Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Would anyone mind explaining step by step instructions on printing quality covers?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Would anyone mind explaining step by step instructions on printing quality covers?

Old 01-11-06, 01:38 AM

Ok, I know I'll probably get screamed at for posting this, because of the sticky above explaining how to do this. However, I had been reading all over that post about printing DVD covers. I still do not understand it. I have covers from cdcovers.cc, I have coverxp, and I bought some of the Neato DVD Case
Inserts from circuit city. Would anyone mind explaining step by step instructions on how I should print out quality covers? I specifically don't understand the templates or the dpi. If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-12-06, 04:20 PM

The easiest way I have found (after trying many different methods) is to use my printer's printing software, which allows you to auto scale the image to the page. Doing that to an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, bordered (non-bleed) image is a pretty close approximation to the dvd case.
Old 01-12-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't scale the image. The covers you download are the exact size of the case, if you scale the cover will print bigger and you will have to cut off part of the image.

I've never used Cover XP, but the best way to do it, if you don't know if your printer can handle the size image is to

-take your photo paper and tape a sheet of regular paper to it
-In the settings set your paper size to Legal & landscape
-Set your left margin to 0, or close to it and align the image to the left instead of "centered"
-print

It will fit on the one page. All the second page does is trick the printer into printing closer to the edge of the first sheet.
Old 01-12-06, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the help, but I don't have photo paper. As I mentioned, I have the Neato DVD Case Inserts, so I assume they are the proper size. Do I still need to tape another piece of paper to the back? Also, if I do ever tape another piece of paper to the back, do I tape it directly behind, or leave it hanging off a little? Any one who uses CoverXP, I would appreciate help. Thanks
Old 01-13-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
When I used coverxp it had a setting for neato inserts. use that if it is still availbale in the new edition.
Old 01-14-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Id like to know exactly what paper is the closest to DVD case inserts...seems like photo paper is a bit thick and too glossy. Of course Im not sure my covers would look that good anyhow, I only have an HP Deskjet 5550...its decent but not great.
Old 01-18-06, 05:19 PM

bump
Old 01-22-06, 08:03 PM

Another thing you might want to do is NOT get your covers from cdcovers.cc. The qulity sucks. You can see the dpi (dots per inch) of the cover (for example in MS Paint, since everyone should have it). Click on image/ attributes and you will see the resolition (dpi). If it's less than 300, than the quality is probably not gonna be that good. The image should be huge, looking like it's much too big to fit in a DVD case, but it's not. I have all kinds of covers on my hard drive, but haven't printed many because I'm too lazy and cheap to buy some more ink. I've only printed out say 5 covers and only on regular paper. I can't wait to try it with photo paper.
Old 01-23-06, 10:57 AM

Where would you recommend getting the covers online from?
Old 01-23-06, 04:18 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=446077

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=452296

Check those out. If you are wondering what the "Den" is, look in the signature of the member Dagon.
Old 01-23-06, 05:21 PM

you can get Hi res 300 dpi dvd covers at cdcovers.cc but you just have to register and post at their forum.
do a search for the dvd cover that your needing and add your request to an existing thread. Lots of good people there that can help you with your request. it would be best to have a gmail account when u register. the scans are quite large
Old 01-24-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First of all, avoid cdcovers.cc like the plague! The stuff there isn't fit to line your cat's litter box. Stick with the "Den", Generetic, the "database", etc. for hires quality covers. Second, invest in either Photoshop (v6 or later) or Paint shop Pro (v7 or later). Check out some online tutorials just to get familiar with the interface and basic tools (specifically the selection tool, clone brush, paint brush, paint bucket/flood fill, and text generators). Then you can open the blank cover templates you see floating around at all the major cover sites and cut and paste into them. You'll find that the vast majority of cover hobbists use either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, so you'll have more teachers available to you if you're working with one of those two programs. Plus they offer the greatest range of tools and filters for when you progress to a more advanced level of cover design.
Old 01-25-06, 03:18 PM

Are there any good sites for quality covers that doesn't cost money like Generetic? Not that I'm cheap, but being in college, and paying $35,000 a year, I don't really have much extra money.

Last edited by benh911; 01-26-06 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

None with any serious variety. Keep in mind, it costs $ paying for all the bandwidth for sites with thousands of people downloading every month. Places like the Den allow you to earn credits by submitting reviews and news articles, though, so if your finances are real tight, that may be another option for you to consider.
Old 01-26-06, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the help joliom.