DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Ever been hassled by Kinko's on custom cover prints?

Old 01-22-06, 07:09 PM
Cool New Member

Ever been hassled by Kinko's on custom cover prints?

Just curious, as about 1/3rd of the times I go, I get hassled by them. I think they're so worried about copyright law, they have no real idea how to interpret it.

This came to mind, because on my last trip there (today) they gave me the hassle routine, apparently not understanding fair use and reproduction for non-sale personal use.

I hope this is the right forum, since it is under the umbrella of covers/cases/inserts.
Old 01-22-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The lady at Staples today told me that she couldn't print up the covers for copyright reasons. They're 39 cents apiece there till February 28th.
Old 01-22-06, 10:23 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I argued Kinko's out of it today, by stating that under copyright law, "Personal Use" allows you to copy things, provided you aren't selling them, attempting to pose as a person relating to the business that owns it, etc.

Plus, most of the images are in the public domain. Movie posters, company logos, etc.

They're mostly just trying to do the "C.Y.A." but a lot of it is unncessary.
Old 01-24-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you go to Kinko's how do you even know where to print them?

Do you ask the person working there to make you a copy?

How much do they charge? Are the copies in regular paper or photo paper?
Old 01-24-06, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Arithon
Plus, most of the images are in the public domain. Movie posters, company logos, etc.
These things aren't in the public domain, they're "fair use." There's a difference.

(But I get your point)

Those bastards are so paranoid they won't even let me copy a portrait of Benjamin Franklin. Even after I told them there'd be a $100 tip for them when the job was complete!

Last edited by Groucho; 01-24-06 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They can be a pain about it. I had to copy a few paintings out of books and such in college for projects, and sometimes I couldn't get them to let me copy a page or two from a book. Other times they made me sign some release they had copies of.
Old 01-25-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Those bastards are so paranoid they won't even let me copy a portrait of Benjamin Franklin. Even after I told them there'd be a $100 tip for them when the job was complete!
That was funny.
Old 01-25-06, 08:19 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, they drive me crazy, they've even equated the disclaimer about not copying the motion picture contained on the disc (which I put in for authenticity) with "don't copy the cover", even though it was a cover *I* made in Photoshop.

Usually just knowing the right things to say lets you win. I mean, they even have a form to sign that says you're using something under personal fair use rules.

Last edited by Arithon; 01-25-06 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Grammar repair.