Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Saw: Uncut Edition... [insert opinion here] packaging ever.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Saw: Uncut Edition... [insert opinion here] packaging ever.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every single case that I saw had huge cracks on the front cover. I finally found one that didn't have any damage to the front. I was all happy untill I took off the card on the back(what is the point of that thing?) and there was a HUGE crack across the entire back of the case. I hope someone makes a good custom soon.
Old 10-19-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be kinda tough for a custom with the squishy blood-filled thing

It can be very easy to crack though, since it's a large jewel case
Old 10-19-05, 10:53 AM

Given the recent posts about cracked cases and how easily damaged they are, maybe this thread title should be changed to "Saw - Uncut...Worst.Packaging.Ever"
Old 10-19-05, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
It would be kinda tough for a custom with the squishy blood-filled thing

It can be very easy to crack though, since it's a large jewel case
The "blood bag" will be my insert.
Old 10-19-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could just buy another Super Jewel Case and replace the case.
Old 10-19-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One question - I see at DVDcompare.net, the "Uncut" version is actually 30 secs shorter than the theatrical release.

Huh?

Edit : found the explanation at DVD verdict:

"Perhaps the bigger news is the trims. Wan removed all the horribly silly slam-bang nu-metal songs that got sunk into the soundtrack for "marketing and merchandising" purposes. In its place are nicely nuanced bits by composer Charlie Clouser. Also, the film feels tighter, as if some of the many montages used to fill in story gaps have been snipped by a second or two."

Last edited by NCYankee; 10-19-05 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-19-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to Best Buy on my break and picked up a copy. My case wasn't cracked. I don't care for fancy packaging, but the free ticket and color correction is why I bought this. Is the back supposed to peel off easy? Mine seems to be fastened by the strongest glue known to man.
Old 10-19-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Toben
If I were to own the Saw Uncut dvd, I'd be worried about accidentally getting that case cracked and not knowing about it until coming home one day and finding the nearby dvds covered in blood
That will only happen if you are one of the forum's fools who actually lend out dvds.
Old 10-19-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I went to Best Buy on my break and picked up a copy. My case wasn't cracked. I don't care for fancy packaging, but the free ticket and color correction is why I bought this. Is the back supposed to peel off easy? Mine seems to be fastened by the strongest glue known to man.
Yeah, you would think they would use standard booger glue, but this stuff is POTENT! I think mine left a permanent mark on the back of my case.
I only saw 5-6 of these in BB, and all of them seemed fine. The blood thing was a good idea, but two thumbs down for the jewel case.
Old 10-19-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Had to search to find not cracked ones. I haven't opened it yet, but it looks fine. I didn't like the cashier flipping it all around in awe though.
Old 10-19-05, 07:07 PM

This case is great... didn't have a problem finding one without cracks but I am having a hell of a time releasing the discs from their hubs... anyone else? I'm afraid that I'm going to crack the case or the discs for that matter when trying to remove them. And by the way, a few gentle rubs with WD-40 on a cloth will remove that booger glue residue.
Old 10-19-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I managed to remove the back, but I noticed mine has a crack on the left part of the case.

Where can you buy replacement jewel cases? Especially one that holds 2 discs.
Old 10-19-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boss429
...........but I am having a hell of a time releasing the discs from their hubs... anyone else? I'm afraid that I'm going to crack the case or the discs for that matter when trying to remove them.
Same issue here and very, very, very frustrating.

These too tight hubs are becoming a major pet peeve for me. I own a bunch of NoShame DVD releases and at least a couple are guilty of the too tight hubs (and it has actually put me off to a strong degree of being more experimental in my purchases of their titles).

With that said, these ones for "Saw" are probably the worst I've ever come across. I do have some concern over the long-term effects of the too tight hubs (and before anyone says anything, I don't subscribe to the idea that I should spend even more money and time by seeking an alternate packaging solution). If there is some trick to it, someone please clue me in.

I mean the "blood pack" is cool and all but the rest of the packaging blows big time. Even the security sticker was a pain to get off, moreso given that this was a brand new release.
Old 10-19-05, 08:54 PM

Won't that fake blood dry up over time? As mentioned before, why do they keep throwing circular saws into the marketing? Eh? Those crazy apes.
Old 10-19-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
When I bought mine the girl ringing me up started playing with it. She started pressing on it while it was laying on the counter and the blood would run from one end to the other. I thought it was cool for a second until I realized she was probably bending the discs inside. I was like, hey, take it easy.

I didn't have any problems with the discs coming out, but the security sticker was damn near impossible to get off.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 10-20-05 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-19-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
When I bought mine the girl ringing me up started playing with.
I had a similar experience, except my girl was getting queasy watching the "blood" flow. I couldn't believe it, she actually turned blue in the face.
Old 10-19-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, it turns out my first disc has a nice scratch on the edge. That may not be the cause of the skipping I observed when I happened to flip to the scene where
Spoiler:
Glover's partner gets killed
, but I'll be exchanging tomorrow.
Old 10-19-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like I cracked the hub taking the disc out of the holder. Anyway, I forget about it and start to watch the film. Around chapter 15 the disc starts to freeze and the picture messes up. I check the back and there is a giant scratch on the back.

I'll have to take it back.
Old 10-19-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Where can you buy replacement jewel cases? Especially one that holds 2 discs.
They have them here:

http://www.sleevetown.com/double-dvd-holders.shtml

At the bottom of the page.
Old 10-26-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got mine and I think the case looks cool but the hub is the absolute worst hub I've ever seen. The first disc in my set was already cracked in the center before trying to remove it. It was very hard to remove the disc.

I ordered it from Columbia House and they are sending me out a replacement. The case wasn't cracked at all. When I get the replacement, I'll take the discs out and put them in other cases.
Old 10-26-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well after three of these at Best Buy, with the last one being literally ripped open by the cashier I just took it to Wal Mart and got one there. I know that's bad...but college shopping made them some $$ off of me. All one ones at Best Buy had severe scratches and the Wally World one was perfect, now that's not something you don't get everyday.

Love the cover, hate the case. It's ridiculously hard to get the discs in and out and if you push too hard when putting them in, they scratch. If anyone wants to do a custom cover for this to put in a 2disc slimpack armary, i'm sure there'd be many biters for the download.
Old 10-26-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mattressman
Won't that fake blood dry up over time? As mentioned before, why do they keep throwing circular saws into the marketing? Eh? Those crazy apes.

My SLAYER bloodpack cd has since dried up, but it's still cool as hell.
Old 10-26-05, 10:46 AM

If you have the original Saw dvd from Bestbuy (the one with the bonus second disc containing previews of Devil's Rejects and High Tension), you could just take the two discs from the Uncut release and put them in there ... of course, then you need to find a new home for the original release.
Old 10-26-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Bought mine from Target. The case was fine. The discs were floaters with broken hubs. Bummed, but what can I do? Shlep back to the store? nah...

On a positive note, watched the movie last night and happy to report that it's just as thrilling and entertaining as when I first "saw" it in the theatres. Can't wait for the sequel this weekend.
Old 10-26-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Got this the other day. It is sweet packaging to say the least.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.