Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Criterion Subscription? Would you subscribe?

Criterion Subscription? Would you subscribe?

Old 07-22-04, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Criterion Subscription? Would you subscribe?

What a stupid idea. If Criterion does something like this, then they would have to spend more money on a sales, marketing and fullfillment staff which means that there would be no discount since they would have to recoup more of their costs. Think about it, if Criterion were selling their stuff at a discount, what retailers are going to be carrying their products since they're be competing directly? Would you buy a car from a dealer if you can get it cheaper from the manufacturer? Of course not.

The only way a subscription would work would be if there are people willing to pay full price to get theirs early much like what Animeigo does with their titles.

Say it with me "Criterion is a business". I'm sure that whatever ideas you marketing geniuses come up with, they've probably already considered. After all, it's their job to maximize profits so I'm sure they have people doing all their thinking for them.

"Sounds like the majority would do it"? My ass. To be sure, there are people who have every Criterion release, but if there's a majority, I would be think it would be people who are selective about what Criterions they're buying instead of blindly buying every release.

Originally posted by Kerborus
I was on my way back from Borders today after scouting out the 2 new Criterions today (way too high $36.00 for Early Summer for my taste) and it just hit me - I wish I could subscribe to their monthly releases, kind of like TIME-LIFE but without the option to return and at a discounted price. It would be great to pay Deep Discount DVD prices and not have to search around every month but just have it delivered to my door.

I'm a completist and I suppose this would only work for people collecting the collection and not individual titles, but I for one would sign up. I know I can order them online, but I just thought this would be one step easier.

Agree or disagree?
Old 07-22-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahem, I said 'sounds like the majority would NOT do it'. There's always one...

Criterion is a business and I think if they could get their core group to sign up and guarantee sales that they would do it if it made $$ sense.
Old 07-22-04, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody mentioned a DVD Empire Criterion sale a while back.

What were the details of that sale?

Thanks.