that rare. I'll admit that I might be mistaken, but I doubt it. The releases in question are R1, and that's where I am. I was also anxiously awaiting these SEs, so I saw them on the shelf the day they were released, and my recollection is that there were no slipcovers. This is also "first-hand" information, so I'm not sure why a site that seems to be operated outside of Region 1 with an unclear broken-English description is assumed to be more accurate than someone who is right here in Region 1 and has seen these DVDs since release day.

I'm anxiously awaiting confirmation on this... anyone want to post a photo of the supposed slipcovers???
The only assumptions seem to be coming from you. All I did was mention a site known as a reference tool mentioned they existed. You questioned them, which is more than valid as accuracy is the goal here, and the only thing further I had to offer, being the links and the info that is listed there was provided by a user(s), which I did. I did not state nor imply that your firsthand info was less valid than theirs. At most, I pointed at that reaching the assumption they are incorrect due to the notes was flawed because that is the area they use to list slipcovers.

They may ultimately be wrong in this matter but using assumptions (they can't speak Engish so they must not have meant what they wrote, info not provided by R1 users) to prove that is flawed if the goal is accuracy rather than just manipulating facts to fit an opinion (albeit an informed one).

You could have just as easily stated their info may be inaccurate based on your prior knowledge with the title and its likelihood of ever having a slipcover so we should get additional confirmation for this instead of stating I haven't seen it and then trying to state things that aren't accurate to support that.
Old 02-26-07, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike,

I am an adminisistrator at DVDCompare and would like to mention a few things before I get to the point. 1st of all, it's true that the site is not USA based, but actually UK based. Secondly, (and quite importantly), we have over ten staff members from the UK, R1 land, Scandinavia, Holland, New Zealand and Australia, and for a few of us, English is not the mother tongue, and if you enter our forums, you will note a large array of nationalities incuding American, Canadian, Russian, Swedish, Finnish, Ozzies, New Zealanders, Croatians, Brazilians, Italians and obviously some details can be lost in translation.

Now to the point, Batman slipcases. I personally cannot confirm they have slipcases though having just spoken to someone on MSN (who I trust immensely), he has BatmaN: SE and Batman Forever: SE both with slipcases. I have posted a link to this thread in our staff forum so that hopefully the person who did this comparison can remember. All our specifications come from people who own the discs, review copies we get sent or online reviews (we regularly use DVDTalk for specs) but with over 35000 discs in the database and a small team who dedicate their own time to translating reviews from many languages (I am now an expert at extra features in most, lol) we will never be 100% perfect, hence why we have always stated that you shouldn't use us as a be all and end all, but rather as an extra tool in your research, which is why we also link to DVDBeaver's and DVDActive's comparisons as well as any others we find. If you have found a mistake in the database, don't forget you can always tell us, we won't bite.

Hopefully I can post back with a more definitive answer for you regarding these slipcases tomorrow (it's 1.45am here in the UK).

P.S. - You noted above that we don't menion slipcase under case type. We never do this because of the (normally) limited runs, so always add it as a note instead.

Cheers,

Sam
Old 02-26-07, 11:19 PM
Bye

Good grief. I simply want to see photos of the slipcases. The only notes I've seen describe the boxed set, so I don't think I'm out of line in suggesting that the individual releases did not have them.

I guess what bothers me the most is that people are taking anything on a website as absolute fucking gospel, and the reason given is "it all comes from first-hand information"... what am I saying here, that I heard from my brother's cousin's uncle that there may not have been slipcovers??? No, I'm saying I've never seen slipcovers from day ONE of release, so I'm asking for proof. Excuse the fuck outta me for suggesting that one minor detail may be incorrect (hell, not even incorrect, just not very clear) on a fucking website. Remind me never to point out any inaccuracies on Wikipedia or anything -- I'll be run out of town!!!
Old 02-27-07, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wasn't paying much attention but Walmart has a boatload of those gold Award series slipcovers. Must have been 1/4 of a shelf. The only ones I recall were the original Crash and Ben-Hur's though.
Old 02-27-07, 04:00 AM

Good grief. I simply want to see photos of the slipcases. The only notes I've seen describe the boxed set, so I don't think I'm out of line in suggesting that the individual releases did not have them.

