Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"Believe it or not, I'm walking on air..." (Greatest American Hero pn DVD soon?)

Community
Search

"Believe it or not, I'm walking on air..." (Greatest American Hero pn DVD soon?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
Kinda OT, but here's a pic of some never produced action figures made by Mego, back when the series originally aired (they exist as prototypes only). I thought that fans of the show might be interested to see these.

[img]
http://megoheadtoys.homestead.com/files/GAHA.jpg[/img]
Wow, those are some ugly action figures. Ralph looks sunburned.
Old 05-25-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
No kidding. That is seriously bizarre. Looks like a Village of the Damned kid or Harpo Marx and the drawings are equally wacked. Big surprise they never made it to stores though I wish I had one. MEGO action figures ruled, even if the legs always seemed to break at the knees. Nothing like an amputee Batman to keep a kid entertained.
Old 05-25-04, 11:33 PM

and don't forget the official Raph Hinkley statue.

http://www.electrictiki.com/%22toone.../rhinkley.html
Old 05-26-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should just release the entire series in one set, including the pilot movie. I've been waiting a long time for this ever since I read the rights were picked up by Buena Vista (at least I think...it's been some years since I read the original article that discussed the potential for this show on DVD.) I don't know about the entire series costing 30.00, but I'd pay the same as I would for any good sized set from Fox or WB, and if this is a Buena Vista release, they will more than likely price it accordingly to other similar sets on the market.
Old 05-26-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

GREAT news - this is an all-time fave I never thought would make it to dvd!
Old 05-26-04, 09:45 AM

i'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess that the TV show will be on DVD right around the time the movie comes out (Jim Carrey is supposed to star in it, I *THINK*), but that is still a couple of years off.
Old 05-26-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jarofclay73
According to this website, "The Greatest American Hero" had three seasons. The first season was a short one with 9 episodes. The second season was the only full season with 22 episodes. And it looks like the show was cancelled midway through the third season.
Gee.. is there a 3.5 hour echo delay in this thread?

I wonder if season 3 will include the 4 unaired episodes along with "The Greatest American Heroine"
TVTome.com is your friend.
Old 05-26-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tikigod

What the!? So now Ralph is a teenage girl? What is it about William Katt that confounds so many? He just might be the worlds toughest subject to model.
Old 05-26-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can see it now, it will come in a red box & DVD cover with a big copy of the suit's emblem in the center. That would be awesome. But there would be so many people asking 'What the hell is that show?" I have a 22 year old woman that works for me that has never heard of this show. "Is that like the A-Team or something?"
Old 05-26-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Originally posted by philo
MEGO action figures ruled, even if the legs always seemed to break at the knees.
You got that right. Damn Mego and their cheap plastic. The leg on my Mego Conan figure just broke the other day! (after he was doing nothing but sit on a shelf for the past 15 years)
Old 05-26-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
The flying adventures of Ralph Hinkley -er- HANLEY.

I wonder if season 3 will include the 4 unaired episodes along with "The Greatest American Heroine"
You want to see an episode with Private Lynndie England???
Old 05-26-04, 06:59 PM

Philo,

If you check out the rest of Electric Tiki's television statues you'll see that they are based on original animation designs, not the actor portraying them. It's as if the show were recreated for animation. But, hey you can't please everyone.
Old 06-05-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those that missed it, thedigitalbits.com just mentioned this yesterday:

"Also... believe it or not... we're hearing rumors that Anchor Bay is prepping a classic unreleased TV series for DVD release in 2005... The Greatest American Hero. Nice."

Very cool!
Old 06-05-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tikigod

I now see where Saturday Night Live got their inspiration for the Ambiguously Gay Duo.
Old 06-10-04, 12:38 AM
Suspended

NEW NEWS!

A snippet from videobusiness.com

CANNELL'S TV SERIES TO HIT DVD FORMAT
Titles include 21 Jump Street, Silk Stalkings, Hunter
By Scott Hettrick 6/9/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUNE 9 | Stephen J. Cannell has struck an exclusive long-term distribution deal with Anchor Bay Entertainment to release his TV series on DVD, such as 21 Jump Street, The Greatest American Hero and Hunter.

Cannell, one of the most prolific producers of TV programming, is also one of the few who owns most of his own library (Universal owns Cannell's The A-Team and will release it on DVD soon).

Anchor Bay, acquired last year by telco IDT Corp's entertainment division, has become aggressive in acquisitions and distribution deals in recent months. Last month it acquired London-based anime producer/distributor Manga Entertainment. CEO Ted Green says the Cannell library will provide a good jumpstart to the company's expanding release slate since it includes both high-profile and high-volume product.

Anchor Bay will be issuing four to six DVD series sets at once, beginning with 21 Jump Street in mid-September and Silk Stalkings in early October. Two additional series sets from among Hunter, The Commish, Renegade and Greatest American Hero are tentatively slated for the fourth quarter and the other two in early 2005.

As the deal has been on the table and nearly consummated for months, Anchor Bay has already been busy producing bonus features for DVD sets that will include an extensive array of cast and crew interviews, audio commentaries and making-of featurettes. Cannell, who has theatrical film productions in development on many of the series, has been actively involved in the creation of the bonus materials.

Green said Cannell's production company kept the tapes of the series in such good shape that they were able to prepare them for DVD much more quickly than is often the case for some older series.

Cannell has created or co-created more than 40 shows, including The Rockford Files, and written more than 450 television episodes. He has also produced or executive produced more than 1,500 TV episodes. Stephen J. Cannell Productions owns the worldwide distribution rights to more than 1,000 hours of that programming.

IDT Entertainment has also been aggressively acquiring entertainment assets, mostly in the realm of animation. In addition to Anchor Bay, the company owns computer animation and effects companies DPS Film Roman, Mainframe Entertainment, Digital Production Solutions and DKP Effects. The company is in the early stages of production on two CG animated feature films, Gene Roddenberry's Starpoint Academy and a feature yet to be named, directed by Christopher Reeve. The company also has a minority equity interest in Vanguard Animation, an equity interest in Archie Comics Enterprises, a minority stake in Stan Lee's POW! Entertainment, a joint venture with the Christian Broadcasting Network to develop and distribute family-friendly programming and production and distribution deals with Todd McFarlane Productions to produce animated programming and merchandise based on Spawn and other TMP original intellectual properties.
Damn - dat is SWEET. Gimmie the Hero and the rest is gravy!
Old 06-10-04, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
El Kabong beat me to the post! Anyway, here's the tenative schedule:

Sep. 2004: 21 Jump Street
Oct. 2004: Silk Stalkings
Late 2004 or Early 2005: The Greatest American Hero
Late 2004 or Early 2005: Hunter
Late 2004 or Early 2005: The Commish
Late 2004 or Early 2005: Renegade
Old 06-11-04, 06:09 AM

Ah, here's the exact thread I remembered! I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that VB got the months switched on the first two: Jump and Silk are reversed. here is the accurate info!
Old 06-11-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was always a big fan of Silk Stalkings!
Old 06-11-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Was always a big fan of Silk Stalkings!
Me too! Oh, you mean the show?

Hope we see Greatest American Hero by Christmas. "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air..." Great now I have that damn song in my head.