Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Rewatch value of "Passion Of The Christ"?

Community
Search

Rewatch value of "Passion Of The Christ"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once was more than enough.
Old 06-28-04, 07:16 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's an excellent movie and kudos to Mel for having the courage
to go through with it, but personally I have no desire to ever
put myself through that experience again.
I am glad I saw it though.
Old 06-28-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Zero replay value for me. Once in the theatre was MORE than enough. (not so much from the graphic violence perspective, but because the scope of the film is so narrow...last 12 hours of the life of Jesus).

So this DVD will not find a spot in my collection.

On the other hand, "King of Kings" does have replay value for me... at least once a year. Obviously, personal tastes differ.
Old 06-28-04, 08:46 AM
Hammer & Amicus Fanatic

I will definitely be re-visiting this film enough to justify purchasing it. As some have mentioned, it is all about personal taste and I have seen it twice and see myself watching this over and over.
Old 06-28-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm about 90% sure I'll Netflix this and probably won't end up revisiting it after one viewing.
Old 06-28-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say that there is ZERO rewatch value to it. I know I'll never watch it again. I really think that once was enough to get the point.

To each thier own, though.
Old 06-28-04, 01:31 PM

I'll probably wait for this one to go below the $10 to purchase it. Zero rewatch value. But I can say the same thing about several other DVD's I own.

doc
Old 06-28-04, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by LuisL
i heard there was a book out, you could just read that if you wanted too.
That cracked me up....

I dont think it will see much replay value, but will end up in my collection eventually anyway.
Old 06-28-04, 03:19 PM

I really liked it and will pick up the SE but this is one that I might watch ever couple of years. Its really hard to watch but it has a serious impact on me.
Old 06-28-04, 04:25 PM

You don't even have to buy the book, if you go to Church they read it to you every week.

You have to be either a religious zealot or a sadomasochist to even consider watching the Passion more than once.
You took the words right out of my mouth
Old 06-28-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Robert
You have to be either a religious zealot or a sadomasochist to even consider watching the Passion more than once.
I saw it six times. I'm neither a zealot or a sadomasochist. I just think it's a very beautiful film.
Old 06-28-04, 04:41 PM
Banned

I have not seen it but how could a movie with subtitles do so well?

I thought most Americans would flock to Club Dread and think Passion was a boring art film.
Old 06-28-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
If it doesn't sell well, they'll simply repackage it as Faces Of Death XXVII.
Old 06-28-04, 08:25 PM

I don't see myself watching it very frequently, but that didn't stop me from buying Crocodile Dundee. Like Dundee, Christ has earned a spot in my collection. He died for my sins, so fourteen bucks is the least I can give back. To Christ, that is, not Crocodile Dundee.

Where am I?
Old 06-28-04, 08:42 PM

It depends on you, I suppose. Do you have a relationship with Christ? If so, then you will probably want to watch this more than once. I will because I am a follower, and it also moved me in a way I have never been moved by cinema. Once a year is about how much I'll watch it. Right around Lent/ Easter.
Old 06-28-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't rewatch it SATAN has already won!!!!

sorry. couldn't resist.

my mom is one of those religous nuts that has to watch anything that has the word God in it because that's what those tv envangelists tell her to do. she thinks this movie was the best movie in the history of movies because that preacher guy on the tv told her it was. she wants to buy copies for everyone she knows. I think she's going to buy them from the same guy.
Old 06-28-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
I'll be watching it every Sunday instead of going to church.
i laughed pretty hard at this. thats funny
Old 06-29-04, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by wastro
I was talking about this with a friend the other night, and he summed it up best --- it's not something you'll watch a thousand times, but when you do, it will be a powerful experience every single time.
I think it was an amazing piece of work. Once all of the controversy passes, the film will garner the respect it deserves as the passionate work of art it is.

I'm not a bible basher, born again Christian, or anything like that. I just appreciate the powerful images that the film contains and the blood, sweat and tears that Gibson went through to make the movie.

What's interesting to me is how people complain that movies today have no heart or souls. They are just cookie cutter cash cows for faceless corporations to use to spin off franchises and merchandise contracts. When a film comes out that was made by someone who truly believes what he is doing and making a film from his heart, he is ridiculed for it. You may not agree with Gibson's message or beliefs, but I think the film still can be appreciated for its spirit.
Old 06-29-04, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
If it doesn't sell well, they'll simply repackage it as "Faces Of Death XXVII".
"Mondo Christ" is catchier.
Old 06-29-04, 07:27 AM

I may get this if they include the alternate endings.

Paul
Old 06-29-04, 07:31 AM

Honestly, I don't know if I would ever watch this again. If I did, it would only be maybe once every year around Lent. I would only consider buying this rumored special edition.
Old 06-29-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by ceeece
It depends on you, I suppose. Do you have a relationship with Christ? If so, then you will probably want to watch this more than once. I will because I am a follower, and it also moved me in a way I have never been moved by cinema. Once a year is about how much I'll watch it. Right around Lent/ Easter.
I have a personal relationship with Jesus, and I won't be watching the Passion of the Christ again. Why? Because it magnifies the least important aspect of His earthly ministry... "HOW" He died. The "HOW" is only important in regard to prophecies regarding the Messiah, but "WHY" He died is simply a footnote in the film. I know that the "WHY" wasn't within the scope of the film... so that is expected.

The film is virtually entirely devoid of the message of salvation and redemption found in the Gospel. That is why films like "King of Kings" and "Jesus of Nazereth" are better films for replay value.

But again, individual tastes vary.
Old 06-29-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mookyman
I don't see myself watching it very frequently, but that didn't stop me from buying Crocodile Dundee. Like Dundee, Christ has earned a spot in my collection. He died for my sins, so fourteen bucks is the least I can give back. To Christ, that is, not Crocodile Dundee.
I doubt Christ will get any of the $14 you spend on the DVD. I don't think he received even an associate producer credit on the film.
Old 06-29-04, 02:30 PM
Banned

I would think it would not be to high. I find most dramas are not fun to watch over and over again. However that may just be me. Also I was at the bookstore and saw a book called the Bible and looked throw it the damn thing ruined the ending of the movie for me.
Old 06-29-04, 02:37 PM

sracer,

Sorry to get off topic, but have you seen "The Gospel of John"? I have not and was wondering how it compared to the likes of "Jesus of Nazareth", etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.