Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

will Hard Target ever be released uncut?

Old 07-01-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the dvd in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart last night. So since it was the only good title in it that I could find,I figured what the hell since the price was so damn good.

While it is 16.9 and looks and sounds great.

The extreme censorship the violence in the film suffered is distracting. So since Universal is into releasing unrated cuts of newer films. Do you think they would ever go back and restore this film?

I know Woo has not really had any box office hits in the U.S. besides the Mission Impossible sequel and Face Off. Yet you would think the studio would attempt cashing in on his name then at the very least? So far nothing.

So do we have to wait until Woo scores another hit at the box office,or will Universal just not bother? I would really love to see a restored print of this film.
Old 07-01-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried to get my hands on the Japanese uncut laser of this a while back, but was never able to. I'd love to see it.
Old 07-01-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably not.
Old 07-01-04, 04:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by matome
I tried to get my hands on the Japanese uncut laser of this a while back, but was never able to. I'd love to see it.
I have the Japanese Laserdisc edition, it's not uncut.

supposedly, the Australian R4 edition is the unrated cut of the film.
Old 07-01-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I have the Japanese Laserdisc edition, it's not uncut
I hope you knew that before shelling out big bucks (?) for it.
Old 07-01-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107076/alternateversions

mentions that r4 australian version has more violence than the r1. so does a full directors cut even exist?
Old 07-01-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I remember a grey market video making the rounds about 10 years ago. I don't recall what the source of the video was supposed to be, though.
Old 07-01-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if they would license it out? I mean since the film was not a hit(I wonder why? ),so most likely they won't bother to revisit it. Then why not sell the rights to Anchorbay or someone? I mean that is what they did with Army of Darkness and licensed out Videodrome to Criterion,since the films are not 'important' to them(ie-they were not financial hits).

If I had the money,I would love to purchase it myself and release the best dvd ever possible for the film. So we can finally see what it was really supposed to be like.

Sadly it's obvious since the trouble Woo faced with the censors with this film,that he really toned down the violence for his later films to the point of being pretty much bloodless.
Old 07-01-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been holding out on this praying for a new release of it. May look into the Australian version.
Old 07-01-04, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
I hope you knew that before shelling out big bucks (?) for it.
yeah right... no...
Old 07-01-04, 08:42 PM

I do though have a work print version of the uncut version on VHS, and its cool as shit. (and I mean that in a positive way).
Old 07-01-04, 10:14 PM

I like this flick, would love to see the unrated version someday. But I doubt we will see an R1 release.
Old 07-01-04, 10:20 PM

and Universal (US) are complete hypocrites and release unrated video versions of crap films (i.e, the American Pie Trilogy) but don't give the time or day to release an unrated version of 'Hard Target'

raunchy NC-17 comedy good, NC-17 action violence bad.
Old 07-01-04, 10:40 PM

They're doing Dawn of the Dead unrated. It's possible I guess.
Old 07-02-04, 02:12 AM

What the IMDB calls the "director's cut" is what is more commonly referred to on the net as the workprint. You can find it sold on tape (or from a tape source) around the net. Terrible picture quality. Aside from the bit with Henriksen playing piano intercut with the safari, it's not that much better (if at all) than the Euro "uncut" release. In some ways worse (no "Oops" grenade gag) and no one has ever confirmed if Woo's final version would have looked like this anyway.

So, essentially, there are 2 legit versions available: the US version and the Euro version. The latter has a few more minutes of violence but, if you're a hardcore action junkie, you will be able to see that those minutes make a big difference to the feel of the action. It's more grandiose and thus more Woo-like.

The problem is not all Euro DVDs have this cut. I can confirm that the British DVD is uncut and can be found for cheap on amazon uk or ebay. For people with NTSC-only dvd players, I would suggest getting the Japanese or Korean DVDs, both of which contain the Euro cut. I think the K-disc should be inexpensive.
Old 07-02-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the workprint has, and people who are fans of Woo really want to see, is glorious amounts of violence, I mean no one takes less than 10 bullets in this movie, one guy takes 30 plus shots in one scene, overkill yes but very fun to see. And there are more than just the piano scene, there is also a cool scene when Vosloo is tracking Van DAmme, visualizing where they went as the image changes back and forth between what Vosloo sees and then what Van DAmme does.
Old 07-02-04, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giles
I have the Japanese Laserdisc edition, it's not uncut.
Glad I didn't get it then!
Old 07-02-04, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by harosa
What the workprint has, and people who are fans of Woo really want to see, is glorious amounts of violence, I mean no one takes less than 10 bullets in this movie, one guy takes 30 plus shots in one scene, overkill yes but very fun to see.
I haven't seen the workprint in a long time, but are you sure that's not on the Euro cut? The excessive bullet hits are in this as well. Like when Van Damme shoots the big guy an insane number of times, then says "sorripbadashirt" (sorry 'bout the shirt). In the US cut, it's just a few shots, but in the Euro cut he shoots more bullets than his guns could ever carry.
Old 07-02-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Maybe they're waiting cash in on the sure-fire hits Van Damme has in the pipeline.