Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

TV-on-DVD genre popularity taking off fast?

Community
Search

TV-on-DVD genre popularity taking off fast?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been buying up some great TV on DVD product! I have The Mary Tyler Moore Show S1, Simpsons S1, To the Manor Born, I Love Lucy S1, Providence, Who's the Boss?, Miss Marple TV Movies, Keeping Up Appearances, Sex and the City (minus the latest release), The Judy Garland Show, Coronation Street (documentary, first 5 eps), and Will & Grace S1. WOW! I have a lot more than I thought I did now that I look at my collection! They really are fun to collect, and provide endless hours of entertainment. Now if we got The Golden Girls, and subsequent seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, I would really be happy and have basically all I really need! Or how about some 'themed' Martha Stewart Living DVDs? I'd LOVE that!
Are you joking? The Golden Girls: The Complete First Season? And Martha Stewart? What's next, the Best of Wheel of Fortune?

I often walk by the TV DVD section and just shake my head at some of the stuff that's out. Who's the Boss? A-Team? Three's Company? The freaking Jetsons? I'm sorry, but do people actually buy this stuff? And watch it? I just don't understand it. Then again, I never watch TV, so TV on DVD doesn't seem all that interesting to me. I'd watch a season once and never again. Too much.
Old 07-02-04, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Daniel L
Are you joking? The Golden Girls: The Complete First Season? And Martha Stewart? What's next, the Best of Wheel of Fortune?

I often walk by the TV DVD section and just shake my head at some of the stuff that's out. Who's the Boss? A-Team? Three's Company? The freaking Jetsons? I'm sorry, but do people actually buy this stuff? And watch it? I just don't understand it. Then again, I never watch TV, so TV on DVD doesn't seem all that interesting to me. I'd watch a season once and never again. Too much.
Guess that proves that not everybody is buying these things.

Count me in as someone who would have never ever thought about getting caught up in buying TV shows. I'm very discriminating in what I buy, but I've found TV on DVD to be a great way for me to catch shows I've been curious about but never made the time to watch them in broadcast.

My buying habits, though, apparently are very different than the minority. Pretty much all the shows I buy are blind purchases, stuff I never watched in broadcast, and I do look at them repeatedly. But at the same time, I have no real interest in buying a show that I watched during broadcast. Part of the excitement for me in buying a set is the thrill of discovery. And I've been pretty fortunate ... I have only bought one show that I didn't like, but I ended up selling it on E-Bay for more than I paid for it.
Old 07-02-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I often walk by the TV DVD section and just shake my head at some of the stuff that's out. Who's the Boss? A-Team? Three's Company? The freaking Jetsons?
Some of this is simply kitsch nostalgia. "The A-Team" may not be a brilliant show, but a lot of us grew up watching it, have fond memories of it, and like to relive those times. We're not stupid -- we know it's not quality television -- but we are reliving our childhoods.
Old 07-02-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my fiance will love golden girls on dvd...
Old 07-02-04, 11:30 AM

I hope I wasn't implying that TV DVD buyers were stupid. I would probably buy something myself if I actually followed a show. I guess it just boggles my mind how far the business is reaching with these; there is simply an onslaught of shows available and some of them just leave me scratching my head. I don't know if I will ever just buy a show, though; they're so expensive, and if I hate the show, I'm kind of in trouble.

More power to you guys, sorry if I sounded rude.

But really, game shows on DVD? Will it happen? An Alex Trebeck commentary, anyone?
Old 07-02-04, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope I wasn't implying that TV DVD buyers were stupid. I would probably buy something myself if I actually followed a show. I guess it just boggles my mind how far the business is reaching with these; there is simply an onslaught of shows available and some of them just leave me scratching my head. I don't know if I will ever just buy a show, though; they're so expensive, and if I hate the show, I'm kind of in trouble.

More power to you guys, sorry if I sounded rude.

