Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

TV-on-DVD genre popularity taking off fast?

Old 06-30-04, 07:37 PM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a few threads discussing how many episodes you watch in a row or which shows should come out, but how in the first place did this genre get so popular so fast? Was there a few shows that triggered this explosion on DVD in the first place? I personally would like to see just about everything available come out on DVD, and why not, everyone and their brother is buying these in droves. I went to CC the other day and now they have an entire section deticated to TV on DVD. The one that really did it for me was Stargate SG-1. Any thoughts?
Old 06-30-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x files was i think the first show on dvd, and the simpsons selling really well helped start the whole tv show on dvd craze
Old 06-30-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With VHS, I think Columbia House was about the only way to get TV on video. Makes sense for people who want to collect their favorite show. Definatel;y cuts down on available time for watching. It's nice when you only have a half an hour or an hour, you can catch up on your favorite TV. Rypro is right, I believe X-files was the first. You know that Paramount was going to release Star Trek, they milk that baby for all it's worth. I bought the original series in Beta, then VHS, then DVD. I refuse to upgrade to the series sets even though I don't have every episode.
Old 06-30-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From what I gather the popularity of "X-Files" along with the sales of "Sex and the City" and "The Sopranos" is what originally got distributors interested in the genre, and then the publics reaction (like starting to demand shows such as friends, Buffy, and simpson) also contributed.... All I know is that I'm glad it started.
Old 06-30-04, 08:17 PM

I think there are too many shows coming out all at once now. they need to slosw it down a little in my opinion.
Old 07-01-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always been a TV buff more than a movie buff, so for me, it is easy to see why I have buying up TV box sets in droves. I hardly buy movies anymore.
Old 07-01-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only problem with the onslaught of all these releases is worrying if the subsequent seasons will ever show up. S.W.A.T. Season 2 anyone?
Old 07-01-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't had cable for years, so this is welcomed. Just so long as they don't go out of print two months after they come out, I think they can realease them all at once.

I started collecting the x files back when they first started releasing them(actually, I had the video tapes, also). I now am only one season away from completing the set, and I'm happy about that.

Bring'em on!

r
Old 07-01-04, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by JimRochester
With VHS, I think Columbia House was about the only way to get TV on video. Makes sense for people who want to collect their favorite show. Definatel;y cuts down on available time for watching.
Just to add to this, the ease of watching tv on dvd is a huge factory, IMHO. Can you imagine having to fast forward and/or rewind through episodes to get to your favorite?

Size of season sets is also a factor with dvd. Has anyone here seen the Sopranos VHS sets? Sheesh.
Old 07-01-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always been a huge fan of some TV shows too, so it was a no-brainer to buy them when they finally hit DVD. It is definitely a good time factor to be able to watch a few episodes when you only have mayben an hour, as opposed to the at least an hour and a half a movie would take. Now that I have a lot of movies that I originally wanted, I have been concentrating on buying TV sets. I still want a lot more, especially some that haven't made it to DVD.
Old 07-01-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by matome
The only problem with the onslaught of all these releases is worrying if the subsequent seasons will ever show up. S.W.A.T. Season 2 anyone?
Twin Peaks Season 2 anyone?!?!?!

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I think there are too many shows coming out all at once now. they need to slosw it down a little in my opinion.
What you talkin' 'bout, Hicks?!

I too am glad of the trend. Shows I never caught on the air like Buffy and Coupling, I can now see! Also I got into The Shield that way. With shows still on the air, I think the production companies see getting season sets out there ASAP gives them a chance to find additional viewers who can get "caught up". I mean that was sort of how I was able to watch season 3 of Alias and The Shield.

X-Files was the 1st I believe. Also don't forget the odd initial releases of South Park which was coming out in order until suddenly they started the "theme" DVDs.
Old 07-01-04, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog
I have always been a TV buff more than a movie buff, so for me, it is easy to see why I have buying up TV box sets in droves. I hardly buy movies anymore.
I'm not the TV buff, but I do buy more TV sets than movies for a couple reasons.

