Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Will We Ever See VH1's "I Love the ..." Series on DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the smash hit "I Love the 80s", then the not so good "I Love the 70s" and the big comeback of "I Love the 80s: Strikes Back" and now "I Love the 90s" on, do you think we will ever see these great TV mini-series on DVD?

I SURE HOPE SO!
Old 07-16-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think the legal rights to all the music and movie clips would be quite a pain unless they had prior already struck a deal before broadcast.

I kinda like the 90s but they make fun of so many things I loved.
Old 07-16-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I kinda like the 90s but they make fun of so many things I loved.
I was thinking the same thing... But that's what comics do, make fun of everything. It doesn't matter what it is...

Anyway I would like to see these uncensored on DVD. It'd be nice.
Old 07-17-04, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it also due to the aforementioned rights problems.
Old 07-17-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope so, i can't get enough of those shows!
Old 07-17-04, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love them as well and would buy DVDs in a heartbeat. As far as rights go, it would be silly for any show being produced in the last 5-6 years to not lock up distro rights to anything that is produced.
Old 07-17-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
I love them as well and would buy DVDs in a heartbeat. As far as rights go, it would be silly for any show being produced in the last 5-6 years to not lock up distro rights to anything that is produced.
While that's true, these shows use such an extensive number of movie and music clips that VH1 may simply have not been able to afford to add home video rights to their contract. Some of the artists may even expressively forbid it.
Old 07-17-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is a big $$$ diifference of television rights (especially for a netwrok that used to specialize in music) and the rights to use it on a DVD.
Old 07-17-04, 05:41 PM
Banned

They will probably show it every month so there would be no need to buy it on DVD.

Just tape it.
Old 07-18-04, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by chanster
There is a big $$$ diifference of television rights (especially for a netwrok that used to specialize in music) and the rights to use it on a DVD.
I'm fully aware of that. What I mean is if a show goes into production today, the producers have to be fully aware of the lucrative home video market and as such I would think they would try their hardest to secure HV rights as well as TV.

Miami Vice= Producers had no clue about home video
I Love the X0's= UNless they are dumb, producers had damned well better know about HV.
Old 07-18-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

heres an idea for ya, get you a dvd recorder, and record it off satellite and forget about it.
Old 07-18-04, 01:33 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts
i taped it this past week and had a marathon of the 90's and watched it all (10 hours) in one day...it was awesome!!
Old 07-18-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts
I Love the X0's= UNless they are dumb, producers had damned well better know about HV.
I'm sure they do.

There's a difference between getting rights to broadcast something, and getting rights to distribute it on home video. If they were to secure the home video rights to the music/movies/tv they're playing on these programs, it would either make the production cost-prohibitive and it would never get made at all, or it would severely limit the kind of content available for inclusion.
Old 07-18-04, 09:44 PM
Suspended

I hope so. Shit, I'll buy "... 90's" just so I can A/B loop Liz Phair's segment.
Old 07-19-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only problem is that they bleep sometimes every other word also.
Old 07-19-04, 11:30 AM

I'm fully aware of that. What I mean is if a show goes into production today, the producers have to be fully aware of the lucrative home video market and as such I would think they would try their hardest to secure HV rights as well as TV.

Not necessarily. Miami Vice and its modern-day counterparts are original programming. VH1 probably initially thought of I Love the 'X0s as cheap filler. I don't think there is a huge market for the "list" shows constantly showing up on VH1 and E! networks. Most of them are interchangeable and only really glanced at while flipping through channels.

For these reasons, I seriously doubt the executive producers would have bothered to secure the HV rights for these clip shows, even if they could have. As much as I enjoy some of these shows when they're on television, there is no way I (or a significant portion of the American public) would pony up good cash to buy them on DVD.

Aside: Kudos to Saturday Night Live to saying "No!" to E! trying to create a countdown list of the funniest SNL moments.
Old 07-19-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Barings
Not necessarily. Miami Vice and its modern-day counterparts are original programming. VH1 probably initially thought of I Love the 'X0s as cheap filler. I don't think there is a huge market for the "list" shows constantly showing up on VH1 and E! networks. Most of them are interchangeable and only really glanced at while flipping through channels.
I disagree. I think there would be a market for those list shows. Being a sports nut, I would love to have the ESPN Top 25 XX on DVD. I would watch them over and over. As for the I love the X0's, I would buy those in a second, I think they have re-watch value. I highly doubt that we will ever see the I Love the X0's though, a lot of that music and movie/tv clips would be very expensive to get.
Old 07-19-04, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Numes
I disagree. I think there would be a market for those list shows. Being a sports nut, I would love to have the ESPN Top 25 XX on DVD. I would watch them over and over.
I actually think they're the worst of the lot! The ESPN countdown shows are like other clip shows on steroids - more quick cuts and flashy pyrotechnics.

Even in the course of a single episode they provide so many annoying "refresher" countdowns after the commercial breaks, it's like you're already watching them over and over again.

Out of all the shows in this genre, it probably has the minimal amount of minutes of actual clips and commentary. I only bother to watch the last part since it concisely summarizes the entire episode in about 5 minutes.
Old 07-19-04, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Barings
As much as I enjoy some of these shows when they're on television, there is no way I (or a significant portion of the American public) would pony up good cash to buy them on DVD.
This mindset, rampant on internet message boards drives me friggin crazy. Why do you think that YOU have any idea what a "signifigant portion" of people would buy? I am sure that just as many people would buy these as season sets of the Waltons or Dawson's Creek or any other TV show or movie you can name. Just because something is not YOUR taste does not mean that "a signifigant portion" agree with you.

Clearly a studio can clear a profit on a minimally selling DVD, or one aimed at a niche market.

Personally, I think that many people would eat thes up on DVD. As far as getting the rights for some stuff and not others, wouldn't it just make sense to omit things that the rights were unsecurable for and leave them off? I am sure that Joan Osbourne would be happy to make a few extra bucks as would most of the one hit wondrs featured.