But really, game shows on DVD? Will it happen? An Alex Trebeck commentary, anyone?
I might buy jeopordy on dvd if it was reasonable. I love the show, and it might be good background noise for late nights. Besides I could put it on an impress guests with my knowledge like in groundhog day...
Old 07-02-04, 12:08 PM

I might buy jeopordy on dvd if it was reasonable. I love the show, and it might be good background noise for late nights. Besides I could put it on an impress guests with my knowledge like in groundhog day...
It would have to be hardcore "Best Of", as there are probably a million episodes by now.

Speaking of which, if they released a DVD of SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy, I'd buy it in a friggin' second.
Old 07-02-04, 12:12 PM

"Are you joking? The Golden Girls: The Complete First Season? And Martha Stewart? What's next, the Best of Wheel of Fortune?"

No, actually I'm not joking Daniel. I'm not the one with Freddy vs. Jason in my collection. Everyone has different tastes, and last time I checked Golden Girls was the in the top 10 requested titles at TVShowsonDVD.com
Old 07-02-04, 01:26 PM

I certainly would not buy The Golden Girls on DVD, but would buy Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Undeclared, Greatest American Hero, Incredible Hulk season sets, and a few more in seconds.
Old 07-02-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own all of these but Threes Company. The Jetsons is one of the best cartoons ever made period. Whos the Boss is one of the only sitcoms I've ever enjoyed, and A-Team is pure nostalgia.

I buy TV shows on DVD almost every week. I almost never watched TV so I missed alot of great stuff. I'm a recovering Film Snob. I love being able to watch the shows in order and commercial free, and as a collector there is just something cool about owning every x-files and buffy episode ever aired. I also find i watch TV shows over and over, especially in the background when I'm working. So i hope the keep bring them out at this pace or faster.

My only concern is that they will underestimate the amount of people waiting for all the seaons or at least several seasons before buying. I strongly believe that TV on DVD is different than movies, if it doesn't fly off the shelf in the first few weeks, doesn't mean it won't sell well over time.

Last edited by shaggy; 07-02-04 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 02:02 PM

I don't know if I will ever just buy a show, though; they're so expensive,
Usually not a week goes by without the purchase of a DVD-TV-Set (except this summer theres only about three), because I really enjoy TV-shows and they are actually cheaper than a movie.

Look at most new releases they are probably $17 for a 2 hour movie with about 3 hours worth of supplements. Then you take a TV Show (standard 22 episode 1 hour show) which usually you can pick up for under $45. You take the 45 and divide by 6 (number of usual discs) and that becomes $7.50 for one disc (which usually has about 3 hours worth of material (4episodes X 45Minutes each)... and then most set have about 4/5 hours of features, so a TV-Show-on-DVD is less than half the price of a movie and you get so much more!
Old 07-02-04, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I'd love to pick up Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Action, Scrubs, Larry Sanders, etc., in complete season sets for all of their seasons (in the case of Scrubs, all of the seasons so far) but alas.

I know the first season of LS came out, and I didn't buy it, but that's mostly because of the poor reviews regarding video quality (no excuse) and the high price.

Meanwhile, MASH is $30 a season, in great looking and compact sets, and they're nearly all out (or are they all out now?).
Old 07-02-04, 03:36 PM

I think we're forgetting one important thing: The crackdown on illegal sattelite signals, most significant direct tv. i'd say 80% of my friends (including myself) owned a direct tv sattelite (canadian television isn't the best...) and when we got zapped i know ALOT of my friend's went out and bought alot of their favourite show dvds.

As for myself I buy Cheers, Friends, Chappelle show, In Living Colour, and Three's company. I'll definately be buying seinfeld. And i really hope they hurry up with the rest of there's company, cheers & in living colour
Old 07-02-04, 04:34 PM

Imagine putting every season of your favorite tv shows into daisy chained 400 disc changers and hitting "random". It would be like your own commercial-free tv station. What an age we live in.
Old 07-02-04, 06:40 PM

No, actually I'm not joking Daniel. I'm not the one with Freddy vs. Jason in my collection. Everyone has different tastes, and last time I checked Golden Girls was the in the top 10 requested titles at TVShowsonDVD.com
No, you're the one who wants Martha Stewart Living on DVD. Better make room for Christopher Lowell, as well.
Old 07-02-04, 08:59 PM

"Better make room for Christopher Lowell, as well."