1) More hours of entertainment for the money.

2) Can watch the episodes commercial free. One thing I hate about watching broadcast TV is the commercials. Breaks up the flow of the action/story.

3) Can get caught up in a show that currently airing if I want to try to watch it broadcast, OR can finally get to see a show that I missed that I always wanted to see.

Getting the ST:TNG series on DVD was a awesome thing. I remember back in its original airing from '87-'94, I always said that this would be a series that at some time in the future I would love to own. The LCARS computer consoles was one thing that attracted me to the series. Which is funny, because it wasn't the characters or the stories as such that drove me to like the series, it was the technology portrayed in the show.
Old 07-01-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish one day there would be the option to buy the entire series of a finished/canceled show (e.g. Buffy, Knight Rider) in one shot. I know there would be syndication issues with the newer shows, but I would gladly pay a lump sum to pick up the entire Good Times series in one shot without having to wait months in between.
Old 07-01-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey

2) Can watch the episodes commercial free. One thing I hate about watching broadcast TV is the commercials. Breaks up the flow of the action/story.

You should buy a DVR. I own 2 Replay-TVs and I have a 2-tuner DVR from Comcast.
Old 07-01-04, 11:49 AM
Suspended

I guess I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. While I of course want the full run of 'Show X' on disc - Hulk, SWAT, Six Million Dollar Man, whatever - I'll be content with what DOES come out.
Old 07-01-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish one day there would be the option to buy the entire series of a finished/canceled show (e.g. Buffy, Knight Rider) in one shot. I know there would be syndication issues with the newer shows, but I would gladly pay a lump sum to pick up the entire Good Times series in one shot without having to wait months in between.
You can with Monty Python's Flying Circus, Freaks and Geeks and Firefly.
Old 07-01-04, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
And The Critic
Old 07-01-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Touche!
Old 07-01-04, 01:52 PM

Don't forget Sports Night!

And soon, Wonderfalls!

What a format!

CS
Old 07-01-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i love the fact that i can pick up my favorite shows and not have to worry about recording them for the future. now i just wish the powers that be would hurry up and release ed!!
Old 07-01-04, 01:59 PM

... And The Prisoner! And Mr. Bean!
Old 07-01-04, 02:20 PM

What you talkin' 'bout, Hicks?!
I guess I should have clarified my statement.

this is what I meant. I have been anxiously awaiting the release of Millennium Season 1. Fox has previously stated that subsequent seasons will only be released if season 1 sells well. with so many other shows being released almost every week now, I just hope that enough people buy Millennium to get the other 2 seasons. I don't want a Mary Tyler Moore situation.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 07-01-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-01-04, 02:24 PM

I have been buying up some great TV on DVD product! I have The Mary Tyler Moore Show S1, Simpsons S1, To the Manor Born, I Love Lucy S1, Providence, Who's the Boss?, Miss Marple TV Movies, Keeping Up Appearances, Sex and the City (minus the latest release), The Judy Garland Show, Coronation Street (documentary, first 5 eps), and Will & Grace S1. WOW! I have a lot more than I thought I did now that I look at my collection! They really are fun to collect, and provide endless hours of entertainment. Now if we got The Golden Girls, and subsequent seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, I would really be happy and have basically all I really need! Or how about some 'themed' Martha Stewart Living DVDs? I'd LOVE that!

Andy
Old 07-01-04, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I hate orphan sets, so I'll usually wait until the second season of a show comes out until I buy the first.

Exceptions to this include "The Upright Citizen's Brigade" and "Kung Fu" - although the rest of the latter's episodes are pretty well assured, thanks to its great sales.
Old 07-02-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

agreed...don't even get me started talking about MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE SEASON 2 and SON OF THE BEACH vol. 2.

MATT

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.