Community
Search

Iron Giant: SE Delayed Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Iron Giant: SE Delayed Again?

Unavailable for order at Amazon, non-existent at DDD. Anyone have any news? This is a highly anticipated title for me. Only guessing - but Sept (and 9/7 especially) is a VERY crowded release month. Are they pushing it back closer to the release of The Incredibles in November (and yes I know it's WB and Disney, different companies but I had heard there was some sort of tie in).

Any news would be appreciated.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 07-21-04 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009M9BK/
DVD Release Date: September 7, 2004

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...ie&pid=5933118
Street Date Sep 07, 2004

http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_ite...item_id=617647
Release Date: 9-7-2004

Warner's site still has it listed, in fact, they just updated the cover-art to a keepcase. So, my guess is that the Amazon thing is probably just a mistake... and DeepDiscountDVD.com will probably have it listed soon.

Last edited by joshualane; 07-21-04 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 02:16 PM

you could always get a region-free player and order the Korean release (which has been available for some time):

http://tinyurl.com/6jqcy
Old 07-21-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still showing as slated for 9/7/2004 release with pre-order date of 8/9/2004. Status was updated 7/20/2004.
Old 07-21-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by shadowpuppet
you could always get a region-free player and order the Korean release (which has been available for some time):

http://tinyurl.com/6jqcy
While true, this sort of comment is generally received about as well as commenting in the DVD Bargain forum that most of the bargains are still more expensive than Columbia House.
Old 07-21-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
While true, this sort of comment is generally received about as well as commenting in the DVD Bargain forum that most of the bargains are still more expensive than Columbia House.
Going off track a bit here. I just went region-free with the Toshiba 4900 which I bought online and had shipped for less than $90. It has opened up a whole new avenue of movies for me to see. I'm currently going nuts on R3 Kung Fu movies. I had been meaning to pick up the Korean Iron Giant before I saw that R1 was going to get a release.
Old 07-21-04, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Before I begin, my apologies to other readers here.

RANT ON

Ummm, no, I beg to differ. Both examples you cite are STATEMENTS OF FACT that offer usable information for each example's presumed query.

An issue was raised regarding the delay of a domestic release, information was shared as to alternative methods to obtain a version. Whether the recipient of said information makes use of it or not is up to the reader(s) - certainly not you and not subject to your foibles.

Let the message board serve its purpose - to share information. What you find useless info may be a revelation to someone else.

Now if you had used an actual threadcrap posting as an example, such as "Iron Giant sux, why would you want an SE of that?" - then I'd agree with you. Otherwise, let people glean what they want (or don't) from any given posting.

RANT OFF
Old 07-21-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shadowpuppet
Ummm, no, I beg to differ. Both examples you cite are STATEMENTS OF FACT that offer usable information for each example's presumed query.
Nevertheless, the fact remains that many people who visit this site don't want to hear about multi-region DVDs and DVD players, and when people bring that up in the "region 1" section (which we're in), those people will be quite vocal in not appreciating your comments. There's a whole section devoted to discussions of multi-region DVDs. While I disagree with them, there is a vocal group of people who think "If somebody wants to know about a non-region one release, they *should* post there and, if something is posted here [in "region One"], the implication (unless otherwise stated, natch) is that they *don't* want to know about another region, lest they would have gone there."

You can beg all you want, but it is a STATEMENT OF FACT that people will do that. If you don't believe it, you just haven't been here long enough. (But that can't be it, because you've been here longer than me and I already knew it.) Check any given 'Ed Wood' thread, just for instance.

And Columbia House is the same thing.

Let the message board serve its purpose - to share information. What you find useless info may be a revelation to someone else.
He didn't say it was useless, he was giving you a warning and you took it as an insult.

That said, I love my ghetto-rigged multi-region, and I agree with the spirit of your initial post. But, seriously, a lot of people don't want to hear about it. And I can kind of see the logic that if the original poster wanted to know about other region releases for 'Iron Giant', he'd go to that section.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 07-21-04 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by joshualane
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009M9BK/
DVD Release Date: September 7, 2004
Sorry, Amazon's listing now shows:
Availability: THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.
Old 07-21-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm with yakuza. I mean we all know about both region free and Columbia House. We don't need to be reminded in every bargain thread or thread about an unreleased title. Plain and simple. There is an international forum and a CH forum for those topics.

That being said, I can't wait for this dvd. I borrowed a friends a year ago and loved it. Heard there was a SE in the works so I never picked it up. And of course they delay it a year. So I am anticipating it.
Old 07-22-04, 03:05 AM

I'm afraid the date has been changed until the 16th November
Old 07-22-04, 04:46 AM
Banned

Im just sticking with the original release...movie looked and sounded fantastic and thats the most important thing!
Old 07-22-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tom Woodward
That was my theory in my OP. 9/7 was a crowded release day as it was. At least it wasn't cancelled. Now I can spread out some pre-orders better
Old 07-22-04, 10:01 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Tom Woodward
Just out of curiosity, where did you come by this info?
Old 07-22-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by BeckysBoy
Just out of curiosity, where did you come by this info?
Right here.

It is a bummer it's delayed again.
Old 07-22-04, 10:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Indeed. The good news is it will come in a keepcase rather than a snapper. Plus, there's already plenty of other stuff to get on Sept. 7. I know I'll be getting Criterion's "Great Adaptations" box and "Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Greek Myths," so this will save me a little money on that day, anyway.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 07-22-04 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-22-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Bummer!

It sucks that is being delayed but I understand the reasoning behind it. At least is only a few months delay.
Old 07-22-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Well atleast it'll lighten the Sept load....

...while making Nov bigger! Atleast it's a keepcase, extra-two months in exchange for a keepcase - i'll take that.
Old 07-22-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-22-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Might not be the last time this gets moved. 11/16 is also a very crowded release date. Here's hoping for 'up'
Old 07-22-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Im just sticking with the original release...movie looked and sounded fantastic and thats the most important thing!
I agree. Even though I am called "Iron_Giant", the 1st release still looks perfect and the extras do not entice me to spend more of my money and time on the new DVD.