I guess what bothers me the most is that people are taking anything on a website as absolute fucking gospel, and the reason given is "it all comes from first-hand information"... what am I saying here, that I heard from my brother's cousin's uncle that there may not have been slipcovers??? No, I'm saying I've never seen slipcovers from day ONE of release, so I'm asking for proof. Excuse the fuck outta me for suggesting that one minor detail may be incorrect (hell, not even incorrect, just not very clear) on a fucking website. Remind me never to point out any inaccuracies on Wikipedia or anything -- I'll be run out of town!!!
OK, so you have proved what I had noticed from my months of lurking and that is you are very hostile for no reason. Where did I say we were gospel? If you could perhaps read what I said again, you will note that I said NOT to take us as gospel, but to use us as an extra source of info as we can't be 100% correct with over 35000 listings. Muppets like you bring great forums like this down a peg or two. For every 99 helpful people, there is one who just likes to stamp his feet and cry, like an kiddie whose parents won't buy him something in the supermarket. If you would like me to put in some of MY time to help you, then please grow up or I simply won't bother.
Old 02-27-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I wasn't paying much attention but Walmart has a boatload of those gold Award series slipcovers. Must have been 1/4 of a shelf. The only ones I recall were the original Crash and Ben-Hur's though.

Yeah. I saw some last time I was at Wal-Mart. I didn't have anything to write with or I would have jotted them all down. I also spotted an ESPN collection too! I was planning a slipcase trip soon to get the info.

Thanks.

And just tossing my hat into the ring, I've never seen slipcases for any of the 90s Bat-Films. I was anxiously awaiting these releases too and was the first one in line on release day. I bought the Bat-Box but checked out each individual release for the specs. Not one had a slipcase. Believe me. I'm neurotic. The only Bat-Film that had a case was Batman Begins (2-Disc).

I'll keep them off the list until pix appear. Don't want people (like me) going nuts trying to track them down if they don't exist.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-27-07, 12:18 PM

I am so far lead to believe my friends are NOT R1's, but this is under discussion still in our staff forum at DVDCompare where I believe it is simply lost in translation (the person who did the comparison is Finnish and probably means slipcase for the box set).
Old 02-27-07, 12:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Mike Adams, this response seems a little harsh. SamDVDCompare was trying to help. Maybe he couldn't give all the information you want, but there's no reason to be rude.
Old 02-27-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'll keep them off the list until pix appear. Don't want people (like me) going nuts trying to track them down if they don't exist.
Or me. I would have tried to track them down also if it were accurate.
Old 02-27-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SamDVDCompare
I am so far lead to believe my friends are NOT R1's, but this is under discussion still in our staff forum at DVDCompare where I believe it is simply lost in translation (the person who did the comparison is Finnish and probably means slipcase for the box set).

Alrighty. That's likely the case.
Old 02-27-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I've seen today (so far):

Reno 911!: Reno's Most Wanted (Uncensored)
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny

Also:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (re-issue)

I saw something else and I can't remember what it was. I'm going to start carrying a pad & pen whenever I go out!
Old 02-27-07, 02:07 PM

We have removed the Batman notes whilst we continue to discuss it. Remember, our corrections forum is always there
Old 02-27-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We have removed the Batman notes whilst we continue to discuss it. Remember, our corrections forum is always there
In case these were overlooked, versus you're in the process of updating them as we speak, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin still need to be updated.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=41#2
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=45#2
Old 02-27-07, 03:01 PM
Bye

OK, so you have proved what I had noticed from my months of lurking and that is you are very hostile for no reason. Where did I say we were gospel? If you could perhaps read what I said again, you will note that I said NOT to take us as gospel, but to use us as an extra source of info as we can't be 100% correct with over 35000 listings. Muppets like you bring great forums like this down a peg or two. For every 99 helpful people, there is one who just likes to stamp his feet and cry, like an kiddie whose parents won't buy him something in the supermarket. If you would like me to put in some of MY time to help you, then please grow up or I simply won't bother.
Sam, I am not directing my hostility at you, but at abintra, who is doing exactly as you suggest people NOT do, and assuming that everything on your site MUST be 100% accurate.

