Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Would you be ok with DVD's coming in CD cases?

Community
Search

Would you be ok with DVD's coming in CD cases?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by davidvp
WTF? This is completely silly.

A CD and a DVD are exactly the same, thickness-wise and diameter-of-hole-wise.

WHY would a jewel case's hub be any more "dangerous" for a DVD vs. an Audio-CD, whose hole is exactly the same size.

Plus, I disagree with your assessment re. the "softness" of a DVD case's hub. What's so "soft" about them? They're no "softer" than the plastic hub of a CD's jewel package.
There is a difference between CDs and DVDs which makes jewel cases less desireable. Whereas a CD is basically a solid piece of plastic with a thin label glued on one side, a DVD is two thinner pieces of plastic glued together in the middle. The repeated flexing caused by removing the disc from a tight jewel case could eventually cause the glue on a DVD to separate. That is why the best DVD case is the Amray case which pops the disc out when you push on the middle - no stress at all on the disc.
Old 07-02-04, 05:31 AM
Cool New Member

That is why the best DVD case is the Amray case which pops the disc out when you push on the middle - no stress at all on the disc.
Yes the Amaray "single" cases are without doubt the best but the "add a page" flap thingy for 2-disc editions does create the same problems as a cd jewel cases...

Cracking...

It is too tight, and damages the discs...
Old 07-02-04, 09:41 AM

How about great big 12" x 12" cardboard sleeves with lovely coverart?
Old 07-02-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I'd love them in DVD-plastic but CD-sized cases. Lot's of wasted space inside the typical DVD case.
Old 07-02-04, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I do hope that Blu-Ray or HD-DVD come in different cases than standard DVDs.

I do love the standard Keepcase, though. It's really the perfect size.
Old 07-02-04, 05:43 PM

...the "add a page" flap thingy for 2-disc editions does create the same problems as a cd jewel cases...
big al,

I don’t believe this can be concluded in general. I store DVDs in CD cases on a temporary basis while replacing the dreaded digi-pack they came in. I have never had a problem with the hubs being too tight, nor have I ever had to flex a disc when removing it (CD or DVD). In fact, the only discs I had to be careful no to flex were in the afore mentioned digi-packs (which explains why I replaced them). The “add-a-page” hubs have also never given me grief, and I have never observed any cracking. Indeed, I have replaced many 2 disc set packaging with double Amarays, and they work great! The only time I have ever seen a problem is when a friend constantly breaks discs removing them from Alpha hubs (IMHO the best type out there) by “lifting here” without squeezing the hub tabs first. Then again, he also “snaps” his discs back into their cases (when he bothers to use them; most of the time he just stacks them next to the heat vents on his DVTV). Of course, that's just my experience, and YMMV.

Oh, and back on topic, count me as one who prefers DVD cases to CD cases...

Peace...
Old 07-02-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Would you be ok with DVD's coming in CD cases?

Originally posted by sracer
Imagine what your collection would look like if it took up 60% less space.
Even though I'm currently out of space, I'm quite happy with the way my collection looks. It looks much classier than my CD collection.

I might have been more open way back when, but it's too late now. I think Kosh on Babylon 5 said it best: The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Old 07-03-04, 06:41 AM

There is a difference between CDs and DVDs which makes jewel cases less desireable. Whereas a CD is basically a solid piece of plastic with a thin label glued on one side, a DVD is two thinner pieces of plastic glued together in the middle. The repeated flexing caused by removing the disc from a tight jewel case could eventually cause the glue on a DVD to separate. That is why the best DVD case is the Amray case which pops the disc out when you push on the middle - no stress at all on the disc.
OK, makes sense.

A footnote, however --- I've yet to encounter a "tight-fitting" CD hub that would pose such "stress" difficulties for a DVD-Video disc. As a rule, I've found that CD style hubs are quite user-friendly and easy to remove without bending the attached product.

> Mileage Varies By Region Possibly.

> Member FDIC.

> May Contain Peanuts.

> Void In NH, IA, ME, LA, NY, and CT.

> Discontinue Use If Rash Occurs.

Old 07-03-04, 02:47 PM

No to CD cases - too fragile and ugly.

I would love to see more movies released in Thinpacks - especially one disc releases and Box Sets.
Old 07-03-04, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about the worst of both worlds, the cases that DVD-Audio discs come in. Seriously, these things are horrible, and they don't really fit ANYWHERE. There are the same fragile plastic as cd cases, but they are taller so the don't really fit in the same space, and of course they look really out of place next to DVD movies!
Old 07-04-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
NO!
Old 07-04-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by davidvp
OK, makes sense.

A footnote, however --- I've yet to encounter a "tight-fitting" CD hub that would pose such "stress" difficulties for a DVD-Video disc. As a rule, I've found that CD style hubs are quite user-friendly and easy to remove without bending the attached product.
Actually, I was thinking more of the clear jewel cases such as came in Season 1 of 24 - they were common in the early days of CDs (I haven't bought many in the last 10 years), and are very tight and fragile - if you try to push down on the middle to loosen it, more often than not you break the plastic fingers.

I had to return the first 24 set I had, because 3 of the holders were broken already and the discs were floating.
Old 07-04-04, 02:06 PM

Can't you get DVD Inlays for CD Jewel cases (With DVD logo's in the corners).

I'm guessing the hub is slighty different so as not to damage the disc?