Who the hell is that? Last time I checked people were allowed to have different likes and dislikes of tv shows and movies, and not just the stuff you like gets released.

Last edited by garlandtaylor; 07-02-04 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TV on DVD is my largest groing genre at the moment. Most of the $700 I spent on the DDD sale went toward many tv shows I had been holding out on (Who's the Boss, CSI, Twin Peaks, Homicide, and All in the Family among others).

I have nearly stopped buying movies right now, and am really concentrating on the TV genre, as it is my #1 favorite of all time to watch, rewatch anf enjoy.

There are very few shows that I would not want to own, and I can appreciate most television shows. I #1 by far is Sledge Hammer, which is finally coming on July 27th. Can't wait!
Old 07-03-04, 12:10 AM

Actually, The Golden Girls is VERY popular on college campuses among women.

I do think there needs to be more commitment to all seasons of a show. I'm still waiting for Once and Again Season 2, Mad About You Season 3, Green Acres Season 2, etc.
Old 07-03-04, 05:58 AM

Who the hell is that? Last time I checked people were allowed to have different likes and dislikes of tv shows and movies, and not just the stuff you like gets released.
I agree. I think this has gotten a bit out of hand. I'm the one who started it, and I apologize. We each like different things, let's just leave it at that.
Old 07-03-04, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by matome
I wish one day there would be the option to buy the entire series of a finished/canceled show (e.g. Buffy, Knight Rider) in one shot. I know there would be syndication issues with the newer shows, but I would gladly pay a lump sum to pick up the entire Good Times series in one shot without having to wait months in between.
You can do this already. All you have to do is pretend that you didn't know they were coming out one at a time. Then, once they are all available, order them all at the same time. You might even save money this way, many stores offer deals when you get more than one season at a time.
Old 07-03-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could never wait for that!
Old 07-03-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I also find I have been getting more into TV on dvd, of late. What I love about them is that when I don't have time for a movie I can watch an episode of a tv show.

And call me nuts but one area I feel is being neglected, would be full length championship sporting events. While they may not appeal to everyone I think a lot of fans would love to own the entire Superbowl or World Series, that their favorite team won.
Old 07-04-04, 01:25 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Actually, the Superbowl has been available on DVD for the past few years.

I know people who would buy an entire season of their team's football games (baseball, hockey, and basketball would require too many discs and would have to cost a fortune).
Old 07-04-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cry me a river, please.

I'd rather have tv shows on DVD than movies.

Everyone has their own tastes. Since you do not like tv on dvd, don't buy them. No need to protest to take them away from others. When you pass the tv section at your local store, they won't jump out and bite your head off causing you so much pain that you need to call 911. Sheeeeesh.
Old 07-04-04, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by nightwing82
Cry me a river, please.

I'd rather have tv shows on DVD than movies.

Everyone has their own tastes. Since you do not like tv on dvd, don't buy them. No need to protest to take them away from others. When you pass the tv section at your local store, they won't jump out and bite your head off causing you so much pain that you need to call 911. Sheeeeesh.
I realize that everyone would like to get their jabs in, but Daniel has already apologized for his indiscretion. If you read the whole thread, you would have seen that.

Still, with my own apologies to Daniel, why would someone who apparently "never watch(es) TV" even bother to post regarding the subject? I personally can't stand anime, but far be it from me to go into an anime thread and start crapping on it!

Personally, I'm all for freedom of choice. If a studio releases a set that no one buys, the only one that loses is the studio. Get it all out there I say!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.