Anyone buy Dukes of Hazzard?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-04, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a search, didn't turn anything up. Anyone get this today and get a look at it yet? What do you think? Worth getting? How's the quality of the eps and the extras? Is Circuit City at $29.99 (according to the price thread) the lowest in-store price?

I used to love this show when I was a kid. I don't know how much I'll like it now. So that's why I'm interested in hearing other's thoughts, especially from those like me who grew up with it. (FYI, I was born in 71.)

There's several more TV shows I'll be considering in the next few weeks and months - A-Team, Quantum Leap, Knight Rider. I've been tempted by Gilligans Island that's already out, but haven't gotten the interest enough to put the money down.
Old 06-01-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mine shipped today from Amazon.com. I've been waiting for this for a while. Now all I need is Dallas to hurry up and be released and I will be a happy person.
Old 06-01-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait til mine comes in. I ordered from Columbia House when box sets were 40% off ($23.97). This is the tv show I wanted most on DVD. I had recorded most on VHS when TNN used to show them but I know DVD will be 100% better. Season 1 was the best: http://www.tvtome.com/DukesofHazzard/season1.html
1. One Armed Bandits
2. Daisy's Song
3. Mary Kaye's Baby
4. Repo Men
5. High Octane
6. Swamp Molly
7. Luke's Love Story
8. The Big Heist
9. Limo One is Missing
10. Deputy Dukes
11. Money to Burn
12. Route 7-11
13. Double Sting

mljones99, I too am looking forward to Dallas. Didn't like it when it first came on after The Dukes because I was 5 or 6 but I watched the reruns about 5 or so years ago on TNN and really enjoyed them.
Old 06-01-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Could not bring myself to do it.
Old 06-02-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Got mine from Amazon today for $25.19 with STL. I'm behind by about 5 box sets in watching so I might not get to watching this for 2 months.
Old 06-02-04, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered it from Amazon. Should ship soon.

This is one of the shows that I remember from my childhood.

Ahhh...the fond memories of Daisy
Old 06-02-04, 08:00 AM

I was all over it like Boss Hogg on a platter of chicken wings.

Have not watched it yet tho.
Old 06-02-04, 08:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by bigjim25
I had recorded most on VHS when TNN used to show them but I know DVD will be 100% better.
Haha, same here. I think I have 20 or so tapes of this show on VHS stashed under my bed.
Old 06-02-04, 08:56 AM

I was at Best Buy early in the morning with my Circuit City ad + $5 RZ coupon and walked out the door with it for $24.99 + tax. I watched the first 3 episodes and the renunion bbq and it was great! Wonder why Tom (Luke) was a part of the special. Hopefully they'll release the tv movie from 3-5 years ago on dvd. I remember watching it and being pretty funny.
Old 06-02-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am definitely going to pick this up when I get a chance. I am also interested in opinions from those that have already received theirs!!
Old 06-02-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is a good review of the set.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10985
Old 06-02-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was born in '79, but still have fond memories of the show from when I was a kid and I know I had all sorts of General Lee cars. I saw the pilot recently and was thrilled when the set was announced (its on its way from Amazon!).

The review above mentions that the series was good for a 'few' seasons. So where should I stop? I honestly don't recall the Duke boys being replaced, so I think I'll just still with Bo & Luke.
Old 06-02-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it worth seeing if you didn't see it as a child?
Old 06-02-04, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by bigjim25
Can't wait til mine comes in. I ordered from Columbia House when box sets were 40% off ($23.97).
I did the exact same thing. Mine still shows as pending. Hope they hurry up and ship it already. I watched the Family Guy episode the other night (To live and die in Dixie) that spoofed the Dukes so now i'm psyched.
Old 06-02-04, 02:17 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by scottp120
I was at Best Buy early in the morning with my Circuit City ad + $5 RZ coupon and walked out the door with it for $24.99 + tax. I watched the first 3 episodes and the renunion bbq and it was great! Wonder why Tom (Luke) was a part of the special...
I will be doing this same deal.

And I think you mean why WASN'T Tom (Luke) a part of this DVD set, as I was wondering the same thing. What, was he too busy with his movie career, or...???
Old 06-02-04, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fry's has it on sale for $24.99 ($22.99 in Dallas/Fort Worth area)

Just picked mine up today.
Old 06-02-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
I would say no. Most of this show is nostalgia value. It didn't break any barriers. Might be worth a rental, but otherwise, no.
Old 06-02-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Class316
For this show, I think where and how you grew up would be the deciding factor if you are not buying it because of fond memories.

I don't see a lot of kids growing up in the city getting in to it. If you grew up in the country or in a garage working on old muscle cars or your uncle makes shine, you might have to pick it up.

For alot of guys I know, this might be the biggest DVD breakthrough yet. We grew up watching it in syndication, dreaming about the General Lee and later Daisey.

As another poster said, if unfamiliar, rent it or borrow someones to make sure you will like it.

If I can still afford it after my honeymoon/vacation. I will pick this up when i get back next week.
Old 06-02-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved this show when I was kid. Picked it up but won't be able to watch it until I finish up Smallville S2 & BtVS S6.

As far as buying it now if you didn't grow up with it. I doubt it would be good to a grown-up who is now watching it for the first time.

I was able to catch it a few times when the re-runs came on a couple of years ago and I still loved it. I can't wait to crack it open.

And like lots of other little kids, Daisy was one of 3 characters who was a huge part of my discovery of girls. The other two were Erin Grey of "Buck Rogers" and Jaclyn Smith of "Charlie's Angels". Jaclyn was my "first" and favorite.
Old 06-03-04, 06:20 AM

I picked it up on Teusday. I've watched through the first 6 episodes and I think it's great. The transfer isn't too bad in my opinion. I was a huge fan of this growing up and I still am. I haven't been able to watch any of the extras yet but this is most surely a must for any fan of Hazzard.
Old 06-03-04, 09:34 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I picked it up and watched the first two. Tremendous stuff.
I also watched the 20-yr. Reunion BBQ, which was pretty cool, but man oh man do they look old. Whoa. Only John Schneider looks pretty much like he used to as Bo. Scary what 20 years can do, and kinda depressing. BUT, it's very cool how everyone talks with such fondness and appreciation for the time they had with the show. I liked that.

But again, WHERE is Tom Wopat? It seems so bizarre w/out Luke and not even so much as a MENTION of him by anyone. Doesn't anyone know why he's mysteriously absent from it all?
Old 06-03-04, 05:26 PM

Great set. If you watched this as a kid then pick up this dvd set. Watched 3 episodes and then all of the extras.

Has anybody else noticed on the The Dukes of Hazzard: The Return of the General Lee game preview that the General Lee no longer has the confederate flag on it?
Old 06-03-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LBCrazyFool
Has anybody else noticed on the The Dukes of Hazzard: The Return of the General Lee game preview that the General Lee no longer has the confederate flag on it?
It ain't the General Lee without the flag. Why didn't they change the name of the car then also?

When I was kid I thought the flag was just a symbol of the Southern States. Kinda like the way each State has it's own flag, I thought the different parts of the country had a flag. To me it was sorta like today's equivalent of an East Coast/West Coast thang. Just showing respect to your part of the country.
Old 06-20-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by uteotw
But again, WHERE is Tom Wopat? It seems so bizarre w/out Luke and not even so much as a MENTION of him by anyone. Doesn't anyone know why he's mysteriously absent from it all?
This was definitely strange. I thought at the BBQ that they would've at least talked about him. You would've thought he was Coy or Vance