Search

Sensormatic strip on DVD? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-04, 09:16 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sensormatic strip on DVD? Help!

Okay, I know I should always open my DVDs when I get them to check them out, but anyway....

I just opened a DVD of The Prowler I bought last December. What do I see? There is one of those sensormatic strips stuck to the frickin' DVD!

Is there any way I can safely remove this damn thing without wrecking the disc? It's on there pretty tight. And after 6 months I'm sure it's too late to return it.
Old 06-25-04, 09:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never mind, I got it. Luckily there was a tiny gap on one side and I was able to slowly peel it off.
Old 06-25-04, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen...almost.
Old 06-27-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
So long as the strip is on the label side of the DVD, you shouldn't cause any damage in removing it if you do it carefully.

If it had been stuck to the data side, then you could be screwed.
Old 06-27-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Z
So long as the strip is on the label side of the DVD, you shouldn't cause any damage in removing it if you do it carefully.

I second what Josh Z said, only vice versa.
Old 06-27-04, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, damage to the label side is more harmful than damage to the exposed side. I know that's counter intuitive, but there's less protection on top - one less layer that they hope the paint will make up for.
Old 06-27-04, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z

I think it's just the opposite. For Audio CD it is anyway, not 100% sure about DVD. On a CD or CDr It's very critical that the label (back) side is not damaged. The data side is well protected.

The "label" side (Of a CD anyway) is the paint and it is actually the backing of the disk's reflective material. It's like the back of a glass mirror. If removing that security strip pulled any of the paint away from the disk, the reflective layer would have almost certainly been damaged and data lost.

I'm guessing that the security strip was placed by machine and something went haywire. I would have returned that DVD in a flash. If yours plays OK then I guess the data wasn't damaged so you were lucky.
Old 06-27-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That is the dumbest thing I've ever saw...
Old 06-28-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Sensormatic strip on DVD? Help!

Originally posted by DRG

That picture reminds me of my copy of the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Had the same exact thing happen with the security strip. However I didn't notice it at first when I opened and played the disc in my DVD player. Believe it or not I watched the whole movie with the strip stuck on the top of the DVD. Didn't realize anything was wrong until I tried to watch the movie trailer and it wouldn't play. When I removed the disc to inspect it I finally discovered the strip stuck to it. I was able to take it off without damaging the DVD, and the trailer then played without any problems. After that I learned a lesson to never open a new DVD in a darkened room again. I now make sure the room has plenty of light so I can examine the discs first.
Old 06-28-04, 01:13 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually for DVD, the data layer(s) is/are sandwiched between two 0.6mm polycarbonate substrates. So, for single sided DVDs, it doesn't really matter which side the strip sticks to, you won't cause much damage to the data layer(s). Except that you might scratch the read side when you remove the strip if it lands there.

For CD, it's a different story. The data layer is on top of one 1.2mm substrate and just below the label. So if you scratch the label, you can damage the aluminum (data) layer underneath.
Old 06-29-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DRG
Never mind, I got it. Luckily there was a tiny gap on one side and I was able to slowly peel it off.
In the future, you could try blowing a hair dryer on high on it for a few minutes. The heat tends to loosen the adhesive, and the thing should peel off easily. Works well on price stickers and such too...
Old 06-29-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Walter Neff
In the future, you could try blowing a hair dryer on high on it for a few minutes. The heat tends to loosen the adhesive, and the thing should peel off easily. Works well on price stickers and such too...
Couldn't the heat also damage the glue that holds the disc together?
Old 06-29-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had a few discs like this. I always just assumed that the strip wasn't placed on the case properly and just moved with the movement of the case until it just settled on a place to stick.
Old 06-29-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never had this happen ever in over 5 years of DVD collecting... then TWICE in the past month, I've had this happen. Don't know if it is a pattern of shoddy quality control at a particular plant or just a coincidence.
Old 06-30-04, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
They probably came loose in the case and then stuck to the disc.

I've had a whole bunch just rattling around in there lately.

Sounds like they're using cheaper glue.
Old 06-30-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Couldn't the heat also damage the glue that holds the disc together?
I doubt the 20 or 30 seconds you're going to use the hairdryer on the DVD would be enough to separate the layers. It's probably not that much more heat than you'd get from having the DVD inside a player for a couple hours.

Of course, if you do separate the layers of your DVD using my advice, I won't be replacing your disc...