Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

DVD covers vs. Poster art

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 01:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD covers vs. Poster art

This could just be my own personal thought on the subject and I would like to know what other people think.

I would like to see all or most DVD covers released by the studios to have the original movie poster artwork for the front cover... instead of crappy head shots or the generic compilations released. It just seems more appropriate. Plus the are some GREAT looking International artwork for films too that they could use instead of the American artwork.

Just my opinion though.
Old 10-29-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spoken like a true forum old-timer. Amen to that. The studios need to stop with the crappy photoshoped floating heads covers. 9 times out of 10 the original poster art is the way to go.
Old 10-29-04, 03:48 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks. A perfect example of this is the recently released Star Wars Trilogy and Indiana Jones box set. Great posters... Mediocre DVD covers. Has 20th Century Fox actually taken a look at The Empire Strikes Back poster. It is a true work of art.
Old 10-30-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by joliom
The studios need to stop with the crappy photoshoped floating heads covers. 9 times out of 10 the original poster art is the way to go.

Exactly, but as you stated once in a while the poster art is crap, too.
Old 10-30-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Star Wars covers are atrocious. Even the old VHS special edition covers would have been a better choice than these new ones. Another good example is the Bond covers. They're not totally horrible like Star Wars, but the original posters are killer. Hopefully the new versions will use them.
Old 10-31-04, 01:04 PM

Movie poster as cover art ALL THE WAY.
Old 11-01-04, 10:48 AM
Cool New Member

Some movie posters are fantastic and it is a WASTE not to use them as DVD cover art. Almost a crime. Here are a few examples of what we should have seen.

Old 11-04-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of posters suck. I don't mind non-poster art dvd covers as long as they are nice looking (i.e. Criterions).
Old 11-04-04, 09:05 AM
Banned

what if the posters use floating heads?

actually, whether posters or not, I would just like to see some actual creativity being involved.....obscure reference.....subtle messaging.....somthing that I would look at and make me wonder "why woudl they have an image of (pick an object) as a poster for the (pick a movie) movie?....hmmmm, no im intrigued...."

Example:
Mead Composition notebook for Butterfly Effect
A full moon and a Skull for Pirates of Caribbean
you get the idea...
Old 11-04-04, 10:45 AM
Cool New Member

I agree. Some movie posters do suck, but if you are switching a sucky poster design (floating heads lets say) for a sucky cover design (more floating heads)... I would still stick with the poster design. Usually the poster design has had more input from the director and producer of the film whereas the DVD cover is strictly marketing of the studio.
I also agree that there has been the rare instance where the DVD cover is as good or better than the orginal poster.
I will also go on the record as saying posters from other countries (UK, Spain, Japan) are great sometimes and are much better than the U.S. stuff. They could also us those designs.
Old 11-04-04, 11:52 PM
Banned

I've seen Non-R1 movies posters - I concur with your statement