For every "hostile" person like me, there's someone who can't understand that not every thread is directed at them.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 02-27-07 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 03:03 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Dead
Mike Adams, this response seems a little harsh. SamDVDCompare was trying to help. Maybe he couldn't give all the information you want, but there's no reason to be rude.
Wasn't intending to be, and as I explained, the post wasn't directed at Sam. I am appreciative of his help. I am just frustrated with abintra who can't seem to understand that things can get lost in translation when a non-R1 site tries to report on R1 DVDs. I am only trying to straighten things out so fellow collectors don't end up going on a wild goose chase for slipcovers that don't exist. I'll take your advice and bring the tone down a notch, though.
Old 02-27-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sam, I am not directing my hostility at you, but at abintra, who is doing exactly as you suggest people NOT do, and assuming that everything on your site MUST be 100% accurate.
If you aren't dead set on thinking you were being attacked you might want to re-read my posts. I was always in agreement with you that additional confirmation would be nice as nobody is interested in erroneous info nor did I ever assume any site is 100% correct as Rewind is a site I'm very familiar with and have spotted and corrected erroneous info there in the past.

All that was said was the site listed them with slipcovers. You stated you never seen them (no context beyond that). I thought it was useful to include the links to the info and where they originate it from (never stated or implied that was a guarantee of anything beyond that.. just links and the source they use). You said that is why they are wrong because of the notes section, they didn't mean what they wrote due to broken English, etc. My apparent mistake was correcting the logic used to discredit them as the notes section is where they list them anyway.

At that point, you finally provided a context to your I haven't seen them post and provided info why you believed the site to be inaccurate rather than using assumptions to prove it. If you re-read my posts you may see that was what I was responding to, the method of providing assumptions as proof something is inaccurate rather than stating the knowledge you had.

Apologies to everyone reading for the way off topic posts. Until the post Mike stated he felt I assumed he wasn't a reliable source and offered his knowledge why Rewind was more than likely inaccurate I had no idea he didn't realize we were after the same outcome, accurate info. Perhaps I shouldn't have attempted to clarify that I wasn't assuming anything and that he should have provided the knowledge he had rather than misrepresent someone elses as it appears it was inferred dramatically different than written and intended.

Last edited by abintra; 02-27-07 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 04:22 PM

My apologies Mike if the comments were directed at that idiot abintra! (only joking, he directed me to this thread). If we get extra confirmation, I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 02-27-07, 04:43 PM
Bye

If you aren't dead set on thinking you were being attacked you might want to re-read my posts.
Well this last one was incomprehensible, but no harm done. My reaction was to your explanation that the info on the site was first-hand, which to any reasonable person would imply that you regarded mine as either not first-hand, or perhaps not as reliable as someone in Finland trying to describe a Region 1 DVD.

I'm not threadjacking at all... I was simply trying to keep the train from being derailed by misunderstood, unclear information from a website. As has been said, no need listing slipcovers that don't exist. I would have preferred to have been met with a simple "You haven't? Well, I know how to contact the site administrator, so I'll check into it", which is of course what you did, but the added questioning of whether I knew what I was talking about really wasn't necessary. Just because something is on a website doesn't mean it's true, and it's not always first-hand.
Old 02-27-07, 04:48 PM
Bye

My apologies Mike if the comments were directed at that idiot abintra! (only joking, he directed me to this thread). If we get extra confirmation, I'll be sure to let you know.
I think we have the answer, but I don't mind being proven wrong if there are indeed a few slipcovers out there that we can add to the list. I repeatedly acknowledged that I might not be right, my point was that I should have been taken seriously instead of being regarded as just some reckless poster of dubious facts, as opposed to the reputable website that's full of first-hand information.

Thanks for stepping in and offering to help. If on the off chance you do find some Batman SE slipcovers (R1 or not), I'm sure we'd all be interested to see them.
Old 02-28-07, 07:10 PM
Bye

Back on topic, Sitting Ducks - Season 1 Quack Pack had a fold-out slipcover. Also, I'm not sure how specific the guidelines are, but when the SEs of Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were first released, they were in kind of a double fold-out slipcover. In other words, it wasn't just a box-like thing that held both movies, it was like each had its own fold-out slipcover, and they just glued them together back-to-back.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 02-28-07 at 07:12 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.