Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Are "LOTR": EE's that much different than theatrical versions?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 11:15 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I am wondering if there are significant differences with both "Fellowship" and "Two Towers" that alters or enhances story to a better level. I am a big fan, but not a super fan by any means. I absolutely loved the first and was thinking of purchasing EE for that only(I have regular of that and TT).
Even thinking of just renting, but very undecided as to spend any more $.

Main reason I ask is because pending those EE, I am in a quandry as to whether or not to buy "ROTK" next week or just rent it and hold off for the EE, which I think might be worth it.

So you can see I am in a predicament and thought the best place to get the best insight would be here...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-04, 11:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
FOTR adds about 30 minutes.

TT adds about 40 minutes.

That should be all the info you need.
Old 05-19-04, 11:18 AM

not even close, but thanks for trying
Old 05-19-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scott1598
not even close, but thanks for trying
So you don't think adding 30 minutes to a movie would add anything to the story?
Old 05-19-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For FOTR is really enhances the story, now I wouldn't be able to watch it any other way. On top of that the EE has far superior extras and DTS sound. The TTT EE I was less impressed with, and it caused the movie to drag, but the extras and sound are good. I would definately wait for the EE of ROTK.
Old 05-19-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you don't think adding 30 minutes to a movie would add anything to the story?
It wouldn't automatically; if you added 30 minutes to the battle scenes of 'Two Towers', the *story* would remain un-affected.

In the case of these releases, the stories are embellished. However, I agree with Mystic; I wasn't all that big on the additions to 'Towers' (with a few specific exceptions). 'Fellowship' is much better, although the biggest change is an additional prelude (of sorts), "On Hobbits", which doesn't add much to the story but somewhat subtlely shifts the focus back to the hobbits, which is where it belongs (the theatrical versions tend to focus most on the humans, I think).
Old 05-19-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the FOTR:EE made a great movie even more wonderful, but felt that TTT:EE seemed a little more hack 'n' slash.

But in my opinion the extended editions are completely different and, if you really liked the originals, better movies.
Old 05-19-04, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by flashburn
i am really asking about specifics and particulars; as well as viewers opinions as to whether the added footage adds anything of value (more mental, than visual if you know what I mean). I read the DVD Talk review and know minutes and scenes, but that doesn't really tell me how the average viewer (like me) or above average viewer (one that loves the trilogy) really felt about the added footage!
Old 05-19-04, 11:33 AM

I fully agree with the other posters here. FotR was the most successful EE edition. The Twin Towers EE was good but not as good as the first. This is understandable because it's a bridge movie and they are notoriously hard in a trilogy.

I can't wait for Rotk EE. I hope they put it in a Navy blue case that would look handsome.
Old 05-19-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
These should help.

FotR:EE
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...fellow_ec.html

TTT:EE
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...otowersex.html
Old 05-19-04, 11:43 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd buy the EE, you can't go wrong with them at all.
Old 05-19-04, 11:45 AM

Yes, the EEs add a lot to the films, in good ways. Subplots are expanded (in some cases, created) and characters are fleshed out even better than in the shorter cuts. If you like the theatrical cuts, I'd say you will not be disappointed by the EEs.
Old 05-19-04, 11:47 AM

Definitely get the EE's. They're very much worth it. Like everyone else has said, the FOTR one is the better of the two out so far, but both are very much worthwhile. The best additions, IMO, to the FOTR one are the beginning with much more of the Shire and the gifts sequence which really explains when they are used later (and is a huge omission from the theatrical versions).
Old 05-19-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the The Two Towers:EE a lot better than the Fellowship:EE. I thought the extra footage made the first film drag in the first half more than it already did, but with the The Two Towers:EE, the added footage fills some holes, and cleans up some obvious edits in the theatrical version.

The extra features are well worth the twenty-some bucks I paid for each copy.
Old 05-19-04, 11:52 AM

If you're a fan of the books, you'll definitely appreciate the EEs. Beacuse I enjoyed the books when I was younger, I enjoyed both EEs. If you've only seen the movies, you can probably live with just the theatrical versions.

Off the top of my head, FOTR:EE shows:
-Galadriel handing out gifts to the fellowship
-Frodo and Sam see some Elves on their way to the Grey Havens
-Nothing substantial that I can recall

TTT:EE adds:
-Cool flashbacks in Gondor with Boromir, Faramir & Denethor
-A extra twist to the ending of to the Battle of Helm's deep
-Lots of extra epilogue moments at the end
-Extra character moments with Eowyn and Aragorn
-Again, nothing you couldn't live without. IMHO this is the better of the two EEs in terms of stuff added.

ROTK:EE
I suspect this one will probabably be worth your time. It should have the resolution to the Saruman storyline that was cut out of the theatrical version.
Old 05-19-04, 11:54 AM
Retired

Originally posted by scott1598
i am really asking about specifics and particulars; as well as viewers opinions as to whether the added footage adds anything of value (more mental, than visual if you know what I mean). I read the DVD Talk review and know minutes and scenes, but that doesn't really tell me how the average viewer (like me) or above average viewer (one that loves the trilogy) really felt about the added footage!

The EEs are great. They add in a lot of stuff from the books, that really helps the character development and plot in general.

For instance, in FOTR you see the gift giving in Lothlorien which is important as it shows where they get items they use later, Gimli falls in love with Galadrial, which makes his friendship with Legalos more believable etc. In TTT, theres a great flashback scene with Boromir, Fairamair and Denethor (there father) that makes events in ROTK make more sense.

I'll never watch the theatrical versions again.
Old 05-19-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both the EE's for FotK and TTT are superior compared to the theatrical releases. Anyone who doesn't agree is not right in the head. All the added scenes are wonderful and add a lot to the characters and story.
Old 05-19-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a big fan of the EE's and will never watch the theatricals again. The bonus footage really helped TT IMHO. It really added to the story.
Old 05-19-04, 12:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
Both the EE's for FotK and TTT are superior compared to the theatrical releases. Anyone who doesn't agree is not right in the head. All the added scenes are wonderful and add a lot to the characters and story.
Agreed!
Old 05-19-04, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
In TTT, theres a great flashback scene with Boromir, Fairamair and Denethor (there father) that makes events in ROTK make more sense.

I'll never watch the theatrical versions again.
This sequence is reason enough to own the TTT: EE. It is essential to the story and the films in my opinion. And it is not the only inclusion that is worthwhile. The Extended Editions, for my viewing experience, have entirely replaced the theatrical editions, which I consider to be "rough drafts" only.
Old 05-19-04, 01:24 PM

Once you see the EE you just can't go back the originals. Now I'm not a fanboy or obsessed with the series, but they were three amazing films and the extra footage enhances the story. I mean think about it, they were sourced from three books that were, what like 400 pages each? There was so much story that never even got put on film, let alone the stuff that was cut from the theatrical versions. From what I've seen and heard there aren't many people who like the originals and didn't like the EE.
Old 05-19-04, 01:42 PM

This has been discussed over and over for years. Buy both. $14 for the TE is not going to kill you.
Old 05-19-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yup, I picked up both. It wont destroy your pocket book. But for the record the difference between the TE and the EE is like Night and Day.
Old 05-19-04, 02:09 PM

The EE versions add texture to the story. If you are more than moderately into the story you should pick them up.
Austin
Old 05-19-04, 03:18 PM

Go with the EE versions. It was like watching the movie for the first time.

Ferret

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.