Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Dvd's that have spines that form some sort of image

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Dvd's that have spines that form some sort of image

Old 07-23-06, 03:23 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 752
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dvd's that have spines that form some sort of image

I searched but couldn't find a thread on this and would like to start a thread on this so people here on dvdtalk, who is into the spine connections can have an idea on whats released that form a image. I will update this list as people reply to this thread. The one i know of are

TV Series
-He-man and the Masters of the Universes TV series
-She- Ra (coming out sometime later this year)
-The Red Dwarf series
-The whole 2003 year of WWE PPV's form a spine image..
-The Farscape (Starburst) DVDs does.

Movies
-A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection
-The Beatles Anthology
-Old Rocky Collection
-Dragon's Lair
-Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (which came AFTER Space Ace)
-Space Ace(Note: for the last 3 titles you have to keep them in the order in which they come in the package, which is chronologically incorrect

Last edited by dizzlle01; 07-23-06 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 03:38 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,911
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Red Dwarf series fits the bill.
Old 07-23-06, 03:55 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There were some WWE dvds that made spine images a few years ago.
Old 07-23-06, 04:01 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Posts: 1,640
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
There were some WWE dvds that made spine images a few years ago.

The whole 2003 year of WWE PPV's form a spine image..
Old 07-23-06, 04:35 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,080
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the old Rocky collection formed a picture (I'll have to check when I get home), I know the new collection doesn't.
Old 07-23-06, 04:50 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Beatles Anthology does, if it's not turned to the side with the box's image showing.
Old 07-23-06, 07:49 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,654
Received 159 Likes on 94 Posts
The Farscape (Starburst) DVDs does.
Old 07-23-06, 09:02 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,460
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I thought the old Rocky collection formed a picture (I'll have to check when I get home), I know the new collection doesn't.
I can confirmed that the old Rocky collection forms a picture.
Old 07-23-06, 12:25 PM
  #9  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Leisure put out a 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition boxed set of Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, and Dragon's Lair 2, but in order to keep the image of Dirk the Daring intact, you have to keep them in the order in which they come in the package, which is chronologically incorrect:

Dragon's Lair
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (which came AFTER Space Ace)
Space Ace
Old 07-23-06, 12:35 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 336
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buffy and angel do, I think
Old 07-23-06, 07:34 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Posts: 1,640
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zman
buffy and angel do, I think
Not in Region 1, they don't...
Old 07-23-06, 09:45 PM
  #12  
AOD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Bruce Campbell invented the internet...and pants.
Posts: 899
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each season of Stargate SG-1 box sets. the top of the spines form part of the gate.
Old 07-23-06, 09:58 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,701
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The old (30th Anniversary?) 'Billy Jack' set. I don't think the new 35th Anniversary set does.
Old 07-23-06, 10:34 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 488
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stargate: SG1
Old 07-23-06, 10:43 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 41,953
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Dragon's Lair/Dragon's Lair II/Space Ace are video games, not movies.
Old 07-23-06, 11:33 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,292
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxim magazines
Old 07-24-06, 06:35 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Dragon's Lair/Dragon's Lair II/Space Ace are video games, not movies.
Well, they do play on a standard DVD player. They're really more interactive movies than games.
Old 07-24-06, 08:04 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,377
Received 513 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by dizzlle01
I searched but couldn't find a thread on this and would like to start a thread on this so people here on dvdtalk, who is into the spine connections can have an idea on whats released that form a image. I will update this list as people reply to this thread. The one i know of are
I believe the term you are looking for is Spanning Spine Image. Most of my tv collection is comprised of them.


Old 07-24-06, 09:39 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 41,953
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, they do play on a standard DVD player. They're really more interactive movies than games.
Agreed (I own them and shelve them with my DVDs) -- I was just pointing out for the OP, who has them categorized as movies.
Old 07-24-06, 09:42 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 41,953
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I believe the term you are looking for is Spanning Spine Image. Most of my tv collection is comprised of them.


Are those custom covers? Or non-R1 versions? And what's that one in the lower right of the second picture? Seinfeld?
Old 07-24-06, 10:48 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,377
Received 513 Likes on 365 Posts
Yep. Seinfeld. They are custom for R1. I designed the Cheers, Seinfeld, and Lost ones.

The later seasons of Cheers and Seinfeld that haven't been released are empty. I just printed out the spines as placeholders.

Other TV customs I've done include South Park, Arrested Development, Charlie Brown, The Office (BBC & US), Undeclared, Mad About You, Curb Your Enthusiasm & Looney Tunes: Golden Collections to name a few.
Old 07-24-06, 01:06 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 41,953
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yep. Seinfeld. They are custom for R1. I designed the Cheers, Seinfeld, and Lost ones.

The later seasons of Cheers and Seinfeld that haven't been released are empty. I just printed out the spines as placeholders.

Other TV customs I've done include South Park, Arrested Development, Charlie Brown, The Office (BBC & US), Undeclared, Mad About You, Curb Your Enthusiasm & Looney Tunes: Golden Collections to name a few.
But not Friends, apparently.

I must say that I find your custom covers to be incredibly awesome. Well done! But I echo the question others have asked -- what will you do if Lost goes longer than 3 seasons!?
Old 07-24-06, 02:22 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lachenaie, Québec (Canada)
Posts: 369
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the X-file one is quite nice!!

is it also custom?
Old 07-24-06, 02:44 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 1,600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael C, you might find this interesting and somewhat helpful in regards to further LOST customs:

From the LOST Comic-Con panel:

"Lost was intended to be a 4-5 season arch ending with a feature length movie. Damon Lindelof said that they are still planning on sticking to that plan but it's hard because the show is a hit now. But they don't want the show to end up like the X-files. They don't want to finish that main story line in season five and then have to "tap dance" for two seasons because the network doesn't want the show to end. He mentioned that when that time comes they may have to consider walking from the show."
Old 07-24-06, 03:01 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Michael C, you might find this interesting and somewhat helpful in regards to further LOST customs:

From the LOST Comic-Con panel:

"Lost was intended to be a 4-5 season arch ending with a feature length movie. Damon Lindelof said that they are still planning on sticking to that plan but it's hard because the show is a hit now. But they don't want the show to end up like the X-files. They don't want to finish that main story line in season five and then have to "tap dance" for two seasons because the network doesn't want the show to end. He mentioned that when that time comes they may have to consider walking from the show."
Not to drag this topic any further... off-topic... but I can definately see where they're coming from. The couple of shows I've considered developing all have definitive storylines (as in, not making it up as you go along, but a known beginning and end), and I think this is one of the greatest downfalls of some TV shows (many TV shows don't require this though and work well without it, like sitcoms, ands dramas like Law and Order). But any Serial should be written with some idea of the overreaching story arcs. The problems come in two forms though: The studios either cancelling the show before the arc can be completed, or extending past it's prime (X-Files) just for revenue. Or an actor/actress leaving the show can cripple your storylines as well.

It's an interesting discussion though.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.